A Light Arrow from the Bow of Light from Breath of the Wild
Bestows the power of light to the Bow
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Nomenclature
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
Location and Uses
The weapon empowers Arrows with sacred light that can easily pierce and destroy evil itself. Due to their immense power, they can usually eliminate enemies with just one hit, as seen in The Wind Waker. The Light Arrow, unlike the Fire and Ice Arrow, consumes double of Link's Magic Meter, with the exception of The Minish Cap and Twilight Princess, due to a lack of a Magic Meter.
It is commonly assumed that these Arrows are based on the Silver Arrow from preceding games, but they are fundamentally different in that they weaken Ganon's defenses and stun him so Link can freely strike him with the Master Sword. Behaving in the opposite manner, the Silver Arrows are used to damage Ganon directly and not simply stun him. With the exception of Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages where Ganon was not properly revived, the Silver Arrows are the only weapon shown to be capable of truly destroying Ganon in his beast form.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Princess Zelda entrusts Link with the Light Arrows in the Temple of Time after all of the Sages have been awakened. Although they do not do any more damage than regular Arrows to normal enemies, they are needed to defeat the King of Evil, Ganondorf, and are useful in stunning the final boss, Ganon. They are also required to dispel the magical barrier that blocks access to the upper levels of Ganon's Castle. An added bonus is the almost-guaranteed side effect that an enemy killed with the Light Arrow drops 50 Rupees.
In Majora's Mask, the Light Arrows are found in the first half of the Stone Tower Temple and are used to invert the temple in order to continue through the dungeon. Moreover, they are useful for defeating the temple's boss, Twinmold, and are also helpful during final boss, Majora's Mask.
Similarly to Ocarina of Time, if Link defeats an enemy with a Light Arrow, 50 Rupees are automatically rewarded. They are nearly identical to those from Ocarina of Time, but are more powerful against enemies, and are even able to damage fully armored Iron Knuckles.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Link obtains the Light Arrows in Ganon's Tower by completing the Illusionary Room puzzle and defeating Phantom Ganon seven times. They are used to destroy Phantom Ganon, Puppet Ganon, and Ganondorf. In the final battle against Ganondorf, Princess Zelda borrows Link's Bow and Light Arrows to fire them at the King of Evil and to stun him.
The Light Arrows are the ultimate weapon in the game, performing a one-hit kill on any enemy other than bosses, even if it is wearing armor, as is the case with Darknuts. However, like in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, they consume Magic Power and must be used with care.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, the Light Arrows are received in an optional sidequest. To obtain them, Link must fuse Kinstones with the Stranger, a man who lives in a house in western Hyrule Town. This will open a portal in South Hyrule Field that leads to the Tower of Winds, home of the Wind Tribe in the Cloud Tops. Here, Link must use the Gust Jar to suck in the ghost circling Gregal, who will thank the young hero with the Light Arrows for saving his life after Link accesses the Cloud Tops via the whirlwind atop Veil Falls. However, if Gregal is not saved by the time Cloud Tops is reached via Veil Falls, he will have passed away and the Light Arrows will be impossible to obtain. Holding the Arrow in the Bow will charge up the Light Arrow; if the Light Arrows are not charged, they will act as normal Arrows.
- See also: Zelda's Bow
In Twilight Princess, Link cannot actually obtain the Light Arrows; they are instead wielded by Princess Zelda. They are granted to her by the four Light Spirits, who have actually turned into the Light Arrows themselves, after she calls for their aid to banish evil. Along with the Light Arrows, Princess Zelda is also given a Bow with which to wield them. In the battle on horseback with Ganondorf, Princess Zelda will fire Light Arrows at him to slow him down, allowing Link to attack Ganondorf with the Master Sword.
In Spirit Tracks, the Light Arrows are obtained late in the game. After defeating Byrne with the help of Princess Zelda, and meeting Chancellor Cole and Malladus in the Altar of the Demon King at the top of the Tower of Spirits, Link is told that he must get a weapon from the Sand Temple in order to beat Malladus. After clearing the Sand Temple, Link claims the Bow of Light. After this, Link's Arrows become Light Arrows, as the Bow of Light replaces his normal Bow. During the final battle, Link must fire a Light Arrow at Zelda's body to free her from Malladus. Shortly after, Zelda fires Light Arrows at Malladus' weak point on his back while Link distract him.
Breath of the Wild
Link receives the Bow of Light from Princess Zelda during the fight with Dark Beast Ganon in Breath of the Wild. By scanning the Super Smash Bros. series Zelda amiibo, Link can also receive the Twilight Bow. Both Bows can shoot an unlimited amount of Light Arrows. They must be used to attack Ganon's glowing points in order to damage him.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||光の矢 (Hikari no Ya)||Light Arrow|
|FrenchCA||Flèche de lumière (OoT3D | MM3D)||Light arrow|
|FrenchEU||Flèche de Lumière||Light Arrow|
|Italian||Freccia di Luce (OoT3D | MM3D)
Freccia della luce (ST)
|Arrow of Light|
Arrow of the light
|SpanishEU||Flecha de Luz||Light Arrow|
|SpanishLA||Flecha de luz (OoT3D | MM3D)||Light arrow|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 130 (OoT | MM | TWW | TP)
- "And here is a weapon that can penetrate the Evil King's defenses... The power given to the chosen ones... The sacred Arrow of Light!!!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "And here is a weapon that can penetrate the Evil King's defenses... The power given to the chosen ones... The sacred Light Arrow!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "You got the Light Arrow! Set it to (C) and your arrows will be powered up! The light of justice will smite evil!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got the Light Arrow! Set it to (C) to power up your arrows. The light of justice shall target evil!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "You got the Light Arrow! When you take out your bow, use [R] to change arrowheads, then fire away. The sacred light of these arrows can pierce pure evil itself!" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "You got the Light Arrow! Now, you can fire arrows filled with sacred light!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!" — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)
- "The six Sages will open the sealed door and lure Ganondorf back into the Sacred Realm. I will then seal the door to the Sacred Realm from this world. Thus, Ganondorf the Evil King will vanish from Hyrule. Link... In order to do this, I need your courage again. Please protect me while I do my part. And here is a weapon that can penetrate the Evil King's defenses... The power given to the chosen ones... The sacred Light Arrow!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "If you shoot that which releases the sacred golden light into the blood-stained, red emblem outside the temple... it shall rearrange things, in which the earth is born in the heavens and the moon is born on the earth." — Garo Master (Majora's Mask)
- "Phantom Ganon, Habitat: Forsaken Fortress, Effective Weapons: Light Arrows, Master Sword" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "Puppet Ganon, Habitat: Ganon's Castle, Effective Weapon: Light Arrows, This is a gigantic marionette created by Ganon himself. It transforms into three different shapes, but all are vulnerable to rays of light." — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "Ganondorf, Base of Operations: Ganon's Castle, Effective Weapons: Light Arrows, Master Sword" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "I'll use this bow to cover you! Attack him as best you can!" — Princess Zelda (The Wind Waker)
- "Goodness! We rarely get visitors here. Tell me, how did you get here?" — Girl from the Wind Tribe (The Minish Cap)
- "Oh, it's Link! Thank you for your help earlier! I've got something else good for you, so here, please take it!" — Gregal (The Minish Cap)
- "Zelda's Bow / The weapon used by Zelda during the final battle with Ganondorf. Her arrows were created from the transformed Light Spirits." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 196)