Ledd from Skyward Sword, a notable Mogma
|Special Characteristic(s)||Mole features|
The Mogmas are a race in Skyward Sword. They are a civilized mole tribe that live on Eldin Volcano of the Eldin Province. They live primarily subterranean lives, and have a penchant for digging for Rupees and other treasures.
The Mogmas greatly resemble anthropomorphic moles. They have long snouts extending from their faces, and are covered in fur that ranges in light colors. They have muscular frames and long, sharp claws they use to dig with. Mogmas also have pointed ears and most have a dark marking across their eyes. Many also have short to medium-length hair in a contrasting color to the rest of their fur, and can also grow facial hair. Mogmas are nearly always seen at least partially in the ground from the waist down, and very rarely emerge above ground. When they are unearthed, they are revealed to have small paws for feet and large, fat tails. They prefer to balance on their tails when above ground, while using their claws for support.
The Mogmas are especially noted to be greedy, with the majority of them sharing a love for Rupees and other treasures they routinely hunt for in the rich quarries of the Eldin Volcano. Their love for treasure is so great that some may even ignore the well-being of others with complete disregard. Some Mogmas carry rucksacks or boxes on their backs secured by straps around their shoulders, which they use to carry their findings, as is the case with Plats and his Treasure Chest rucksack filled with jewels. When they are not hunting for treasure, Mogmas retire to their dwellings to relax. Not all Mogmas go hunting for treasure; Tubert prefers to make money by hosting a gambling game instead. Despite their greed, Mogmas are generally friendly and always honor those they are indebted to.
The Mogmas were among the five races of the Surface who joined the Goddess Hylia in the war against the evil forces of Demise. During the Sky Era, the Mogmas live in the Eldin Volcano. Their leader is Guld, an elderly Mogma who hopes to soon retire and is searching for a substitute.
When Link first arrives to the region, he encounters the Mogmas Ledd and Cobal, who mistake him for a Bokoblin. It is then that Link learns that the Mogmas are fighting the Bokoblins in turf wars, who had invaded in and took over their territory. As Link makes his way through the volcanic region in search for his friend, he learns from another Mogma, Zanc, that a mysterious character dressed in black had went through the area. Link also receives the Digging Mitts from Tyto as thanks for defeating some of the Bokoblins. Link's search takes him to the locked entrance of the Earth Temple, where he overhears from Ledd and Cobal that the monsters had broken the Temple's Key and hidden its pieces. He also learns from them that the monsters had abducted his friend Zelda and taken her into the Temple.
Later on, while searching for Din's Flame, a few of the Mogmas go on a treasure hunting mission led by Guld to locate a rumored treasure in the Fire Sanctuary, whose key clue has been passed down through generations by the Mogmas. A couple of Guld's Mogmas, however, were captured inside and held suspended by chain. Link saves them and is rewarded generously for his efforts, receiving the Mogma Mitts from Silva and the dungeon Map from Bronzi. He also encounters Plats inside who, after a misunderstanding, gives Link a Piece of Heart.
Link again encounters Plats while searching for the Fire Dragon Eldin on his third visit to the region, when he is captured by the Bokoblins and loses most of his items during the volcanic eruption. Plats helps him after he snuck the Mogma Mitts off of the Bokoblins, allowing Link to escape and gradually regain his other items.
- Most Mogmas are named after metals or minerals, with the exception of Tubert, who is named after tubers.
- In the North American and a few other localizations of the game, Nackle's and Tyto's names (チッタ (Chitta) and ニケル (Nikeru) in Japanese, respectively) are interchanged.
- The Mogmas tend to mistake Link for a Bokoblin upon first inspection; this may be based off of the fact that moles in real life generally have terrible eyesight.
"Mogma" may be a portmanteau of the Japanese word for mole, 土竜 (Mogura), and "magma". As their facial features somewhat resemble a dog's, their name could also be a portmanteau of "dog" and "magma".
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Their primary habitat is underground. All Mogmas have a deep and abiding love of treasure." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "You may already know this, but Eldin Volcano is riddled with hidden caves. You can find 'em by checking around for thin, cracked walls. You can find all kinds of things in these caves. It's mostly Rupees, sure, but ya never know. If you get the itch for loot, you should try some cave hunting." — Cobal (Skyward Sword)
- "And that blonde girl they took is probably part of their master plan too. I'm telling you, I can smell the riches from here!" — Ledd (Skyward Sword)
- "Deep underground, below this volcano, you'll find treasure-loving Mogmas. These days, most of them are content with staying down in their lair, where they do nothing but relax all day." — Gossip Stone (Skyward Sword)
- "A unique Mogma, he believes there is more money to be made in serving treasure hunters rather than being a treasure hunter himself." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I don't blame you for not knowing this, but us Mogmas always honor our debts. Let me give you something to prove it. Any special requests?" — Tyto (Skyward Sword)
- "That is Guld. He is the "boss" of the Mogmas. He is currently seeking a new leader to replace him." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa! You're not... Yo, Ledd! I don't think this is one of those red creeps." — Cobal (Skyward Sword)
- "Sorry 'bout that, pal. These monsters showing up and messing with our turf has got me on edge. They show up here, and I'm gonna knock the red clean out of 'em! That's what I'm doing here. Yeah, me, Ledd." — Ledd (Skyward Sword)
- "Grrr... Those creeps just shimmied on in and took over our territory." — Tyto (Skyward Sword)
- "One of your people just came charging through here. Dressed all in black! That a friend of yours?" — Zanc (Skyward Sword)
- "They busted up the key to that door and hid the pieces all over the place. I'm telling you, one of the five pieces is buried right around here." — Ledd (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, that reminds me... That strange blonde girl in the weird clothes got taken away too." — Cobal (Skyward Sword)
- "Judging by the discussions of the Mogmas you met on Eldin Volcano, I infer that Zelda has been taken by a monster to a temple on the volcano." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "So here's the deal... Word in the tunnels is there's a huge treasure hidden in these here ruins... But nobody who's ever seen it has come back to tell the tale." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "All right, then... I'm gonna let you in on an ancient treasure-hunting legend passed down among generations of Mogmas. Every Mogma worth a handful o' dirt knows this one..." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh yaaah! I'm saved!" — Silva (Skyward Sword)
- "So in return, please don't tell anyone that I was captured. It'll just be our little secret, OK?" — Bronzi (Skyward Sword)
- "While you were out, they shook you down good, pal! You're gonna want to get your stuff back before ya go and try anything else. I can get you started. I stole these back for ya..." — Plats (Skyward Sword)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Ancient Tribe · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Dark Tribe · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|