|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Link, woken in the night by a telepathic plea from Princess Zelda, finds his uncle about to leave the house with a sword and shield in hand. Seeing Link wake, he tells him not to leave the house, promising to return for morning. Ignoring his instructions, Link sneaks into the palace via the sewers in an attempt to rescue the Princess himself. Here, Link finds his uncle mortally wounded, unable to go on. Entrusting him with the task of saving the Princess, he gives Link his sword and shield and teaches him the Spin Attack before dying.
At the end of the game, after Ganon has been defeated and Link makes a wish on the Triforce, Link's Uncle is shown to be alive and well in the credits, where he seems to be practicing sword fighting with Link in front of their house.
Legacy as an Archetype
The character Rusl from Twilight Princess may have been inspired by Link's Uncle. They are both swordsmen who serve as Link's mentors and father figures, and are wounded during the game. Additionally, they both have their hair parted in the middle and have facial hair of a different color.
In official artwork, Tarin from Link's Awakening resembles Link's Uncle. Both are rotund, have big round noses, black hair (Link's Uncle's hair is purple in the game but black in artwork), and large mustaches.
- In the original SNES version, Link's Uncle begins to say, "Zelda is your..." then trails off and dies. This caused some fans to speculate that the full sentence would have read "Zelda is your sister", possibly in relation to the film Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (less popular sentence endings included "ally" and "only hope"). The original Japanese version of the game contains a different line – お、お前は、姫の… …。 (y- you are the Princess's... ...). In the Game Boy Advance version, Link's Uncle's last words were changed. However, the direct translation of the aforementioned line is spoken by Blind the Thief when it impersonates Link's Uncle in the Palace of the Four Sword.
- The official Japanese soundtrack CD of A Link to the Past contained a short radio drama. In it, a young Link was placed under the care of Zelda's nurse, Egorowa, and her husband Alphon - who he calls uncle. It is unclear if this meant to be a preview of a pre-Ocarina of Time version of the Imprisoning War or simply an alternate history.
- Link's Uncle is briefly seen in the Japanese commercial for A Link to the Past.
- A picture of a man resembling Link's Uncle can be seen on the wall of Link's house in A Link Between Worlds.[verification needed]
Link's Uncle standing next to Link after being revived by Link's Triforce wish
Link and his uncle beneath Hyrule Castle
- "Link's Uncle" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 228(ALttP))
- "Link, I'm going out for a while. I'll be back by morning. Don't leave the house." — Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past)
- "Unnh... Link, I didn't want you involved in this... I told you not to leave the house... Take my sword and shield and listen. You can focus power in the blade (hold the B Button). ...Then release it using the secret technique handed down by our people... Link, you can do it! Save the Princess..." — Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past)
- "Your parents were Knights of Hyrule... But they stumbled into the Dark World... You will never be able to enter the Dark World and find your parents! [...] They dwell now in the Dark World... After they disappeared, your uncle adopted you and shielded you from the intrigues of the Royal Family..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- "You have struck your final blow, puny fool! ...Hmnph! Thus shall all who challenge me, Agahnim, meet their doom!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
- "Take my sword and shield. The princess...you must save her! After you rescue Zelda...and the people in the Dark World...you may meet your parents..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
- "Of course! Besides, I promised Zelda! And...I have to bring Agahnim to justice for what he did to my uncle!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 13,14)
- "Link... Link... We are here with our brother...in the world of darkness...." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 6)
- "Link... You have done well, Link... In the Imprisoning War of years past, great armies risked all to seal Ganon in the Dark World. You, however, accomplished a much more lonely and difficult victory... It was not only by your own power, but also that of the many generations of knights and Wise Men who preceded you. Let the memories of their efforts humble you. Never forget!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. )
- "Unnh... Link, I didn't want you involved in this... I told you not to leave the house... Take my sword and shield and listen. You can focus power in the blade (hold the B Button). ...Then release it using the secret technique handed down by our people... Link, you can do it! Save the Princess... Zelda is your... ... ..." — Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past (SNES version))
- "Unnh... That voice... Link? Is it you? I thought I told you to wait at home... I suppose there's no escaping destiny... Here, take this sword and shield from me. I shall teach you one of the secret sword techniques used by the Knights of Hyrule... Hold the B Button to focus power in your blade. Release it to unleash the power. Link...you must rescue Princess Zelda. Our people are fated to do so. But do not fall victim... to fate... Link... I shall always remember... our time... together..." — Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past (GBA version))
- "Uhhnn... Link... I didn't want you involved in this... I told you not to leave home. You must rescue Princess Zelda... You are... the princess's... ... ... ..." — Blind the Thief II (A Link to the Past & Four Swords)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||リンクのおじさん (Rinku no Ojisan)||Link's Uncle|