Mercay Island is a location in Phantom Hourglass. It is the island on which Link wakes up after attempting to rescue Tetra from the Ghost Ship. The island is where he meets his companion, Ciela, and Oshus. As the island is the starting location of the game, the enemies are small and weak, such as ChuChus and Rats. However, the island is the location of the more sinister Temple of the Ocean King.
Features and Overview
Many earthquakes occur on the island. These earthquakes often cause the bridge connecting the western part to the eastern part of the island to collapse. This forces the islanders to get from one side of the island to the other by going through an alternative path that leads to a dark cave filled with monsters. This happens to Link early in the game, forcing him to take a route though dangerous caves, crawling with rats, and with puzzles to solve.
Link can find Oshus's Sword in the latter's storehouse, a cave next to Oshus' house. The sword is locked behind a locked door to prevent people from touching his belongings. In order to open the door, Link must write a certain number on a sign, this number corresponds to the number of palm trees on the island's beach. This number is seven.
In the main port village on Mercay there is a shop selling Treasure, Potions, Power Gems and a Wooden Shield. There is a tavern as well where Link must ask about Linebeck's whereabouts; he later meets Linebeck in the Temple of the Ocean King. Additionally there is a shipyard where Link can get the Salvage Arm repaired and change ship parts, giving the ship more stamina and a different look.
Mercay Island has a smaller island off its north-eastern coast, on which Link meets Freedle and gains a Wisdom Gem, as well as a Treasure Map. This and the music support the opinion that the island is very much like Windfall Island.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||メルカ島 (Meruka shima)||Merca Island|
|FrenchCA||Ile Mercay||Mercay Island|
|FrenchEU||Ile Melka||Melka Island|
|Spanish||Isla Mercay||Mercay Island|
Mercay Island as seen from the S.S. Linebeck
- PH Mercayvillage.png
The island off Mercay Island where Tag Mode takes place
- "Mercay Island" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 113 (PH))
- "So many quakes lately." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "We've seen so many quakes rattle the island lately, Link" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, heavens! That quake just broke the bridge again! So many quakes lately, and the bridge breaks every time there's a big one!" — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There's a second way to get to town, fortunately. Unfortunately, it leads through a frightening cave full of monsters." — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Be cautious, young ones. That cave up north leads to the port, it's true. But that path will be crawling with monsters." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Grandpa uses this cave as his storehouse." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Keep your hands off my things. Please ask first." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I remember he cracks open the door by writing a number on that sign. I think he says it's the number of palm trees on the beach" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Welcome to Mercay Island's port! You'd normally see sailors coming and going...." — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)