- This article describes the "Letters" menu. For the actual items, see Letter.
Displaying and reading Letters
The Letters menu displays a list of all the Letters that the Postman has delivered to Link so far. Whenever they see fit, the player can select a Letter to read it. The menu uses icons of closed and open envelopes to distinguish which Letters have been read and which have not.[note 1]
The menu paginates all letters, as most are too long for the screen. The list of letters itself becomes long enough to require scrolling as well.
Actions on the menu typically trigger a sound effect of shuffling paper.
In Twilight Princess, the Postman himself explains the interface mechanisms for reading a letter. The menu indicates who the Letter is from. The letter itself may or may not be signed.
In the original version of the game, the layout of the menu consists of a single-pane for the list of Letters. The selected Letter appears as a modal. In Twilight Princess HD, the menu has a two-column layout. The navigable list of letters is shown on the left, and the Letter under the cursor appears on the right.[note 2]
In Spirit Tracks, the way to read Letters is explained in the text that appears when Link obtains one. The menu does not have a field indicating the sender, but in this game all Letters are signed anyway. The layout is the same as in Twilight Princess—a single pane with the selected Letter appearing as a modal. Some Letters enclose Maps or Pictures which appear on the top screen. The Rail Map can be opened on the Touch Screen while reading almost any Letter,[note 3] allowing the player to mark what they see on the top screen.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- TP Letters Icon.png
Letters submenu icon on the Inventory screen in Twilight Princess
- TPHD Letters Icon.png
Letters submenu icon on the Inventory screen in Twilight Princess HD
- TP Unread Letter Icon.png
Unread Letter icon in Twilight Princess
- TPHD Unread Letter Icon.png
Unread Letter icon in Twilight Princess HD
- TPHD Read Letter Icon.png
Read Letter icon in Twilight Princess HD
- TP Letter Reading.png
Reading a letter in Twilight Princess
- In the original Twilight Princess, there is only a closed-envelope icon. Previously read letters are distinguished by the absence of an icon.
- Naturally, the interface designs for the menu bear some resemblance to those of email applications in the real world.
- The first Letter, From the Postmaster, has no such option as it is simply a notice with no bearing on locations in the game. The same is true for the Battle Rank Notice.[verification needed] The Letter From Princess Zelda only displays an option for opening the Map of Hyrule Castle specifically, as Link has not yet obtained the Rail Map at that point.
- "Letters" — Inventory (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Letters" — Letters (Spirit Tracks)
- "To read a letter, press to open your Collection screen, then select the letter. You can do that to read any letters you receive. Do it whenever you see fit!" — Postman (Twilight Princess)
- "You got a letter from the postman! Go to the Collection screen to read it!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "I have a great favor that I must ask of you in person. Follow this secret path at the top of the castle. Tap the map icon to copy the location to your map." — From Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)