Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Monk Maz Koshia
|Monk Maz Koshia|
The Divine Trial
Monk Maz Koshia is a Sheikah Monk who appears in the "EX The Champions' Ballad" Main Quest. Monk Maz Koshia's goal is to test those who wish to undergo the Divine Beast Tamer's Trial. He first speaks to Link inside the Shrine of Resurrection, where he bestows the One-Hit Obliterator to Link as the first part of his Trial. He informs Link that to complete this part of the Trial, he must travel to the four marked locations on the Great Plateau and defeat the bands of enemies there.
After Link has done this, Monk Maz Koshia will congratulate Link on his progress and reveal that this task was the first of many in the Trial. The Monk continues, saying that the One-Hit Obliterator will guide him to the next steps. This causes the One-Hit Obliterator to split into four glowing orbs, which scatter to various parts of Hyrule. Monk Maz Koshia urges Link to follow them in order to continue.
After Link completes "EX Champion Daruk's Song", "EX Champion Mipha's Song", "EX Champion Revali's Song", and "EX Champion Urbosa's Song", Monk Maz Koshia will call to Link once more, instructing him to return to the Shrine of Resurrection to face his final trial. Once Link returns to the Shrine of Resurrection, Monk Maz Koshia will greet Link and tell him to return the Sheikah Slate to the terminal he found it in to reveal the passageway to his final trial. Upon doing so, the resting chamber closes itself and begins to descend.
Once the chamber has fully descended, Monk Maz Koshia will welcome Link to the labyrinth which houses the Monk. The Monk guides Link to the labyrinth's Guidance Stone before leaving the hero to complete the labyrinth of his own accord.
Upon reaching Monk Maz Koshia, he once again greets Link, revealing the end of his final trial. Monk Maz Koshia stands up and teleports the two of them away to a platform in the sky, where they must do combat.
Once Link defeats Monk Maz Koshia, he will shrink to his normal size and commend Link for overcoming all obstacles he could conceive. Afterwards, Monk Maz Koshia will activate the flying structure that they are on, causing the Master Cycle Zero to rise from within. Monk Maz Koshia explains that the Master Cycle Zero is a masterpiece of innovation that was intended for the "one true hero". With his role served, Monk Maz Koshia wishes Link well before returning him to the Great Plateau.
Hyrule Compendium Entry
Monk Maz Koshia boasts a wide array of tactics that he may use in his fight against Link. Like a Yiga Footsoldier, Monk Maz Koshia can magically teleport and strike Link from above with his Sword, or he may use a Bow and shoot at Link from the air. Monk Maz Koshia can use Fire Arrows, Ice Arrows, and Shock Arrows to strike Link.
After Monk Maz Koshia's health has been reduced by 25%, he will retreat and split himself into nine copies. Each of these copies can damage Link, though only one of them can sustain more than one hit. In order to advance, Link must find the correct copy of Monk Maz Koshia and attack him. The copies will work in unison to attack Link, until they are destroyed. When all of the copies have been destroyed, Monk Maz Koshia may summon another set of them.
Once Monk Maz Koshia's health has been reduced to half, he will retreat again and magically enlarge himself while flying in the air. At this stage, Monk Maz Koshia can use charged laser attacks to strike Link. If Link deflects one of these lasers back at Monk Maz Koshia, the Monk will be temporarily stunned, allowing Link to attack. Monk Maz Koshia may also summon a series of eight metallic, spiky balls. Monk Maz Koshia will sequentially cast these balls at Link in an attempt to hurt him. Afterwards, Monk Maz Koshia will begin charging a Lightning storm, which will strike each of the metallic balls. Much like with Thunderblight Ganon's metal spikes, Link can use Magnesis to direct one of the metallic balls near Monk Maz Koshia, causing him to be struck by his own Lightning. Monk Maz Koshia can also magically tilt the battle stage before summoning the metallic balls, which will roll towards the bottom of the slope before falling off. Monk Maz Koshia can also stomp the ground to cause a tornado to chase Link around. If Link is hit by the tornado, he will be struck by a strong pulse from the ground.
At some point, Link can ground Monk Maz Koshia. If Link gets close to Monk Maz Koshia's feet, the Monk will stomp the ground, damaging the Hylian Champion. Monk Maz Koshia can also summon two miniature copies of himself, who will attack Link in a similar manner to the second phase of the fight.
Once during the battle, Link can distract Monk Maz Koshia with Mighty Bananas, leaving the Monk temporarily vulnerable to attack.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||導師ミィズ・キョシア (Dōshi Mizu Kyoshia)
大試練の (Dai Shiren no)
|Guru Mizu Kyoshia|
|Korean||도사 미즈・코시아 (Dosa Mizeu Kosia)||Guru Miz Koshia|
- "Before you could report your completion of the trial to Monk Maz Koshia, he rose before you and the final trial started." — EX The Champions' Ballad (Breath of the Wild)
- "I am Maz Koshia. I now address the one who wishes to master a Divine Beast..." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "To undertake this task requires unwavering dedication. That weapon defeats foes with one hit. However, the reverse is also true, as its wielder will also fall to a single strike. You can use this weapon's ability only twice within a set period of time...only when it is glowing. When enough time passes, the weapon will regain its sheen along with its power." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "At the four marked locations within the Great Plateau...defeat all monsters present to prove your power. If you are not up to the challenge, leave this plateau. The weapon will return here, and the trial will end." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "I am Maz Koshia. You have done well to conquer the trials laid before you. You are Hyrule's beacon of hope. But your trails have only just begun. The divine weapon shall lead you..." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "Now that you have proven your power, a new journey awaits. Go to the four locations that will be revealed to you, and reach for greater heights than ever before." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "I am Maz Koshia. I must commend you for conquering the trial thus far. The door to the final trial is now open at the Shrine of Resurrection. Go, and face your destiny." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "To the brave soul who wishes to master a Divine Beast... You have done well to return to this place of beginnings. You have overcome many challenges thus far. Now, allow me to bestow upon you one final trial. Return the Sheikah Slate to the terminal you first obtained it from. Do so, and the final passageway will reveal itself..." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "Descending... Please beware of tremors." — Terminal (Breath of the Wild)
- "Welcome, hero. You have overcome many trials to reach me. Now it is time to face the final trial. This trial is a complex labyrinth." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "To start, you will need a map. You may obtain map information from the Guidance Stone." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "You have proven to possess the power of a true hero. In the name of the Goddess Hylia... I offer this final trial!" — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "Let us begin." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "You faced that challenge with great courage. You have erased all doubt from my mind. You are a true hero." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "As such, you were destined to take hold of this ancient masterpiece..." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "That which you have obtained...is a masterpiece of innovation, created for the one true hero." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hero of Hyrule... May the Goddess smile upon you." — Monk Maz Koshia (Breath of the Wild)