The Mad Batter is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He sleeps in altars found in underground caves, and Link may awaken him by sprinkling Magic Powder on the said altars. The bat creature is known for cursing Link to punish him for having been released, but he inadvertently helps Link out by providing upgrades as his curse.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, his altar is found in a hole next to the Dwarven Swordsmiths' Smithery. The hole can only be reached by pounding the stake blocking the way with the Magic Hammer and jumping into it. Once inside, Link can go north to an altar and sprinkle the Magic Powder. The Mad Batter will appear, who will both scold and thank Link for waking him. This confusing shift in his dialogue continues until he finally casts a spell on Link, halving his Magic Meter. In reality, this causes Link to consume half the magic power he normally would with pertaining items.
The Mad Batter shows up in three different locations throughout Link's Awakening: the Mysterious Woods, Martha's Bay, and Tal Tal Heights. The Mad Batter serves the same purpose wherever he is seen: to increase Link's inventory. His altars are always found underground and look like lamps. When Link tosses Magic Powder on them, the creature appears in a ball of light form before taking a bat-like form. Upset about being awakened from his sleep, the Mad Batter speaks in a purposely confusing way. The creature will triple Link's capacity for carrying Bombs and Arrows and double that of his Magic Powder, thinking he's troubling the hero by burdening him with more equipment. Link can choose whether to be "punished" or not, as the creature will ask "Are you ready?!" before he casts a spell. However, if Link declines, the Mad Batter will only change the option of what equipment he will increase.
Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch
In this version of Link's Awakening, the Mad Batter is called Li'l Devil in the game and appears more demonic; however, his role remains virtually the same. His color was changed from blue in Link's Awakening DX to a more muted brownish-purple color in the remake.
Ancient Stone Tablets
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||小悪魔 (Shōakuma)(LANS)||Little Devil|
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. pg. 57
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 228 (ALttP) & 233 (LA)
- "Hey! Blast you for waking me from my deep, dark sleep! ...I mean, thanks a lot, sir! But now I will get my revenge on you. Get ready for it! ...Err, is that OK with you, sir?" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- "Heh heh heh! I laugh at your misfortune! Now your magic power will drop by one-half! Congratulations! Now, do you best, even though I'm sure it won't be enough! Have a nice day! See you!" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America, Inc.
Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.) pg. 125
- "Hey, Kid! You woke me up from a fine nap!! ...Thanks a lot! But now, I'll get my revenge! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Okay, I'll let you carry more Bombs! He He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Fine, I'll let you have more arrows! Heh Heh! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I'll let you carry more Magic Powder! He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Heh Heh Heh! You deserve it! Now look at all that junk you have to carry! Hah! Take care! See you again!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening DX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. pg. 91