Komali's Grandmother is a Rito character mentioned in The Wind Waker. By the time the events of The Wind Waker occur, it is mentioned that she has recently passed away, and thus she's never seen in-game. She is the grandmother of Komali and the mother of the Rito Chieftain.
During her lifetime, Komali's grandmother was the attendant of the great Valoo, the protector of the Rito. She was known to be a kind, wise, and respected woman who had an overwhelming ability in her dealings with the Sky Spirit. Being Valoo's attendant, she was the only person in Dragon Roost Island who could fully understand Valoo's language; moreover, due to her being a close friend of the Rito deity, Valoo granted her Din's Pearl as a gift.
At one point, Komali's grandmother chose Medli to become her apprentice and successor as Valoo's attendant. Komali's grandmother saw the instrument that Medli was carrying and sensed what destiny had in store for the young girl, but kept quiet about it, instead using her position to teach Medli all that she had to know until the day fate would call her.
Unfortunately, due to unknown reasons, Komali's grandmother passed away not long before Link arrived on the island. This caused Medli to take over Komali's grandmother's position and become the new attendant to the great Valoo; however, she does not fully understand Valoo's language and is not too confident in her abilities as an attendant. After Valoo begins to go into a fit of rage due to Gohma, Prince Komali loses his confidence and is afraid to visit the Sky Spirit and ask for his wings. It is explained that his grandmother was always with him, supporting him and giving him the courage he needed, but now that she is gone, the only thing that gives Komali any strength is the Din's Pearl that his grandmother gave him before she passed away.
- "However, his grandmother passed recently, and Komali seems lost. His confidence is...gone. His grandmother was always with him, you see." — Rito (The Wind Waker)
- "See, Prince Komali's grandmother was the great Valoo's former attendant." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "She was an amazing woman. I was honored to have her as my teacher... She was kind and brave, and unsurpassed in her dealings with the great Valoo." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "My grandma used to be Valoo's attendant. She was the only person on the island who understood Valoo's language." — Komali (The Wind Waker)
- "That sparkling ball that the young master keeps with him was actually a gift from the great Valoo to Komali's grandmother." — Rito (The Wind Waker)
- "This instrument is called one of fate's tools. Prince Komali's grandmother saw me carrying it one day and called out to me to stop. She'd seen my fate in the curves of the instrument, you see. She eventually became my teacher, and that's how I became the attendant you see before you today. So, now you understand why I need to hurry and improve my skills, so that I may help the aerie." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I may be just an apprentice attendant, but I can understand some of the great Valoo's language. I'm not exactly bursting with confidence, but..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Let me be direct. My son, Komali, is of the age to earn his wings... Yet...he is weak, in some ways...and in light of the current situation, he may just give up on ever getting them..." — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- "It's so pretty, isn't it? It's called Din's Pearl. My grandma gave it to me." — Komali (The Wind Waker)