Medli artwork from The Wind Waker HD
Sage of the Earth Temple (TWW)
Sage of Earth (HWL)
Rito Sage of Earth (HWDE)
Medli is a character in The Wind Waker. She is a young Rito, and the apprentice attendant of Valoo, the patron deity of the Rito. She is close friends with Komali and is always watching and worrying over him. Medli is known to be kind-hearted and responsible and, when it comes to helping others, she is not afraid to take on challenges and other obstacles that might get in her way despite not being able to fly too well. Medli accompanies Link into two dungeons, Dragon Roost Cavern and the Earth Temple, in order to fulfill her job as attendant of Valoo and as the Sage of Earth, respectively.
Even during her free time, Medli can be seen and heard trying to improve her skills as Valoo's attendant by practicing her most valued possession: the Rito Harp. She is also notable as one of the few characters that can be controlled other than Link.
Some time before The Wind Waker, Medli was chosen by Komali's Grandmother to become her apprentice and successor as Valoo's attendant. Komali's grandmother saw the harp that Medli was carrying and had sensed what destiny had in store for the young girl, but kept quiet about it; instead, she used her position to teach Medli all that she had to know until the day fate would call her. However, Komali's grandmother passed away, leading Medli to became the new attendant of Valoo, but unlike the former attendant of the Sky Spirit, Medli could not fully understand Valoo's language and thus was not too confident in her abilities.
One day, Gohma appeared in the Dragon Roost Cavern and began tormenting Valoo's tail, causing the Sky Spirit to go into a fit of rage. Valoo's home became inaccessible and Medli could no longer fulfill her job as his attendant. Moreover, since Medli was not as knowledgeable with the Sky Spirit's language, she could not truly comprehend why Valoo had begun to go berserk. Due to this, Medli feels it is partly her fault that Prince Komali has shut himself in and lost his confidence to go and ask Valoo for his pair of wings: for if Medli had possessed some of Komali's grandmother's strength, the prince of the Rito would have more faith in himself.
Eventually, Link arrives on Dragon Roost Island and is asked to meet with Medli so that the hero can give Prince Komali a letter from his father. After handing over the letter, Medli in turn asks Link to meet her at the entrance of Dragon Roost Cavern once he has spoken with Prince Komali. Link complies with Medli's favor and goes to meet her at the entrance of Dragon Roost Cavern, where she expresses her blame about Prince Komali's rude behavior towards Link. She also asks that Link help her reach Valoo by giving her a lift to the entrance of the cavern. Medli successfully gets some wind under her wings and reaches the entrance, where she thanks Link and asks that Link looks out after Prince Komali if anything is to happen to her as she climbs Dragon Roost to meet with Valoo. Just before she departs, she gives the Link an empty Bottle, and wishes good luck to the both of them.
Link promptly follows Medli into the cavern after he hears that several Rito saw her get kidnapped by monsters. After ascending Dragon Roost Cavern, Link finds her locked up in a cage high atop the mountain where she is being guarded by two Bokoblins. Link gets rid of them and frees Medli, who informs him that a creature is tormenting Lord Valoo's tail. She asks him to save the Sky Spirit and gives him the Grappling Hook to help him reach Valoo, which is what she used to get to the top of Dragon Roost. Medli then takes off to get help from the other Rito.
After saving Valoo from Gohma, Link, Medli, and Komali meet on the beach of Dragon Roost Island, where Medli supports Komali in giving his most precious possession, Din's Pearl, to Link. As Link does not understand ancient Hylian, Medli kindly translates Valoo's words of gratitude to Link and also gives her interpretation of the Sky Spirit's hints of where Link should go next. They say goodbye to each other when Komali runs away to obtain his pair of wings from Valoo and Medli feels she need to go with him.
Sage of Earth
With the Sky Spirit now safe, Medli goes back to studying for her job as Valoo's attendant, practicing her harp on one of the cliffs of Dragon Roost Island. Once Link meets Laruto, the former Sage of Earth before Ganondorf murdered her, she informs the hero that he must look for the one carries the same sacred instrument as her, a harp, and play the "Earth God's Lyric," the melody that will awaken the new Sage of Earth. Link returns to Dragon Roost Island where, upon finding Medli, she reveals that Prince Komali has been asking all about his adventures, expressing her pride in him yet also sadness that Komali is now doing things without her guidance. As instructed by Laruto, Link conducts the "Earth God's Lyric" as Medli plays along with her harp, which causes the young girl to faint. She meets Laruto in her dreams, where the two of them play the sacred song. Realizing her new duty, Medli wakes up as the new Sage of Earth, overwhelmed by the fact that she can actually do something to help the world. She asks that Link take her to the Earth Temple, quietly and quickly, for she wishes for Prince Komali to not take notice of her departure and to just remember her as a simple attendant.
Once at the Earth Temple, the King of Red Lions advises Link and Medli how to progress through the temple, resulting in Link gaining control of another character. The basic setup in the temple is that Medli closely follows Link unless she cannot for whatever reason or because Link commands her to stay still. By pressing the R Button, Link can call Medli to him. By using the "Command Melody," Link can take control of Medli and can use her ability of flight to reach places otherwise inaccessible, and can also use her harp to deflect rays of light, which are often used as part of light puzzles. Medli can also be picked up and carried by Link to reach certain areas. Though Medli is not yet proficient at flying, she can carry Link across gaps for a short amount of time.
Link temporarily leaves Medli to fight Jalhalla, but she joins him again after the defeat of the giant Poe to fulfill her duty as the Sage of Earth. Link conducts the "Earth God's Lyric" for Medli as she plays the song on her harp. As they play it, Laruto temporarily appears next to Medli to play along. This restores some of the power of the Master Sword, to which the young Rito takes notice and urges Link to go to the Wind Temple to completely restore the legendary blade's full power. Medli stays inside the Earth Temple continuing to pray so that the Power to Repel Evil can return to the Master Sword. As Link departs back to the Great Sea, Medli asks Link to watch over Prince Komali for her.
|Medli (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island|
Personality: Serious and sincere
Medli is Valoo's attendant, and as such puts incredible effort into everything she does. Even so, there are times when she seems to be spinning her wheels.
Her greatest treasure is her harp that she carries on her back.
- The symbol on Medli's apron is similar to that of Nayru's Pearl and the Zora's Sapphire. This may be a reference that the Rito tribe evolved from the Zora.
Due to The Wind Waker being heavily associated with music, it is possible that Medli's name could be a pun on "Medley" or "Melody". Medli's name also sounds similar to the Sanskrit name "Medini", which means "earth".
|Names in Other Regions|
|Rito Harp gameplay from Hyrule Warriors Legends|
- "Link... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple." — Medli (The Wind Waker HD)
- "Medli is Valoo's attendant, and as such, puts incredible effort into everything she does. Even so, there are times when she seems to be spinning her wheels. Her greatest treasure is her harp that she carries on her back." — Medli Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 259(TWW)
- "I'm an attendant to the great sky spirit, Valoo. My name is Medli." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I may be just an apprentice attendant, but I can understand some of the great Valoo's language. I'm not exactly bursting with confidence, but..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, please? I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important! It's just that...I'm not that good at flying yet..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Well, I'd better continue practicing so that I can be useful around here, too! Performing music like this is an important duty of an attendant." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "See, Prince Komali's grandmother was the great Valoo's former attendant. She was an amazing woman. I was honored to have her as my teacher... She was kind and brave, and unsurpassed in her dealings with the great Valoo." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "This instrument is called one of fate's tools. Prince Komali's grandmother saw me carrying it one day and called out to me to stop. She'd seen my fate in the curves of the instrument, you see. She eventually became my teacher, and that's how I became the attendant you see before you today. So, now you understand why I need to hurry and improve my skills, so that I may help the aerie." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "You're Link, right? Oh, me? I'm an attendant to the great sky spirit, Valoo. My name is Medli. Well, to tell the truth... I'm not an attendant quite yet. I'm actually still studying to be one." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I'm not yet worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as her. If only I'd possessed some of her strength, I'm sure Prince Komali would have felt more secure." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I have something I wish for you to give to my son. A young girl named Medli is holding it for me. Would you find her and take it?" — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- "When you meet Prince Komali, please don't get offended by his manner. He has no bad intentions, I promise. By the way, ummmm... Listen, Link... I have a small favor I'd like to ask of you... Could you please come to the entrance of Dragon Roost Cavern later?... I'll explain everything then." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Hey, you actually came! I'm really sorry for bringing you to such a dangerous place. I had to! [...] Tell me, how was Prince Komali? Oh... That doesn't sound right... Not at all... I may be partially to blame for the bad turn that Prince Komali's taken... See, Prince Komali's grandmother was the great Valoo's former attendant. She was an amazing woman. I was honored to have her as my teacher... She was kind and brave, and unsurpassed in her dealings with the great Valoo. I'm not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as her. If only I'd possessed some of her strength, I'm sure Prince Komali would have felt more secure." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, I'm sorry to ask this... but I need your help! I want to go to the small shrine that's near the peak of Dragon Roost, but that ledge over there is so high... If I could get some wind under my wings, I'm sure I could get up there. So... Will you help me?" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, thank you! I think now I'll be able to climb Dragon Roost and meet with the great Valoo! Don't worry, I'll be fine! I may just be an apprentice attendant, but I can understand some of the great Valoo's language. I'm not exactly bursting with confidence, but... Look, if anything happens to me... Please look after Prince Komali!" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "This is all I have to give you. I know it's not much, but please take it! Oh, and please don't tell anyone that I'm climbing Dragon Roost! It'll be our secret, OK? Well, good luck!... To both of us." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Just now, some fellow told me that he saw some unfamiliar creatures near Dragon Roost Cavern... He said that they grabbed a girl that looked like Medli... ...Which is odd, because I know Medli can't fly well enough to get to the Dragon Roost Cavern entrance by herself." — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "Link! You came to rescue me! Oh, thank you! I have to tell you what I found out! This is terrible!... Some creature is doing awful things to the great Valoo's tail! That's why he's so angry! The great Valoo's tail hangs down into the room right below here. There's got to be something in there... I wonder if those mean monsters who captured me have something to do with it... We've got to do something! Now! Before it's too late! I'll go and tell everyone what's happening! Here, Link! Use this to get out of here! It's what I used to get this far. It's a device we Rito used before we evolved wings. Here, Link. Climb up on that little ledge over there, so I can show you something. Grab this branch with the Grappling Hook and you can swing over there to get out of this area! Don't you worry about me, Link. Get going!" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Use the wind god's...wind? That's what he said, but I don't understand. I wonder what it means? The wind god's wind... I wonder if what he's talking about has anything to do with the Wind Shrine that's through that tunnel... Oh, I almost forgot! The great Valoo also names you, Link, a true hero. I agree with him. As far as we're concerned, Link, you really ARE a hero!" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Well, I'm going to go and visit Valoo! I'll come and see you sometime with the best pair of wings ever!" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- "Hey! Prince Komali! Thanks so much, Link. See you again someday!" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Master Link, Medli is busy with her attendant studies." — Akoot (The Wind Waker)
- "The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, Link! You're OK! You know, Prince Komali's been asking me all about your adventures, Link. I can rest easy now that I've seen you safe and sound with my own eyes. Prince Komali's turned into a fine young adult, hasn't he? Recently, he's even begun doing things on his own, without my guidance.... Every conversation still ends up centered on you, though, Link. Watching Prince Komali grow up fills me with pride... but it makes me a little sad, as well... I wonder if this is how a mother feels... Oh, but just listen to me go on! How weird I must sound! Hee hee..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Hmm... What a mysterious song... It sounds so... familiar. It's almost as if something I've forgotten is trying to be remembered... Oh... I feel..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There's something...something that I must do. Link... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple. There's actually something that I can do to help this world. It's incredible..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, please... You must take me to the Earth Temple. We must hurry and wake the power to repel evil that sleeps within the Master Sword. Let's go now, quickly and quietly. Oh, Komali... I just want him to remember me as a simple attendant..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Medli, listen carefully to what I am about to tell you. The temple ahead is the nest of an evil creature... the same creature that stole the life of your predecessor, the sage. It is a dark and frightening place. That is why, if you do nothing else, then at least do this... If Link comes near you and presses R to call you, then be silent, and follow closely behind him. And if Link presses A, allow him to lift you, and if need be, fly and carry him through the air. And Link... If Medli gets stuck and cannot continue in the temple, use the Wind Waker to conduct the song you learned in the Tower of the Gods. Do you understand? Link, protect Medli. And Medli, protect Link. The power to repel evil shall surely be returned to the Master Sword!" — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, the power to repel evil is not yet fully awakened. To complete the awakening of the Master Sword, you must go to the Wind Temple for one more prayer. Now, Link... Step into the light behind you and return to the surface. Your next duty is to find the sage of the Wind Temple." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I will remain here and continue to pray. You must hurry!... And Link! Um... About Prince Komali... Please watch over him for me." — Medli (The Wind Waker)