A Minish carrying a clover
Hyrule Castle Town
The Minish, also known as Picori by the Hylians, are a small race of people no bigger than Link's thumb that appear in The Minish Cap. Ezlo, the talking cap, and Vaati, the main antagonist of the game, were once Minish too.
The Minish resemble anthropomorphic mice that have, like Hylians, long pointy ears. They came from the Minish Realm a long time ago, when monsters threatened mankind, and gave the Hero of Men a sword of unparalleled power, the Picori Blade. They also left behind the Light Force for the Royal Family. Their help is celebrated annually in Hyrule through the Picori Festival. Every one hundred years, the doorway between their world and the world of men appears in the courtyard of Hyrule Castle.
It is said that Minish are invisible to adults; only good, well-behaved children can see them. The Minish are well-known for their Kinstone hiding capabilities. Wanting their human counterparts to find them, they place them in various obvious and inconspicuous places, and even keep some for themselves to fuse with Link when he comes along.
Types of Minish
The Forest Picori are the Minish that live in the Minish Woods, and throughout Hyrule Field. They are easily noticed by the green clothes, red cone-shaped hats, and feather-like tails. Their elder is Gentari, and the wisest member aside from him is Festari. The Forest Picori also have lots of Kinstone pieces to fuse. These Picori often visit the Town Picori in Hyrule Town.
Interestingly, the description of the Forest Picori Figurine explains why items can be found throughout The Legend of Zelda series by slashing grass and moving rocks.
|Forest Picori (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||Not visible to the eyes of adults, they delight in making humans happy by hiding helpful items and Rupees under grass and rocks all over the world.|
The Mountain Picori are seven Minish that followed Melari from the Minish Woods to Mount Crenel. They now live in Melari's Mine, where they hunt for Kinstones by digging those from the walls. It is common to dig and find bombs underground in this area. These Minish often sing a particular song about their community.
|Mountain Picori (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||These seven students followed Melari from Minish Village to Mount Crenel. Their song is actually a sign that they are full-fledged Mountain Minish now.|
The Town Picori are the Minish that moved from the Minish Village to Hyrule Town due to their love for humans. Their elder is Librari, twin brother of Gentari (the Forest Minish elder). The Town Picori are found all over the place, and even hold a secret diner in the attic of Mama's Cafe. They wear blue, green or pink clothing. The Minish in the Royal Hyrule Library wear orange clothing.
The Town Minish help the residents with various tasks, like Rem, the shoemaker who is always falling asleep while working, to finish his shoes (this being based on the tale The Elves and the Shoemaker).
|Town Picori (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||These Minish like humans so much that they moved from the Minish Village into Hyrule itself! They try to make humans happy, but it sometimes backfires.|
- The Minish appear to be based on the Koro-pok-guru of Ainu folklore.
- It is possible that the name Minish is derived from the word "diminish," meaning to make something smaller.
- Breath of the Wild was originally planned to feature small people as well, with Link even shrinking down to interact with them. While they are not specifically identified as Minish, the video where this is revealed does show footage from The Minish Cap during the discussion.
A Minish holding a bag of Kinstones
- "You can use the power of the Minish Cap to get small, unlock clues, and save Hyrule." — The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap US commercial, YouTube, retrieved October 24, 2014.
- "The Minish (whom the Hylians refer to as Picori) are a tiny race of beings about the size of a thumb." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 52)
- "For example, we had this idea of including tiny people. Since this is a 3D game, we could have all these tiny-sized towns, and Link himself could shrink." — The Making of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Video – Story and Characters, YouTube (video), published March 14, 2017, retrieved March 14, 2017.
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|