Lady Riju is the Chief of the Gerudo. She is a young Gerudo child who inherited the throne after mother passed away. Riju was her mother's only child, causing the duties of leading the Gerudo to fall to her. The people of Gerudo Town are worried about being ruled by a child, making Riju question if she will ever be as great as her mother was. Riju also feels that the Thunder Helm was stolen because she is not ready to be Chief. After Link calms the Divine Beast Vah Naboris, Riju feels that the Hero helped her overcome her doubts about being able to lead. Riju hopes to one day compete with Link in a Sand Seal race. Riju can be found in the palace in Gerudo Town, sitting upon the throne beside the captain of the guard, Buliara.
Link meets Riju at the start of the "Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest when he first enters the Gerudo Town palace, disguised as a woman. When Link approaches Riju, she comments that he is yet another traveler and asks how he got in the palace. Riju also mentions that Link is carrying something interesting, referring to his Sheikah Slate. Buliara will then stop Link and demand him to explain his business there. Riju will quickly tell Buliara to hold on, noticing that Link is more than a common traveler and asks for his name. Link tells Riju his name and that he can calm the Divine Beast Vah Naboris, which has been recently threatening the people in Gerudo with its lightning. Riju questions if Link is powerful enough to subdue a Divine Beast. She soon notices the Sheikah Slate on Link's hip, pointing out that the Sheikah would not give something so valuable to just anybody. Buliara mentions that she does not recall hearing of a Hylian woman among the Champions before quickly realizing that Link is actually a man. Riju states that it is a great crime for a man to enter Gerudo Town, but Riju dismisses this with the Sheikah Slate being enough proof for her that Link is a Champion. She tells Link that they would never mistreat a friend of Lady Urbosa and that they are allies if he is here to help subdue Naboris.
Riju informs Link that they have yet to find a way to appease Naboris. She reasons that if Link truly is a Champion, then he may be able to enter Naboris and calm its anger. Buliara urges Riju not to trust a stranger with such an important task, suggesting that he prove himself worthy by recovering the stolen Thunder Helm. Riju agrees with this suggestion and proceeds to explain that the Thunder Helm is the only thing in Hyrule that can withstand the lightning from Naboris. Buliara tells Link that Captain Teake in the barracks nearby can tell him about the thieves who stole the Thunder Helm. Before he leaves for the barracks, Riju says that Link's arrival must be a sign that Lady Urbosa is looking out for them. If Link speaks to Riju again, she says that she cannot believe the Thunder Helm was stolen and that it is likely the most discouraging event in Gerudo Town's history. Riju believes that Urbosa and other ancestors are looking down on them with shame and wonders if her people can tell how powerless she is. Buliara intervenes, telling Riju not to take it personally and that the soldiers and herself are to blame, commenting that she should have been more vigilant. Riju then tells Buliara that she does not need to beat herself up about it.
Once Link returns to Riju from the Yiga Clan Hideout with the Thunder Helm, she will tell him to meet her at the Lookout Post south of town to prepare for the attack on Naboris. Before leaving, she mentions that the only way to get close to Naboris is by riding a Sand Seal. When Link arrives to the outpost, Riju will be there waiting for him, equipped with the Thunder Helm, and begins telling Link the plan to take down Naboris. She tells Link that Naboris draws energy from the ground, so they must damage its feet. She also instructs Link to stay close to her to avoid getting shocked by Naboris and gives him some Bomb Arrows. Before they begin, Riju holds her arms skyward and declares that she will calm Naboris. She then gathers power by asking her ancestors to aid her and specifically asks Lady Urbosa for her protection. Link and Riju then ride Sand Seals into the sandstorm toward Naboris. Link must ride his Sand Seal close to Riju so that Riju's Thunder Helm absorbs the lightning and leaves Link unharmed. With the help of Riju, Link manages to enter the Divine Beast. Later on, Riju tells Link that she heard Urbosa call her name while taking down the Divine Beast.
After completing the Divine Beast, Link visits Riju again in the palace. As thanks for Link's help, Riju offers Link priceless pieces of equipment that were once worn by Urbosa. Before Riju is done speaking, she mentions that it is right for Link to have them because he and Urbosa were once friends. The Thunder Helm also now rests on a small pedestal beside Riju. When Link interacts with the Thunder Helm, Riju will offer to lend it to Link. However, she then says that Link must earn it by gaining the trust of her people. Riju agrees to lend Link the Thunder Helm in exchange for resolving the Gerudo Town people's problems. This begins the Side Quest, "The Thunder Helm". Once Link finishes the Side Quest and returns to Riju, she tells Link that she has heard of his actions in delivering happiness to her people. Riju thanks Link, stating that he will always be a true friend of the Gerudo. As a reward, Riju keeps her promise and lends Link the Thunder Helm. Riju assures Link that he will be able to use the Thunder Helm to its fullest potential and unlock the power of Urbosa that lies within.
- Riju is still very young, despite the heavy responsibility of being chief foisted upon her shoulders. This is indicated by the stuffed animals in her room and the seal designs on her bed. Her young stature is also made indicated by the booster cushions on her throne, and when she wears the Thunder Helm it does not fit properly on her head often sliding forward.
- Riju can be seen doing a hop of excitement and asking her stuffed animals what they should play in her bedroom. When spoken to afterwards, she will try to take attention away from the stuffed animals and state they should be ignored. She will then state it's rude to wander into someone's room at such a late hour of the night.
- Riju greatly values Patricia, her Sand Seal, as the only gift from her late mother.
|Names in Other Regions|
マキ・ア・ルージュ (Maki A Rūju)
마키 아 루쥬 (Maki-ah Rujyu)
Gerudo Chief" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "You stand before Lady Riju, chief of the Gerudo! Declare your business, but come no closer!" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "... She respects her ancestor Urbosa and possesses some of her accessories..." (Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion (Dark Horse Books) pg. 137)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) (VG), IMDb.
- "Riju" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "-Diary of Makeela Riju-" — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "She said that my mother's death means I am now the chief of the Gerudo people." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Though young, Lady Riju was our old chief's only child, so naturally the duties of leading the Gerudo fell to her." — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "But if I look carefully, I can still see the worry in their eyes. It seems more common than when Mother was chief..." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Mother... Will I ever be as great a chief as you were?" — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Meanwhile, I can't help but feel that the theft happened because I am not yet ready to be chief..." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's funny... I used to spend a lot of my time worrying about my people or my ability to lead..." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Now I look forward to each and every day... I think this hero helped with that." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Maybe one day he and I can compete in a sand-seal race. I'd enjoy that..." — Chief's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Yet another traveler... How did you get in here?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "It seems you have something rather interesting there..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hold on, Buliara... This one appears to be more than a common traveler. There you—what is your name?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Divine Beast Vah Naboris, cloaked in a massive sandstorm, hurling lightning at any who dare approach." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You think you have what it takes to subdue something so powerful as a Divine Beast?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "What of the device on this one's hip? It appears to be a precious relic of the Sheikah." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can't imagine they would give something so valuable to a simple drifter—can you?" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "...I don't remember ever hearing of a Hylian vai among the Champions. Wait a moment... You're a voe!" — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "A voe within our walls is a great crime. But a voe who is a Champion..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, we'd never mistreat a friend of Lady Urbosa. And if you're here to help us with Naboris, then we are allies." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "We have to do something to stop it, but we have yet to find any way to appease the Divine Beast on our own." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you truly are a Champion, perhaps you will be able to enter Naboris and calm its anger" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Lady Riju! I don't see how you can trust a complete stranger with something as important as this task." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Perhaps if this person were first to prove his worth by recovering your stolen Thunder Helm..." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ah, yes... An interesting suggestion. You see, there is only one thing in all of Hyrule that can withstand the lightning from Naboris. The Thunder Helm, a family heirloom and relic of the Gerudo. But as Buliara says, it was stolen from us." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Our soldiers can tell you all you need to know about the thieves who stole Lady Riju's heirloom. Head through this arch. It will lead you to the barracks. Then, seek our Captain Teake, and ask for a full report." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "I take heart in having such a rare visitor as yourself. Lady Urbosa must be looking out for us." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can't believe my heirloom was stolen! This is probably the most discouraging event this town has ever seen..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I believe that Lady Urbosa and our other ancestors must be looking down on us with such shame right now." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I wonder if my people can tell just how powerless their young ruler truly is..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "My lady, do not take this crisis so personally! This failure rests entirely on myself and on the soldiers tasked with protecting the heirloom." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "If only I'd been more vigilant..." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "You needn't beat yourself up in my stead, Buliara..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'll head out now. Let's meet up at the lookout post south of town." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "There's only one way to get close to Naboris, and that's with the help of a sand seal." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Naboris draws energy from the ground to keep moving. If you damage the feet, I think you can stop it." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "You'll have to stay close if you don't want to be shocked." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Here are some Gerudo bomb arrows. There aren't many, so be sure to put them to good use." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "My name is Riju, descendant of the royal line and leader of the Gerudo people! With the power of the heirloom passed down in my family, I shall calm the Divine Beast Vah Naboris." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ancestors of the Gerudo! Answer my call! Aid me in this task! Oh, wow! I can feel their power coursing through me! Lady Urbosa... Please grant Link and me your protection..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "That strong, warm voice...It must have belonged to Urbosa..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I want to offer you these as thanks for your help. I trust you'll accept them. These pieces of equipment are priceless treasures of the Gerudo people. They were once worn by Lady Urbosa." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Since you and Lady Urbosa were friends, it's only right that you have them." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "And if you truly desire it, then perhaps I can lend it to you..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well then, let's see how serious you are. This helm is a cultural treasure. To earn it, you must gain the trust of our people." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I want you to address their concerns and bring a resolute peace to our town." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I have heard of your recent actions. You have returned smiles to the faces of my people..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "On behalf of all the Gerudo, I must offer you my heartfelt thanks. Sarqso. You are, from this moment on, a true friend of the Gerudo!" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "And if it can help a true friend in need, we will gladly lend you this sacred treasure." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I know that you, more than any other, will be able to use this Thunder Helm to its fullest potential... I believe you can unlock the power of Urbosa that lies within." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Wh-What?! The sand-seal stuffed animals? Don't worry about them! Just... Just ignore them, OK? Besides, town hero or no, you shouldn't just come wandering into someone's room at this time of night!" — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Patricia was a present from the former...from my mother. She turned out to be my first and last gift from her..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)