The Lanayru Province (pronounced /ləˈneɪ.ruː/ lə-NAY-roo) is a province of the Hyrule overworld in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The province is named after its original protector from the Era of the Goddess Hylia, the great Lightning Dragon known as Lanayru. It is later protected by the Light Spirit of the same name in the Era of Twilight.
At one point, the Lanayru Province had a flourishing and abundant climate, as well as a vast ocean. However, by the Sky Era, it had turned into an arid desert. By the Era of Twilight, the province once again became a lush state that is notably home to Lake Hylia, and houses the capital of Hyrule as well as its castle.
In Twilight Princess, the Lanayru Province is situated at the furthest northern part of Hyrule and takes up a large majority of the kingdom, housing the capital at the center. It is located to the north of the Faron Province, east of the Desert Province, southeast of the Peak Province and west of the Eldin Province.
The Lanayru Province is the third province visited during Link's journey. Like the Faron and Eldin Provinces before it, he finds the entire province covered in Twilight. The young hero travels to Hyrule Castle Town and then to Lake Hylia, where he finds the lake dry. There he unfreezes Zora's Domain and returns the water flow to Zora's River, thus refilling Lake Hylia. Having done so, Link then visits the Lanayru Spring to collect the sixteen Tears of Light in order to return light to the province. Later on in the game, after Link takes the dying Ralis to Kakariko Village and receives the Zora Armor from Rutela, he dives to the bottom of Lake Hylia and enters the Lakebed Temple, obtaining the third and last Fused Shadow upon the defeat of Morpheel.
- Northern section of Hyrule Field
- Lake Hylia
- Zora's Domain
In Skyward Sword, the Lanayru Province is located to the west of the Faron Province and southwest of the Eldin Province. In the Era of the Goddess Hylia and the Sky Era, the Lanayru Province is protected by a great Thunder Dragon, Lanayru, who was ordered to protect the province by the goddess Hylia. It is the home of an ancient race of advanced robots whose origins are unknown. Over the course of several hundred years, it was stripped bare of its natural greenery, beauty, resources, and even all good life due to a rapid change in the area's climate, transforming most of the province into a barren desert that would come to be known as the Lanayru Desert. In the present, its former protector Lanayru had disappeared from the deserted province and the Ancient Robots have long since died out, with their remains scattered everywhere. All of its once formerly functioning buildings have fallen into disuse, many filling with sand and monsters, and all use of technology and electricity has completely declined. The region has since become home to an array of hostile creatures that thrive in its harsh conditions. The only thing still active from its once prosperous era of advancement are the many Timeshift Stones scattered throughout the province, which allow one to see a limited section of the land in its former lush and green days. The western section of the province once lead into an ocean, but that too fell victim to severe climate change and became the Lanayru Sand Sea.
Link returns to the Lanayru Desert in order to complete Nayru's Silent Realm. He receives the Clawshots as a gift upon its completion, which grant him access into the Lanayru Caves and, consequently, into the Lanayru Sand Sea. Here, Link alternates between the present and the past with Timeshift Stones in order to cross the barren sea and locate the Sandship, which houses Nayru's Flame. With Skipper's help, Link completes the mini-dungeon, the Pirate Stronghold, and finds clues as to the location of the Sandship. After defeating the temple's boss, Tentalus, Link proceeds with his adventure for the final Sacred Flame.
Link returns to the province a third time to obtain a segment of the "Song of the Hero". Link manages to gain access to the Lanayru Gorge, where the dragon Lanayru resides. However, all he finds are his skeletal remains. Link then transports a Timeshift Stone from a mining facility to the power pedestal that amplifies the stone's effect on time, thus reviving Lanayru. However, although revived, Lanayru suffers from an illness and cannot teach him his part. Link heals him by relocating the Life Tree Seedling to the Sealed Temple in the past, and obtains the Life Tree Fruit in the present. After recovering, Lanayru teaches Link his part of the song, and promises Link that he will repay him for saving his life. Should Link return, Lanayru will allow him to participate in his Lighting Round mini-game, where Link will be able to re-battle past opponents for the chance to win the Hylian Shield.
- Lanayru Mine
- Lanayru Desert
- Lanayru Gorge
- Lanayru Sand Sea
The province incorporates the name of the goddess Nayru.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ラネール地方 (TP)||Lanayru Province|
|FrenchCA||Terres de Lanelle (SS)||Land of Lanelle|
|FrenchEU||Région de Lanelle|
|Italian||Terre di Ranel (SS)||Land of Ranel|
|SpanishLA||Región de Lanayru (SS)||Region of Lanayru|
- "See that mountain? That's Mt. Lanayru." — Princess Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Surface is divided into three regions. Each region is named after one of the dragons, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, who protect the Sacred Flames." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 74)
- "The provinces known as Lanayru, Faron, Eldin, and Ordona bear the same names as they did in the Era of the Goddess Hylia. They are protected by the Light Spirits who share their names." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 116)
- "A report, Master. This is Lanayru Sand Sea. This whole area was once a vast ocean. But the water has all evaporated, and now the area is a sea of sand. Signs indicate that this place functioned as a port, linking the land to the sea. This area operated on a new form of power. There is a 90% probability that the sacred flame is located ahead. I recommend exploring this sand sea." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "A report, Master Link. We have arrived at Lanayru Mine. This arid region was transformed into a desert over the course of several hundred years. My projections show that Zelda must have traveled through this area." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "That is Lanayru, the Thunder Dragon. As the great protector of Lanayru Province, he has power over thunder." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "We have arrived at Lanayru Desert. The terrain in this area changed dramatically as climate forces rapidly turned it into a desert." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Thunder Dragon's condition has been bad for a long time, and the soil here is not suitable for growing trees, zrrt. If only we had more time..." — Ancient Robot (Skyward Sword)
- "Link! I owe you my life! You have to let me repay you. Give me some time to prepare, and when you next return to visit me... I believe you will be mighty pleased!" — Lanayru (Skyward Sword)