Songstress of Koholint Island (HW)
Dreamer Girl (HWL)
Dream Girl (HWDE)
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Marin is a young girl who lives in Mabe Village with her father Tarin on Koholint Island. She saves Link when she discovers him on the Toronbo Shores after he was shipwrecked. As she bears an uncanny resemblance to Princess Zelda, Link confuses Marin with her when he wakes up at her house. She is a musical woman who has many friends among humans, animals, and even among monsters.
After Link retrieves his Sword on the beach shore, Marin leaves her house and stands next to the weathercock singing the "Ballad of the Wind Fish." Later on, the path to the Yarna Desert is blocked off by a sleeping Walrus. Link learns from the animals in the Animal Village that the lazy Walrus is fond of Marin's singing. Link goes to Marin's house but finds a note left by her saying that she is at the beach. When Link finds her at the Toronbo Shores, the two of them sit down on a log and Marin confesses that her heart skipped a beat when she found him on the shore, believing that he had come to give the islanders a message. She goes on to say that if she were a seagull, she would fly away from the island and sing for many people, wondering if her dream will come true if she wishes to the Wind Fish. Shortly after, Marin declares that she wants to know everything about Link, but immediately laughs it off and agrees to go with Link to go see the Walrus.
Along the way, Marin and Link go through a series of misadventures, such as Marin falling on top of Link when they both go down a well and Marin picking up the Trendy Game shop owner with a grabbing claw. When Link hits a Cucco, she also tells him off, and calls him a "bad boy" when he throws and breaks a pot. If Link hits a Cucco too many times, Marin will change her attitude for a moment as if she is enjoying the moment. Once Marin wakes up the Walrus with her singing, she goes to the Animal Village and stay there to sing for the animals.
Near the end of the game, some monsters kidnap Marin while she is singing to the Wind Fish egg and place her on a rotting segment of the bridge crossing between the Tal Tal Heights. Calling for help, she admits to Link that she is afraid of heights. Link rescues her using the Hookshot and, for a brief moment, she begins to admit something to him, but as she is about to confess, her father Tarin calls and breaks the moment.
After obtaining the Ocarina, Link can speak to Marin to learn the "Ballad of the Wind Fish." If Link speaks to her again, she will thank him for all his help and tell he is the "kindest boy" she knows, revealing that she already made her wish to the Wind Fish but refuses to tell him what it was. Marin also asks that Link always remember her and the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" when the time comes for him to leave the island, for if he were to forget, she would never forgive him.
When the Wind Fish wakes up, the dream ends and everyone, including Marin, disappears. If Link manages to complete his quest without dying, Marin can be seen when the end credits are over. In the original game, a winged Marin can be seen flying across the screen. In Link's Awakening DX, Marin's image appears in the sky and then slowly fades, revealing a seagull.
- If Link plays the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" while in the presence of Marin, she will critique him, commenting that it is not very good, then immediately pretend she did not say anything.
- Even though the official artwork and her Super Smash Bros. Melee Trophy depicts her with a harp, she is never seen with one in-game.
- In an Ocarina of Time developer's interview posted on Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, script writer Toru Osawa said that Talon and Malon from Ocarina of Time are based on Tarin and Marin. It was intended that players who have played Link's Awakening would recognize the reference.
- In the character design notes for Aryll inside the Zelda Box's book, Eiji Aonuma said that Aryll (アリル, Ariru) was originally going to be named Mariru (マリル) to be similar to Marin (マリン) and Malon (マロン, Maron) from Ocarina of Time. As such, certain similarities between Aryll and Marin can be noted, such as their affinity for seagulls and the red hibiscus in Marin's hair that appears on a pattern on Aryll's dress.
- Marin will chastise Link for performing mischievous acts, but if he continues on, she will instead encourage him to continue doing so. This is referenced in Hyrule Warriors during her quotes after defeating 1,000 enemies.
Marin's name could come from the Latin word marinus, meaning "of the sea". Marin's name resembles the word "marine," which is her French name. Also, the prefix "mar-" means "sea" in Spanish, and "seagull" in Norse..
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||マリン (Marin)||Same as English.|
|FrenchCA||Marine||Altenative way to write "Marin"|
|FrenchEU||Marine||Altenative way to write "Marin"|
|German||Marin||Same as English.|
|Link's Awakening Pack Trailer|
- "Marin, Songstress of Koholint Island" — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Hoot! That girl sang her song in front of the Egg! Her 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening! Did she actually intend to wake the Wind Fish?! The next Sirens' Instrument is in the west. Play your melodies so the unliving stones might hear! Show your courage! The Wind Fish waits for you! Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "The maiden from Mabe village saved your life when she found you washed up on the beach." (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 28)
- "A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link's Awakening for Game Boy also appeared in this Zelda game. We're hoping that people who've played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder 'is this a reference to then?' we'll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview)
- "Marin" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 147)
- "Follow the lane south to reach the beach where I found you. Since you washed ashore, lots of nasty monsters have been in the area, so be careful, okay?" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Marin bears an uncanny resemblance to Princess Zelda. She is a very musical woman who loves singing and yearns for life off the island. She has many friends among humans, animals and even some among monsters." (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 28)
- "What a relief! I thought you'd never wake up! You were tossing and turning... What? Zelda? No, my name's Marin! You must still be feeling a little woozy. You are on Koholint Island!" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "You opened your eyes to find Princess Zelda standing over you - or was it?! Actually, it turned out to be a woman named Marin" (Link's Awakening DX manual, pg. 5)
- "Hi ho! Yeah, I know, that tub of goo is asleep right in the way to Yarna Desert! Once he's asleep he won't budge for a loooooonng time. But hey! Take Little Marin and wake him up with her song! That slob would wake up with a jump if he heard her sing, for sure! Heh heh heh!" — Chef Bear (Link's Awakening DX)
- "At the beach... Marin " — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I wonder where these coconut trees come from? ...Tarin says there is nothing beyond the sea, but I believe there must be something over there... When I discovered you, Link , my heart skipped a beat! I thought, this person has come to give us a message..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... If I was a sea gull, I would fly as far as I could! I would fly to far away places and sing for many people! ...If I wish to the Wind Fish, I wonder if my dream will come true... ... ..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I want to know everything about you...Err...Uhh, Ha ha ha ha!" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hunh? The walrus wants me to go to him? It doesn't matter, I will go with you to him..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Wow! Link , can I try this?! What do you say? Okay No Way" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "You're good! You're a pro, aren't you? ... ... ... ... Well, beat it! Pros aren't allowed in here!" — Trendy Game Shop Owner (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ahhh! Ahhh, you are a bad boy, Link !" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ha ha ha! Do it! Do it! Do it moooore! ... ... Hunh? No, it's nothing... I didn't mean it." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey! Link ! Some monsters put me up here! What should I do?! I'm afraid of heights!!" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Say... Link ..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Uhh... I don't know how to say this... but..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Thank you for everything! Link , you are the kindest boy I know. One day I made a wish to the Wind Fish... What was the wish? It was... No, it's secret!" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Link , some day you will leave this island... I just know it in my heart... ...Don't ever forget me... If you do, I'll never forgive you!" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Please, don't ever forget this song...or me..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Just announced! Marin from Link's Awakening will be available in the 2nd #HyruleWarriorsLegends DLC for #3DS + #WiiU" — Marin DLC Announcement, Twitter, published 26 March 2016, retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Not very good... Eh? What? Did I say something? No, you're hearing things..." — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- Aryll design notes
- "Go, go go! Fight, fight, fight!! We need to wipe them all out!" — Marin (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Woohoo! I'll blast all to smithereens!! I said what? You Must be hearing things..." — Marin (Hyrule Warriors)
- Given Name MARINUS, behindthename.com.
- Given Name MAR, behindthename.com.
- Given Name MAR, behindthename.com.