Mako's official artwork
When Link goes to Windfall Island to find out what the pirates are up to, he overhears Mako asking Gonzo the password to enter Tetra's Ship since he seems to have forgotten. Gonzo is forced to tell him the password again, which is how Link overhears it and is able to go inside the pirate ship and obtain Bombs from Niko.
Mako makes a final appearance in The Wind Waker during the game's ending sequence. After Link and Tetra resurface from the sunken Hyrule Castle, Mako, along with the rest of the pirate crew and a few other characters, greet the pair aboard their pirate ship. Gonzo is then seen steering the ship as Link, Tetra, and the gang of pirates set sail from Outset Island in search of new lands.
Like the rest of the pirates, Mako bears a striking resemblance to a man portrayed in a wall painting hanging in the sunken Hyrule Castle, which heavily hints that the man could be Mako's ancestor serving under the orders of a past Princess Zelda.
In Phantom Hourglass, Mako appears again during both the introduction and the ending sequences of the game, and his role is once again very limited. He is last seen when Tetra and Link reunite with the rest of the pirate crew after waking up on top of Ghost Ship.
|Mako (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Personality: At first glance, quiet|
Least Favorite Thing: Having his glasses touched by strangers.
Mako is called the brains of the ship and the king of invention. He may look like a weakling, but his glasses give him keen eyesight, and he's unstoppable when mad.
Not many know this, but he keeps a knife hidden in that thick book of his.
- The character corresponding to Mako on the wall painting in Hyrule Castle looks like Minister Potho from The Minish Cap.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Mako is called the brains of the ship and the king of invention. He may look like a weakling, but his glasses give him keen eyesight, and he's unstoppable when mad. Not many know this, but he keeps a knife hidden in that thick book of his." — Mako Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 258(TWW) & 283(PH)
- "Mako is pretty quiet... Mako immediately gets mad whenever I try to take his glasses...so I do that a lot. Hee hee!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "Say there, brother, what was today's password, again?" — Mako (The Wind Waker)
- "Ahoy!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 186)
- "... But what about you guys? Why didn't you come after me?!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 187)
- "W-what are you talking about, Cap'n? It's only been about ten minutes... since you went aboard the Ghost Ship!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 187)