Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Letter in a Bottle
|Letter in a Bottle|
|Use(s)||Getting inside Lord Jabu-Jabu's Belly|
Obtaining Premium Milk
|Comparable Item(s)||Zelda's Letter|
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Ruto's Letter was written by Princess Ruto requesting help after she became swallowed by Lord Jabu-Jabu. The Letter, which was stuck inside an Empty Bottle, eventually made its way to Lake Hylia. During Link's adventure, he finds Ruto's Letter in Lake Hylia near the underwater entrance to Zora's Domain. Link can remove the Letter from inside the Bottle and read it, which states as follows:
I am waiting for you inside
Lord Jabu Jabu's belly.
PS: Don't tell my father!
|— Letter in a Bottle|
Upon handing over the letter to the King Zora, he will allow Link to access to Lord Jabu Jabu's abode in Zora's Fountain and asks him to look for Princess Ruto. As a bonus, the King grants the young hero the empty bottle that contained the letter.
When Link encounters Ruto inside Lord Jabu-Jabu, she claims that she never wrote the letter, indicating that the Letter might have been a forgery, potentially to lead Link to the Spiritual Stone.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the Letter in a Bottle can be found in the southeast portion of Lake Hylia. When Link obtains it, he learns that it is from someone trapped on Death Mountain, asking for someone to bring him Premium Milk from the Milk Bar in Kakariko Village. When Link speaks to the Milk Bar Owner, he explains that the letter is from the Bouldering Guy, and requests that the young hero bring the Premium Milk to him as soon as possible. The Letter in a Bottle disappears and is replaced by the Premium Milk after this. If Link speaks to the Bouldering Guy before he has the Premium Milk, he will explain to the young hero that he needs the Milk in order to regain his strength to leave Death Mountain.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Message dans un flacon (ALBW)|
|Italian||Lettera in bottiglia (ALBW)|
|Spanish||Mensaje en una botella (ALBW)|
- "Are you saying my father asked you to come here to save me? I'd never ask anyone to do such a thing! "Letter in a Bottle?" I have no idea what you're talking about! My father is worried about me? I don't care!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "The evidence seems clear. Of course, you'll go find Ruto. You can pass through here to the altar of Lord Jabu-Jabu." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'll keep this letter. You keep the bottle it was in. Take it respectfully!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "I was up on the mountain doing some bouldering...when I lost my grip. And fell. And sort of hurt myself. Eh, all in the day of a boulderer. Going climbing without equipment isn't for the faint of heart! Anyway, I'm stuck on the mountain way past the Tower of Hera, and I could really go for some premium milk! Yeah, that'd really get me up and going again. So if you're at the Milk Bar, pick some up for me!" — Letter in a Bottle (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I see... A message in a bottle. And from someone stranded up on the mountain? Could only be one guy. He's a tricky customer. Sorry to ask, but could you take this premium milk to him? I bet it would help him heal up in no time." — Milk Bar Owner (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ugh, how embarrassing... I was bouldering along just fine when I slipped and fell. I twisted my ankle. Now I'm stuck. Ha! No way! you really found my letter in a bottle? I threw that out to the lake! Yeah, always had a good arm. But wait. Didn't you read it? I'm desperate for some tasty premium milk up here. I gotta get some of that, or I'm never going to get off this hunk of rock." — Bouldering Guy (A Link Between Worlds)