Laruto is the former Sage of Earth in The Wind Waker. She is a Zora, the only one of her race to appear in The Wind Waker. She was born in Zora's Domain, before Hyrule flooded. She was killed by Ganondorf after he managed to circumvent the seal of the Goddesses and reached the surface of the ocean. After her death, her spirit remained in the Earth Temple until she was replaced by her descendant Medli.
Laruto had served as the Sage of Earth, praying that the power to repel evil would remain within the Master Sword. After Ganondorf killed her, her spirit remained in the Earth Temple, waiting for a successor. When Link visits the temple, Laruto appears before him, requesting that he find the new sage. Laruto gives Link a couple of hints regarding how he can recognize the new sage and teaches him the Earth God's Lyric, the song that will awaken the new sage.
Link leaves the temple and finds the new sage: Medli. He plays the Earth God's Lyric for her, causing her to lose consciousness. In her "dream" she is visited by Laruto, and the two play the Earth God's Lyric together. When Medli wakes up, she asks Link to bring her to the Earth Temple.
Laruto's last appearance is when Link defeats Jalhalla. When Medli plays the Earth God's Lyric, Laruto appears next to her and plays along. She disappears again when the Master Sword has regained (part of) its power, finally freeing her from her obligations.
|Laruto (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Zora's Domain|
Long, long ago the Zora sage, Laruto, offered up her prayers in the Earth Temple so that the Master Sword would continue to house the power to repel evil.
- Laruto is one of the people Link cannot get a Pictograph of. To get her figurine, he must obtain her Legendary Pictograph from Lenzo.
The name Laruto could be a combination of the word lament, which is "a song of passionate sorrow or grief", and Ruto, another Zora sage. The name Laruto seems to be reference to the name Ruto, which belonged to the Zora princess in Ocarina of Time, who was also a sage.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Today I have prepared a pictograph of the Earth Sage." — Lenzo (The Wind Waker)
- "O great hero, chosen by the Master Sword! My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "Long, long ago the Zora sage, Laruto, offered up her prayers in the Earth Temple so that the Master Sword would continue to house the power to repel evil." — Laruto Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 259(TWW)
- "Laruto - Birthplace: Zora's Domain" — Nintendo Gallery (The Wind Waker)
- "Hundreds of years passed, and Ganondorf, who should have been sealed at the bottom of the ocean along with Hyrule, was resurrected once again. He gave an order to his minions to attack the Wind and Earth temples, killing the two sages whose prayers gave the Master Sword the ability to destroy evil." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 124)
- "After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away... but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument..." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There's something... something that I must do. Link... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple. There's actually something that I can do to help this world. It's incredible... I bet my teacher knew all about this... Link, please... You must take me to the Earth Temple." — Medli (The Wind Waker)