Artwork of Koroks from The Wind Waker
|Habitat(s)||Forest Haven (TWW) |
Korok Forest (BotW)
|Special Characteristic(s)||Tree-like bodies|
The Koroks appear as little wooden people whose bodies resemble trees, and whose faces are concealed by leaf masks. The masks they wear take on various different shapes based on types of leaves, and have holes in them resembling eyes and a mouth, and occasionally a hole for their noses to fit through. Their bodies make a jingling sound whenever they move. Koroks are also able to fly through the use of propeller Deku Leaves that sprout from their bodies.
The Koroks in The Wind Waker are watched over by the Great Deku Tree in the Forest Haven. According to him, the Koroks originally took on human forms as Kokiri before changing their shape following the Great Flood. The Koroks are very shy, and do not normally appear to humans.
The Korok Ceremony is an important event for the Koroks and Great Deku Tree in The Wind Waker. Once a year, the Great Deku Tree sprouts Forest Tree seeds which are then taken by the Koroks to plant throughout the Great Sea, in the hopes that new forests will grow and more land will cover the Sea. It is the Great Deku Tree's hope that the islands will join as one land by planting these forests. The Ceremony can only commence once the Korok Makar has played his Violin for the Great Deku Tree.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, the Kokiri had transformed into the Koroks following the Great Flood. They continue to live with the Great Deku Tree, on an island called the Forest Haven. Once every year, the Koroks hold the annual Korok Ceremony so that the Great Deku Tree can produce seeds that can be planted throughout the Great Sea, with the hope and dream of uniting the islands into one vast land by growing forests. A Korok named Makar plays his violin so the Great Deku Tree can produce his seeds. It appears, however, that the Great Deku Tree's and Koroks' efforts have been unsuccessful over the years.
Link encounters the Koroks after saving the Great Deku Tree from a swarm of ChuChus. By his reassurance, the Koroks emerge from their hiding to meet Link. The Great Deku Tree welcomes Link to the Ceremony they are about to hold, but is interrupted when Linder arrives in a panic saying that Makar had fallen into the Forbidden Forest. The Great Deku asks Link to go into the Forest to rescue Makar, giving him a Deku Leaf so he may reach the place.
After Link finds and rescues Makar from Kalle Demos, they return to the Forest Haven where the Koroks commence the annual Korok Ceremony. The Great Deku Tree produces several seeds that eight of the Koroks take and leave to plant throughout the Great Sea. Makar and Hollo, a Korok Potion-maker, stay behind in the Forest Haven.
Link can find the other Koroks in several isles across the Great Sea, having planted their seeds in their respective islands. Each of them, however, are in despair that the sprouts they have planted are withering, and will not be able to grow into forests. They ask that Link bring back some Forest Water from the Forest Haven and sprinkle it onto the trees so they may be revived. If Link manages to water every sprout before the Forest Water loses its potency, the Forest Trees will grow healthy and the Great Deku Tree's dream will finally be realized.
Later during his quest, Link encounters the spirit of Fado, the deceased Kokiri Sage of Wind. Fado was killed by Ganondorf's forces, causing the Master Sword to lose its power. Fado requests that Link finds the one destined to become the next Sage of Wind, who carries the same violin as he. Link locates Makar and, after playing the "Wind God's Aria", awakens him as the new Sage of Wind. Together they travel to the Wind Temple where after Link defeats its evil, Makar prays so that the Master Sword regains some of its power.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Koroks can be found all over Hyrule hidden throughout the land. Link must solve a wide array of puzzles in order to make a Korok appear. The first time Link finds a Korok, it will be surprised that Link can see him. Their arrival is followed by the gift of a Korok Seed, which can then be traded to Hestu, a very large Korok first encountered on the path to Kakariko Village. Trading Korok Seeds expands Link's equipment slots, allowing him to carry more weapons, shields and bows. The price of expansion increases after every trade. After a few trades, Hestu will strike out for his home in Korok Forest. He can be encountered one final time at the Woodland Stable, where one can upgrade Link's Inventory again. After a few more trades, Hestu will once again go on his way back home.
In the center of the Lost Woods, the Great Deku Tree resides over the Korok Forest, the home of the Koroks. Many Koroks can be found here, though most will hide when Link gets close. A few, such as Chio, will converse with Link. After collecting all 900 Korok Seeds, Hestu will tell Link that all the Koroks have returned to the Korok Forest, though the Koroks can still be found in their original locations.
The Koroks in The Wind Waker are named after types of trees.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Well, then, Link... These are the Koroks -- the spirits of the forest. [...] Now they fear people...but to me, they will ever be my cherished little children." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Aonuma: We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Koroks as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood." (Zelda Box (Enterbrain), pg. 29)
- "We Koroks can fly through the sky using our own Deku Leaves." — Korok (The Wind Waker)
- "Koroks! Little children of the woods! This traveler is not your enemy. Let your hearts be at ease, and show yourselves!" — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Even after the Korok ceremony, Hollo remains in the Forest Haven researching potion-making." — Hollo Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "As it happens, you have come just in time for a ceremony that the Koroks hold but once every year. It is about to begin." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Every year after the Koroks perform this ceremony, they fly off to the distant islands on the sea and plant my seeds in the hopes that new forests will grow." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Forests hold great power: they can change one tiny island into a much larger island. Soon, a day will come when all the islands are one, connected by earth and grove. And the people who live on that great island will be able to join hands and, together, create a better world. Such is my dream." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Makar is in charge of the musical performance at the ceremony held each year by the Koroks in the Forest Haven." — Makar Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "N-No! It is not that, O Great Deku Tree! Makar...fell into the Forbidden Woods!" — Linder (The Wind Waker)
- "I've come here to plant the Great Deku Tree's seed... But look! Usually, the forest trees sprout quite vigorously wherever you plant them, but for some reason, this one has withered... ...I'd be willing to bet that the trees my fellow Koroks have planted are withering, as well. It seems that when one tree fails to grow from its seed, all the forest trees from that year's seeds wither and fail to grow tall and mighty." — Korok (The Wind Waker)
- "Maybe if we could sprinkle the water from the Forest Haven on the tree... Maybe then this sapling would be saved." — Korok (The Wind Waker)
- "You wish to return the power to your blade, don't you? In that case, look for the one who has the same instrument that I hold, and teach him the song you just played. Once you do, I'm certain the holder of the instrument will feel the blood of the sages awaken within his veins." — Fado (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, and my friends are hiding in lots of different places too! Don't be shy about poking your nose into suspicious places!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ya-ha-ha! You found me!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "Huh? You're not Hestu! But you can...see me? I didn't know your kind could see the children of the forest!" — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, if you run into Hestu, please return this to him." — Korok (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hey! Guess what! All of the forest children returned to the Korok Forest! You must have had an army of people searching for them, huh?" — Hestu (Breath of the Wild)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|