The Magic Rope as seen in The Crystal Trap
Letting Zelda escape the underground cave of Midoro Palace
Letting Zelda escape the quicksand in the Swamp
Locations and Uses
The Legend of Zelda TV Series
Magic Ropes appear in two episodes of The Legend of Zelda TV series. In "The White Knight", Link gets out a Rope from his pouch and ties it around an Octorok, but the monster begins to run away and drags Link with him. In "Stinging a Stinger", Zelda uses a Rope to tie it around a Gohma and thus immobilize it, allowing her, Link and Sleezenose to escape from the monster.
The Crystal Trap
After Zelda finds an escape route from the flying demons, she stumbles into the Magic Rope hanging on a wall, which leads up and out of the palace. Although at first she hesitates to use the Rope since it could be enchanted with Ganon's evil magic, she uses it to climb and reach up into a corridor. Zelda, having reached the ledge high above, must then decide whether she should take the Rope with her or not.
The Magic Rope is only used if Zelda chooses to go deeper into the Swamp. She eventually gets stuck in a quicksand, and the only way to get out of it is by using the magical item. Just as Zelda is about to throw it at a stump, the Rope comes alive and flies up into the air, tying itself around the trunk of a tree. Zelda pulls herself from the quicksand and begins to head out of the swamp, taking the magic Rope with her. If, however, Zelda didn't pick up the Rope from Midoro Palace, she will die in the quicksand.
- "On the other side, she finds herself at the bottom of a tall shaft. High, high above there's a faint glimmer of light. Hanging on the wall just at shoulder height is a thick rope that seems to lead up to the light. 'It would be just like Ganon to leave a frayed rope as a trap,' she thinks aloud. 'But there doesn't seem to be any other way out of here, so up I go!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 91)
- "'This rope wants to come along,' she says with a grim smile. 'But I still think there's something fishy about it. I wonder if I should just leave it here?'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 91)
- "'The rope!' Zelda cries as she remembers the rope she found in Midoro Palace. Quickly, she takes it from her belt and looks for a strong branch or stump to lasso." (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 21)
- "But even as she speaks, the rope comes alive in her hand! The end flies up into the air, twirls around the trunk of a tree, and then ties itself snurgly. 'A magic rope!' Zelda cries out. She pulls herself from the quicksand, carefully coils the rope, and hooks it on her belt." (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 91)
- "The quicksand bubbles noisily. Zelda groans in despair. 'I guess I'm really sunk now!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 82)