It is a small village located in the southwestern area of Koholint Island, and is the first location on the island that Link visits. It is here that Link was nursed back to health by Marin and his adventure on the island begins. After waking up in Marin's House and receiving his shield from Tarin, Link travels to Toronbo Shores where he finds his sword, and begins his adventure to awaken the Wind Fish. The village is relatively small and contains only four houses, one less than its sister city, Animal Village. Marin and Tarin's house is located in the middle of the village, just south of the Weathercock. On the western side of the village, next to the path that leads to the Mysterious Woods is Madam Meowmeow's house, and south of that, Ulrira and Grandma Ulrira's house. In the very north of the village, west of the Dream Shrine, is the Quadruplet Family's house.
Places of interest
The Library is located in the southwest corner of the village, and contains many books containing helpful information, as well as the Atlas Of Koholint Island. Just north of the Library is a Well that Link can enter to find a Piece of Heart. South of the Library is the way to the South of the Village region, and north of the Well is the entrance to the Mysterious Woods. North of Madam Meowmeow's house is the Fishing Hole, where Link can spend 10 Rupees to go fishing. Link can also obtain a Piece of Heart here. In the south of the village, east of Ulrira's house, is a Telephone Booth.
The village also contains two shops. In the northeast of the village, west of the entrance to Ukuku Prairie, is the Town Tool Shop. Here Link can buy helpful items while on his quest such as bombs, hearts and arrows, as well as major items such as the Deluxe Shovel and the Bow. In the southeast of the Village is the Trendy Game Shop, where Link can play the Trendy Game for 10 Rupees. Link can obtain many items here, most notably the Yoshi Doll, the first item in the trading sequence. In between the two shops is a large patch of grass that Link can cut down to find a Secret Seashell.
In the very center of the village is the Weathercock, where Link can learn the Ballad of the Wind Fish from Marin, once he has obtained the Ocarina. After learning the Frog's Song of Soul from Mamu, Link can revive the Flying Rooster in the hidden room beneath the Weathercock. Finally, in the very northeast of the village, east of the Quadruplet Family's House, is the Dream shrine. Link can only enter it once he has obtained the Power Bracelet, and inside he can obtain the Ocarina.
In Link's Awakening DX, five photos can be obtained in Mabe Village. The first can be obtained by walking up to the window outside of Ulrira's house. The photographer will then appear and take a picture of Ulrira talking on the phone. The second photo is obtained by walking up to BowWow after returning him to Madam Meowmeow. The photographer will appear and take a picture of BowWow and Link 'playing'. The third can be obtained by stealing an item from the Town Tool Shop. It will automatically be added to the photo album. The last two photos can only be obtained while Link is escorting Marin. For the first one, Link must jump into the Well above the Library. The photographer will appear and take a picture of Marin landing on Link. For the second one, Link and Marin must approach the Weathercock. Tarin will come along and a picture will be taken of the three of them.
The name Mabe is derived from the Japanese version's name for the village, メーベ (Mēbe), which may have actually been derived from Möwe, the German word for "seagull." This would be appropriate, given Marin's strong association with seagulls. The village is even called Mövendorf in the German version, and Village des Mouettes in the French version, which means "village of seagulls" in both languages.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||メーベのむら (Mēbe no Mura)||Mebe Village|
|FrenchCA||Village des Mouettes||Gull Village|
|FrenchEU||Village des Mouettes (LA | LANS)||Gull Village|
|German||Mövendorf (LA | LANS)||Gull Village|
|SpanishEU||Villa Mebe (LA)
Aldea Mabe (LANS)
Same as English.
|SpanishLA||Aldea Mabe (LA | LANS)||Same as English.|
- "Mabe Village" — N/A (Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch))
- "The maiden from Mabe village saved your life when she found you washed up on the beach." (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 28)
- "Well, Link , ya finally snapped out of it... Name's Tarin... Hope yer feelin' better... What? How did I know your name? You think it's weird eh? Well, I saw it on back of this shield!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey! Did ya know Animal Village and Mabe Village are sister cities? Yes, even though they aren't large enough to be called cities... Anyway, I heard from a very good source that they have a Dream Shrine in Mabe, and that it has something good inside... Is that true?" — Rabbit (Link's Awakening DX)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! Ulrira speaking! You know, there is a library in the village that might have some good information for you! Talk to you later! CLICK!'" — Grandpa Ulrira (Link's Awakening DX)
- "How about some fishing, little buddy? I'll only charge you 10 Rupees..." — Fisherman (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Oh! It's a big one! And it has a Piece of Heart, too! You get a 20 Rupee prize on top of that! Try again?" — N/A (Link's Awakening DX)
- "TRENDY GAME! One Play 10 Rs." — Trendy Game Shop Owner (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey! That's a nice Ocarina you have there! Will you accompany me as I sing?" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Wow! The Rooster has recovered! He seems very friendly!" — N/A (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I'll call this 'Link Discovers Ulrira's Secret!'" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hey, that looks great! I'll call it 'Link Plays With BowWow!' Now get closer to BowWow!" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hi! I'm the photographer! What a great photo moment! I'll call this 'Heads Up!'" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I use this to take pictures. Are you ready? Say 'mushroom!'" — Photographer (Link's Awakening DX)
- Wiktionary: Möwe
|Regions in Link's Awakening|
|Click on an area|