Valley of Death
|Effective Weapon(s)||Magical Sword|
The Adventure of Link Manual Comment
Their movement pattern is similar to that of other ghost enemies such as Ghini and Poes, floating from left to right and swooping erratically to close in on Link. Every time a Moa collides with Link, he loses not only a moderately large amount of health, but also a few experience points. Moas attempt to swarm Link in large numbers. The best way to defeat these flying spirits is to use either the Jump or Down Thrust.
The red Moa found in Western Hyrule is slightly weaker and can be seen by anybody, but the blue Moa found in Eastern Hyrule is stronger and invisible to Link unless he has the Cross. These invisible Moa also appear in Old Kasuto with a purple coloration, but are the same strength as the standard blue variety.
- Moa are based on the concept of a Hitodama, a ghostly ball of flame that represents a deceased human soul in Japanese folklore.
- The Girubokku enemies from the same game greatly resemble Moas in being giant floating eyeballs. However, they fight rather differently, traveling around the screen for a short distance before opening their single great eye, which is Link's only opening to attack, and do not appear to be ghosts.
- The Graveyard found in the Death Mountain Area, which was home to Ghini in The Legend of Zelda, is instead home to red Moa by the time of The Adventure of Link.
- In the Famicom Disk System version of the game, Moa do not steal experience points.
|Names in Other Regions|
Purple Moa, which only appear in Old Kasuto
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 130 (TAoL)
- "Moa are large disconnected eyeballs who are mysteriously able to fly through the air. They have no mouths or claws, but the lubrication which coats their external membranes is toxic to the touch." — The Great Hyrule Encyclopedia, .
- "A ghost that flies over the graveyard. You can't see all of them unless you have a cross." (Adventure of Link manual, pg. 29)
- "Hurry! The tunnel entrance is right around here someplace!" — Link (Captain N: The Game Master, Episode 16 )