Monkton is a character in Breath of the Wild.
Monkton is an retired resident of the Snowfield Stable who will ask Link if he will listen while Monkton tells a story. If Link inquires about the story, Monkton will reminisce about his childhood, noting there weren't other kids around and he will recall playing with his friends, Harry and Mary. When asked about Harry, Monkton will recall daring Harry to go into a maze that he had been warned was too dangerous, which was the last time Monkton ever saw Harry. Monkton's memory of Mary was also the last time he saw her. When trying to explore and search for the ruins at the base of the nearby Tanager Canyon, despite being warned it was too perilous, Mary tragically slipped and fell down the cliff. After listening to both stories, Monkton tells Link that he overcame the grief that came from losing his friends and reveals that two descendants of Harry and Mary are in the stall beside the Stable as Harry and Mary were both Horses. While he may no longer grieve for them, Monkton is still plagued by his memories with Harry and Mary, thinking about them even while he sleeps.
| Names in Other Regions
- ↑ "Monkton" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "A traveler, eh? Can you spare a minute to listen to a bored, old retiree tell a story?" — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "[What kind of story?] When you get to be my age, you start reminiscing about all the memories from your childhood. Heh, to be honest, growing up out in the middle of nowhere... Well, there weren't really other kids around. My only friends were Harry and Mary. I remember playing with Harry out in the maze and Mary out by the ruins..." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "[Tell me about Harry.] There's an enormous maze beyond the Tabantha Tundra just north of here. I don't know who built it or when. The adults always said not to go near it. They said it was too dangerous there. One day, I urged Harry to go into the maze as a test of courage. I...I never saw him again. I learned the hard way that it really is dangerous there. Children have no real sense of danger, I suppose... To this day, the mere memory breaks my heart." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "[Tell me about Mary.] Maybe you've seen the big canyon to the southeast. There are some secret ruins down at the base of that valley. I don't know who built them or when. The adults always said not to go near. They said it was too dangerous there. One day Mary and I went out there to explore and search for the ruins. In the blink of an eye, Mary lost her footing. She slipped and tumbled down the cliff. I...I never saw her again. Sometimes a child's innocent curiosity can cause tragedies that can never be taken back. That memory will haunt me until my dying day..." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "As I grew older, I learned to overcome my grief over losing them. You can't change the past, only the future. Harry and Mary never made it back, but two of their descendants are in that stall over there. My only friends out in these parts were horses, you see. I suppose that's still true to this day." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "I just can't relax..." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "Harry... Mary..." — Monkton (Breath of the Wild)