The Mermaid is a character in Link's Awakening.[note 1]
The Mermaid inhabits Martha's Bay on Koholint Island. Schule Donavitch made a statue of her called "The Mourning Mermaid", which is placed near Martha's Bay, although it is not complete. She asks Link to retrieve her lost Necklace that was taken away by the waves. When Link returns her the Necklace, the Mermaid rewards him with one of her Scales. Link can place the Scale on "The Mourning Mermaid" statue to reveal a hidden passage where he can find the Magnifying Lens.
- In the Japanese, French, and German versions of the Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX, Link instead has to find her lost bikini top. This was most likely deemed too racy and was changed in the North American version. In Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, she loses her Necklace regardless of the region.
| Names in Other Regions
- ↑ The Mermaid was referred to as Martha in some official material prior to Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch. However, as this contradicts the name given in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, it is not considered Canon.
- ↑ Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 233
- ↑ "Mermaid" — N/A (Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch))
- ↑ The Complete Official Guide to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Piggyback), pg. 351
- ↑ "An artist once asked me to pose for him, and he wanted a scale, too... Can the legend of the Magnifying Lens be true...?" — Martha (Link's Awakening DX)
- ↑ "THE MOURNING MERMAID By SCHULE ? ...A scale is missing..." — Mermaid Statue (Link's Awakening DX)
- ↑ "Ya, I am Schule Donavitch! Zee mermaid statue by zee bay iz my masterpiece! ... To tell you zee truth, zis werk iz not complete! Zee art, it'z... difficult for you to grasp, iz it not?" — Schule Donavitch (Link's Awakening DX)
- ↑ "When I was swimming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — Martha (Link's Awakening DX)
- ↑ "Ahh! That's it! That's my necklace! Give it! Give it back! I will give you a scale as I said!" — Mermaid (Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch))
- ↑ "Simply put, she originally lost her top in the Japanese version, which is why she looks and acts so flustered. This is also why she's so quick to flee when Link tries to take a peek while diving." — Unused Parts, Artemis251's Link's Awakening Cache.