|Attributes||Guardian of the Lanayru Province|
|Era||Era of Twilight|
Lanayru is one of the four Light Spirits in Twilight Princess. It protects the Lanayru Province and appears in the form of a serpent. Lanayru is named after the dragon of the same name from the Era of the Goddess Hylia.
As part of Zant's plan to take over Hyrule, the Shadow Beasts were ordered to steal the light of the Spirits. When Link succeeds in dispelling the Twilight from the Lanaryu Province and restores the Spirit's power, Lanayru explains how the Fused Shadows were formed by the power of a race of magic wielders, known as the Dark Interlopers, in an attempt to control the Sacred Realm. However, before they were successful, the Goddesses summoned the three light spirits to intervene. The light spirits sealed away their magic into the Fused Shadows, and the Dark Interlopers were chased across Hyrule into the Gerudo Desert, where they were then banished to the Twilight Realm by the Goddesses.
When Zant attacks Midna and Link at Lanayru's spring after they find the last Fused Shadow, Lanayru appears and attempts to attack Zant, but is knocked back. Zant then magically forces Lanayru to shine its light on Midna, gravely injuring her. Along with the other Light Spirits, Lanayru heals Midna at the end of the game.
Lanayru's name is a reference to the golden goddess, Nayru.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "The Spirit Lanayru awakens from a slumber, after Midna leaves to find her Fused Shadow piece. It tells you the dark power you seek awaits in the bed of Lake Hylia." (Twilight Princess Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 179)
- "Lanayru" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 289)
- "The embodiment of the land of Lanayru, this magical spirit takes the form of a snake and resides in the spring near Lake Hylia." (Twilight Princess Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 14)
- "Hyrule Castle, located in Lanayru Province, sits at the heart of the world. The provinces known as Lanayru, Faron, Eldin, and Ordona bear the same names as they did in the Era of the Goddess Hylia. They are protected by the Light Spirits who share their names." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 116)
- "The Surface is divided into three regions. Each region is named after one of the dragons, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, who protect the Sacred Flames." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 74)
- "Those people who make a living off of those coming to worship at the lake must be struggling..." — Hylian Woman (Twilight Princess)
- "My brethren in Hyrule have already had their light stolen by these fell beasts." — Ordona (Twilight Princess)
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. [...] You know this magic... It is the dark power you seek...the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "...Do you remember what the spirit said about the Fused Shadows? What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)