A Minish carrying a clover
The Minish, also known as Picori by the Hylians, are a small race of people no bigger than Link's thumb that appear in The Minish Cap. Ezlo, the talking cap, and Vaati, the main antagonist of the game, were once Minish too.
The Minish resemble anthropomorphic mice that have, like Hylians, long pointy ears. They came from the Minish Realm a long time ago, when monsters threatened mankind, and gave the Hero of Men a sword of unparalleled power, the Picori Blade. They also left behind the Light Force for the Royal Family. Their help is celebrated annually in Hyrule through the Picori Festival. Every one hundred years, the doorway between their world and the world of men appears in the courtyard of Hyrule Castle.
It is said that Minish are invisible to adults; only good, well-behaved children can see them. The Minish are well-known for their Kinstone hiding capabilities. Wanting their human counterparts to find them, they place them in various obvious and inconspicuous places, and even keep some for themselves to fuse with Link when he comes along.
Types of Minish
- Main article: Forest Picori
- Main article: Mountain Minish
- Main article: Town Minish
- Other name ideas for the Minish included "Chilorians" and "Tiny People".
- Whereas the Minish are known as Picori to Humans in the English version of the game, the other language versions do not actually feature such a distinction and have Minish and Humans using the same word.
- The Minish appear to be based on the Koro-pok-guru of Ainu folklore. Likewise, the Town Picori are reminiscent of the Brownies from Scottish folklore and the German Heinzelmännchen.
- Breath of the Wild was originally planned to feature small people as well, with Link even shrinking down to interact with them. While they are not specifically identified as Minish, the video where this is revealed does show footage from The Minish Cap during the discussion.
It is possible that the name Minish is derived from the word "diminish," meaning to make something smaller.
- "You can use the power of the Minish Cap to get small, unlock clues, and save Hyrule." — The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap US commercial, YouTube, retrieved October 24, 2014.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 270(TMC)
- "The Minish (whom the Hylians refer to as Picori) are a tiny race of beings about the size of a thumb." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 52)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 273
- "For example, we had this idea of including tiny people. Since this is a 3D game, we could have all these tiny-sized towns, and Link himself could shrink." — The Making of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Video – Story and Characters, YouTube (video), published March 14, 2017, retrieved March 14, 2017.
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|