- For other uses, see Letter (Disambiguation).
Communicate with Link or others
Letters are most often sent via Mail Delivery and delivered by the Postman. Link is occasionally tasked with mailing Letters to a Postbox. Sometimes he personally Delivers certain Letters. Letters to be mailed or hand-delivered go in the Inventory. In many games, various characters mail Letters to Link, sometimes enclosing items for him. In some games the Letters are kept on the Collection Screen (specifically the Letters submenu) and can be read any time. In other games the Letters are discarded after being read.
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Nomenclature
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
Location and Uses
The Legend of Zelda
|This heroic lad is an acquaintance of Impa. Please give him aid.|
- Main article: Goat's Letter
Ocarina of Time
At the beginning of the First Day, Kafei mails a letter to Anju. The Postman refuses to tell Anju which Postbox he collected it from. Later on in the Anju's Anguish Event, Link mails Anju's Letter to Kafei.
On the Night of the Second Day, the Postman mails a letter to himself.[clarification needed] Link can read the letter on the Night of the Final Day—he can find it on the bed in the Post Office. In the letter, the Postman asks himself to flee Clock Town.
Oracle of Ages
- Main article: Letter of Introduction
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Link obtains four Letters for Delivery. The first is Father's Letter to Komali. Afterward, Link can mail the Note to Mom for Baito. He can do the same for Maggie with Maggie's Letter. He also delivers the reply—Moblin's Letter—back to Maggie as her father will not allow Ilari to deliver it. All of these Letters are stored in the Delivery Bag in the Inventory.
Link himself receives Letters from other characters through the wiggling Postboxes of the Island Postal Service. The Letters always enclose an item, either Rupees, Charts, or Pieces of Heart. Once read, the Letter is discarded and Link obtains the item that came with it.
The Mail Center Minigame has Link sorting letters for the Island Postal Service. His pay depends on the number of letters he can sort within the time limit.
|From||Enclosed||Available After||Summary||Full Text|
|Kashiko||Piece of Heart||Din's Pearl[verification needed]
Mailing Note to Mom and night turns to day or vice-versa
|Thanks Link for looking after her son Baito.|
To my son's superior,
Thank you very much for looking after my
I politely request your continued kindness
|Hoskit's girlfriend||Piece of Heart||Din's Pearl
Leaving Dragon Roost Island after giving 20 Golden Feathers to Hoskit[verification needed]
|Thanks Link for the Golden Feathers.|
I'm something of a bird enthusiast, so I
I want you to be as happy as we are,
|Rito Chieftain||Piece of Heart||Farore's Pearl||Thanks Link for helping the Rito.|
If you are reading this letter, it can only
I am indebted to you. I am very sorry I
|Orca||Red Rupee||Windfall during Ganon's CurseReturning to||Tells Link to bring him some Knight's Crests.|
find some Knight's Crests!
find some Knight's Crests!
|Bombs||Advertises sale on new shop item, Bombs.|
Notice from Beedle's Shop Ship!
It's time for our semi-annual Big Chance
We're having an extra-special sale on
Don't miss this HUGE opportunity!!!
|Beedle||Complimentary ID||Beedle's Chart[verification needed]
Earning 30 points at Beedle's Shop Ship
|Notifies Link of his new Silver Membership status.|
Notice to Silver Membership Holders:
Thank you for your frequent patronage of
|Beedle||Fill-Up Coupon||Complimentary ID
Earning 60 points at Beedle's Shop Ship
|Notifies Link of his new Gold Membership status.|
To all Gold Membership Holders:
Thank you so very much for your continued
All Gold Membership holders receive a
When you find yourself running low on
|Beedle||Green Rupee||Wallet upgradeFirst||Advertises Rock Spire Shop Ship.|
I'm sorry to disturb you with this
BUT THIS IS YOUR BIG CHANCE!!!
BUT WE HAVE ONLY ONE OF EACH!
If you're interested, go to the Shop Ship
To those who took the time to read this
|Grandma||Red Rupee||Nayru's Pearl
Leaving Outset Island after healing Grandma
|Frets over Link's well-being.|
How are you doing, Link? Do
You may be closer than I suspect!
Are you hungry? Are you keeping warm?
|Tingle||IN-credible Chart||Helmaroc KingKilling the||Explains the purpose of the IN-credible Chart. Mentions how Tingle's Chart can be used to find the Great Fairies that increase the capacity of Link's Wallet.|
To the esteemed Mr. Fairy-Person,
Thank you very much for your purchase.
|Aryll||Red Rupee||Helmaroc KingKilling the||Writes from Tetra's Ship to report that she is well. Describes her thoughts about each member of Tetra's Pirate Crew.|
How have you been, Big Brother?
At first, I was really scared, but they're
I'm doing fine here, so don't you worry.
|Baito||Red Rupee||Earth Temple[verification needed]||Writes a letter of encouragement to Link after hearing tales of his adventures.|
Yo! How ya been, man? I gotta tell ya,
I've been trying real hard ever since then,
It sounds like you're doing some pretty
You can probably tell that I had no idea
And while I don't make much, I'm sending
I'm really sorry I had to send this C.O.D.,
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Sweetie gives Link a Letter for her boyfriend, meant to repair their relationship. If Link successfully brings the Letter to him in the Village of the Blue Maiden, he will be rewarded with Roc's Feather.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Hyrule Town has a Post Office and a Postman but Link himself neither receives nor sends letters in the mail—the Postbox on the roof of the Post Office purely decorative. He can, however, buy issues of the Swordsman Newsletter from Marcy at the Post Office.
Swiftblade occasionally receives letters from readers of the Swordsman Newsletter. A Forest Picori[which?] receives a letter from his friend living in the Royal Hyrule Library.[when?] Julietta is busy writing a letter,[when?] likely to her lover Romio.
- Main article: Renado's Letter
In Twilight Princess, the Postman delivers up to 16 Letters to Link. They are stored and viewed on the Letters screen. Link himself cannot mail anything—the game lacks Postboxes.
- Main article: Jolene's Letter
In Phantom Hourglass, when Link approaches a wiggling Mailbox, the Postman flies into view. He opens Link's Letters and reads them aloud, rather than give them to Link. He accidentally reads out Jolene's Letter to her sister Joanne, thinking it was addressed to Link. He then asks Link to Deliver it for him.
Link can receive up to 20 Letters, 3 of which are sent by the Battle Commission after achieving certain Battle Ranks. All but three Letters are delivered by the Postman. Princess Zelda secretly hand-delivers hers to Link during the Royal Engineer ceremony. Linebeck III gives Link Linebeck's Letter, which was written by the original Linebeck. Carben wrote Carben's Letter to himself as a reminder, but gives it to Ocean Floor, but gives it to Link to help him get down to the Ocean Floor. These three Letters all provide information about how to progress on the game.
Some Letters enclose useful Maps to important locations or hidden Treasure Chests. Ferrus encloses a Map or Picture that serves as a clue to his location, so that Link can come pick him up in the Spirit Train.
- Main article: Cawlin's Letter
Breath of the Wild
- Orca's Letter to Link is noticeably abrupt compared to the others. In the original version of The Wind Waker, the body of the Letter is aggressively large and Orca's named is signed very small. In The Wind Waker HD the font size is the same as other Letters.
|Names in Other Regions|
おばあさんへの手紙 (Obāsan e no Tegami)
Letter to Grandmother
|Dutch||Brief aan de oude vrouw|
|FrenchEU||Lettre à une petite vieille||Letter to a little old woman|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 129 (TLoZ | LA | OoT | FSA | ST)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 221
- "Last night, I wrote a letter to myself and deposited it in a post box... I just retrieved it. This afternoon, I shall deliver that letter! Hrr, hrr!" — Postman (Majora's Mask)
- "To Myself,
You have been doing a great job delivering the mail. I have a request for my hard-working self. All of the townsfolk have taken refuge. I want myself to flee, too. Even if it is not written on the schedule, I want myself to flee. Please...
From Me" — Letter (Majora's Mask 3D)
- "I have an idea. That old fool may not permit postmen on his premises... But surely he would allow YOU in the place, would he not? Could you deliver this letter to Maggie in my stead?" — Ilari (The Wind Waker)
- "Sniff...sniff... My...boyfriend and I had a fight. It's my fault for always being so stubborn. It can't end over something like this. Will I never see him again? Sniff...sniff... ... ... ... What's that? You... You're going back to your world? ... ... ... Then please help me! Take this letter to him! You took the letter! Savior of romance!" — Sweetie (Four Swords Adventures)
- "... ... ... What did you say? Is that a letter from my sweetie? Let me see it! Hmm...uh-huh... Oh...ah.... I'm so relieved. My sweetie's OK! But she was attacked by a giant tornado and a dark shadow that kidnapped her. Can she be rescued? Hey, you! Do something, please! Sweetie gave me this feather as a good-luck charm... You can have it if you help her!" — Boyfriend (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Issue 2 is out the door! We've got our first reader letter! Let's answer it now! "Hey, Swiftblade, what's your best feature?" That would be my eyebrows! I spend a lot of time grooming these suckers! See you in issue 3! Until next time, warriors!" — Swiftblade (The Minish Cap)
- "We've got more reader mail this week! "Hey, Swftblade! How many siblings do you have?" There are nine of us, not counting the ghost of Swiftblade the First. I'm the oldest, but again, that's if you don't count Swiftblade the First! See you in issue 4! Until next time, warriors!!!!" — Swordsman Newsletter (The Minish Cap)
- "We've got reader mail again! "Hey, Swiftblade, do you have a hobby?" Training! See you in issue 7! Until next time, warriors!!!!" — Swordsman Newsletter (The Minish Cap)
- "I received a letter from my friend who lives in the town library! I wish I could live in town, too..." — Forest Picori (The Minish Cap)
- "I'm writing a letter right now, so I don't have any time to play with you. Sorry." — Julietta (The Minish Cap)
- "This is a letter from Jolene! Ahem! Should be a good one..." — Postman (Phantom Hourglass)
- "To my baby sister, Joanne! Many years have passed since we've seen each other. Are you well? I'm sure that you've endured heartache at the hands of some awful man. Oh, don't worry about me. I'm fine. As you can tell, I'm just as feisty as ever. You're the only sister I have in this world. We really should catch up. But... I have to ask... Are you...um, you know... Do you still have that weird mermaid costume obsession? I think it's fine to dress up as a mermaid and have a little fun now and then. But don't wind up in some old fisherman's net, OK? Your sis, The She-Pirate, Jolene" — Letter (Phantom Hourglass)
- "...So it says. Er, seems like that wasn't for you after all, Link. Uh... Well, chalk it up to fate! Uh, do me a favor? Deliver that to Joanne, would ya?" — Postman (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I've got a letter for you, so I'll just jump right in and read it aloud. Oh, wait--that's the way we USED to do things. But no more! Apparently, some folks thought our reading their letters out loud was rude. So now our policy is to just hand-deliver the mail unopened." — Postman (Spirit Tracks)
- "You got a letter from the postman! Go to the Collection screen to read it!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Shh--take this. No! Don't say a word right now." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Here's the letter Gramps left behind, for your reference. Figure out the riddle, get your hands on the Regal Ring and make us rich! So, what do you think, squirt?" — Linebeck III (Spirit Tracks)
- "Oh, yes, now I remember. I knew I might need this information later... That's why I wrote it down for myself, just in case." — Carben (Spirit Tracks)
- "Dear Self,
I know you'll forget, so I'm leaving you instructions to get to the ocean floor.
-- Carben" — From Carben (Spirit Tracks)
- "I have a great favor that I must ask of you in person. Follow this secret path at the top of the castle. Tap the map icon to copy the location to your map." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Tell me, does this place look familiar to you? I'm over here trying to snap some shots of an awesome armor-plated version of that new train!
I'll be around here for a while, so come pay a visit if you get a chance. That would be sweet.
Ferrus" — Ferrus (Spirit Tracks)
- "If you wish to be a true swordsman...
find some Knight's Crests!
And return to me!
Orca" — Letter (The Wind Waker HD)
- The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 22
- The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 23
- The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 23
|Link's Awakening Trading Quest|
|Yoshi Doll 🠊 Ribbon 🠊 Dog Food 🠊 Bananas 🠊 Stick 🠊 Beehive 🠊 Pineapple 🠊 Hibiscus 🠊 Goat's Letter 🠊 Broom 🠊 Fishing Hook 🠊 Necklace 🠊 Scale 🠊 Magnifying Lens|