Features and Overview
In Phantom Hourglass, many earthquakes occur on Mercay Island. These earthquakes often cause the bridge connecting the western part to the eastern part of the Island to collapse. This forces the islanders to get from one side of the Island to the other by going through an alternative path that leads to a dark cave filled with monsters. This happens to Link early in the game, forcing him to take a route though dangerous caves.
Link can find Oshus's Sword in the latter's storehouse, a cave next to Oshus' house. The Sword is kept behind a locked door to prevent people from touching his belongings. In order to open the door, Link must write a certain number on a sign, this number corresponds to the number of Palm Trees on the Island's beach: seven.
In the main port village on Mercay there is a shop selling Treasure, Potions, Power Gems and a Wooden Shield. There is a Tavern as well where Link must ask about Linebeck's whereabouts; he later meets Linebeck in the Temple of the Ocean King. Additionally there is a Shipyard where Link can get the Salvage Arm repaired and change Ship Parts, giving the Ship more stamina and a different look.
Breath of the Wild
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||メルカ島 (Meruka Tō) (PH | BotW)||Meruka Island|
|FrenchCA||Ile Mercay||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Ile Melka||Melka Island|
|German||Insel Melka||Melka Island|
|Italian||Isola melka||Melka Island|
|SpanishEU||Isla Mercay||Same as English.|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 113 (PH)
- "Mercay Island" — Map (Breath of the Wild)
- "So many quakes lately." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "We've seen so many quakes rattle the island lately, Link" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, heavens! That quake just broke the bridge again! So many quakes lately, and the bridge breaks every time there's a big one!" — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There's a second way to get to town, fortunately. Unfortunately, it leads through a frightening cave full of monsters." — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Be cautious, young ones. That cave up north leads to the port, it's true. But that path will be crawling with monsters." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Grandpa uses this cave as his storehouse." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Keep your hands off my things. Please ask first." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I remember he cracks open the door by writing a number on that sign. I think he says it's the number of palm trees on the beach" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Welcome to Mercay Island's port! You'd normally see sailors coming and going...." — Mercay Islander (Phantom Hourglass)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 285