Lanayru Sand Sea
|Lanayru Sand Sea|
The Lanayru Sand Sea is a sea of sand that is featured in Skyward Sword. It is located in the Lanayru Desert. The Sandship, which belonged to Skipper and his robotic crew, once sailed the sea, and Link must board it as the fifth dungeon of the game to obtain Nayru's Flame.
The Lanayru Sand Sea used to be home to a great sea; however, due to a rapid climate change, the water completely dried up, leaving only behind the Sand Sea. Link must navigate the sea with Skipper's motorboat, which is equipped with a Timeshift Stone. As Link sails around the desert, the sand around him will change to water due to the stone's effect.
The ship Link sails is equipped with a cannon that can be used to fire upon Bokoblin Archers that appear on the small isles found in the past world. The Sand Sea is home to a number of locations, including Skipper's Retreat, where the Ancient Sea Chart is located. The Lanayru Shipyard, which holds a vast minecart track known as the Rickety Coaster run by a Goron named Gortram, and eventually becomes the minigame known as the Rickety Coaster. It is also home to the Pirate Stronghold, the base of the pirate who stole Skipper's Sandship.
The Sandship is the fifth dungeon in the game where the Bow and Nayru's Sacred Flame are obtained. The single Timeshift Stone that is found on the ship has to be activated many times by Link in order to navigate around the ship. The Boss of the Sandship is the "Abbysal Leviathan Tentalus", a large squid-like monster of the past that attacks and destroys the Sandship during a storm.
- The location of Lanayru Sand Sea on the map is very similar to the location of Gerudo Desert in Twilight Princess.
- There are 2 Silver Rupees atop the Skipper statue that serves as the entrance to the sand sea, and a Red Rupee in one of the columns.
- It is impossible for Link on his own to leave the area immediately surrounding the location he is currently at on the sand sea, or to enter the circle of water surrounding Skipper's boat, even with the help of a Stamina Potion to keep from sinking - after dashing past a certain point, the Sinksand will consume the hero instantly and he will be sent back to the last touched solid ground.
- "In the Lanayru Sand Sea area, the dungeon has fairy-tale qualities, so we decided to make the dungeon a ship that floats over the desert." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 52)
- "We have arrived at Lanayru Desert. The terrain in this area changed dramatically as climate forces rapidly turned it into a desert." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "A report, Master. This is Lanayru Sand Sea. This whole area was once a vast ocean. But the water has all evaporated, and now the area is a sea of sand. Signs indicate that this place functioned as a port, linking the land to the sea. This area operated on a new form of power. There is a 90% probability that the sacred flame is located ahead. I recommend exploring this sand sea." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Hmm... There's something weird about that map of yours...vrrm. If you're going to navigate these treacherous waters, then you need a proper sea chart, doo-weep!There is a sea chart in my shack at Skipper's Retreat, bzzzt. So first you need to get on this boat and set a course for Skipper's Retreat!" — Skipper (Skyward Sword)
- "We've arrived, vrrm! This is the island where we used to make our ships, bzzt. You'll find the Shipyard here, as well as the town where the workers lived, vweep! But the entrance is closed, vrrrm. Looks like you can't get in. Each location on the island is linked to the others via a mine cart track, vrrm!There's a mine-cart station over there, zrrt! You should head to the station first. I'll wait here, phoo-weep!" — Skipper (Skyward Sword)
- "This station here was used by folks heading into the old mines. People still ride the mine carts all over the place, though! I am probably supposed to tell you there is some “safety information" about using the carts posted on the wall over there. Cart riding can be, uh...dangerous at times, so I would suggest you give that stuff a quick read." — Gortram (Skyward Sword)
- "... It was the day of the storm, phoo-weep... My crew and I were navigating the seas as usual, vrrm... And then those brutes, bzzt... the pirates, suddenly attacked us, brrzt. They were after Nayru's Flame, zzpt. My crew was imprisoned...vrrrt... and I was thrown into the sea! I drifted on the current to this port, vrrrrm... But I couldn't find my ship, phweep... I'd bet my hat they've turned the ship invisible and are hiding out somewhere, vrrm! You can't see it." — Skipper (Skyward Sword)
- "So my ship wasn't here, zrrt? Then there is only one place left for us to look for clues, vrrm... Brrzrrt. This could be scary, but... we'll head to the stronghold of the pirates who stole my ship, phweep! The pirate captain is a mechanical maniac, zrrt! Worse, he has plenty of evil underlings too, vrrm! I never wanted to lay my optical receptors on him again, brrzrrt. But... If we want to take the ship back, then we have no choice, phoo-weep!" — Skipper (Skyward Sword)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ラネール砂海 (Ranēru Sakai)||Lanayru Sand Sea|
|FrenchCA||Mer de sable de Lanelle|
|Italian||Mare di sabbia di Ranel|
|SpanishLA||Mar de arena de Lanayru||Lanayru Sand Sea|
|Hyrule in Skyward Sword|
|Click on a location|