Features and Overview
Koholint Island is the illusory land on which the entirety of the events of Link's Awakening take place. This tropical Island exists solely in the Wind Fish's dream. This is reminded to Link throughout his quest. Since the arrival of Link, the Island has been overrun by monsters trying to prevent the Wind Fish from waking up in order to take over its dream world.
The Island consists of the Wind Fish's Egg set high up in Tal Tal Mountain Range surrounded by key locations such as the Mysterious Woods, Kanalet Castle and Toronbo Shores.[note 1] It is arranged in an array of 16 per 16 sections which can individually be consulted in the Atlas of Koholint Island. Scattered among those sections are Caves, Dungeons and populated areas such as Mabe and Animal Village.
Among the changes that Link's Awakening DX incorporates are the addition of the Color Dungeon which can be accessed by moving tombstones in the Graveyard in a specific pattern and the Camera Shop which can be found north of that very same Graveyard.
- In Breath of the Wild, Eventide Island is a reference to Koholint Island. It holds the similarly named Koholit Rock and Toronbo Beach.
- Although artworks and texts depict the Island as having the Wind Fish's Egg at its center, in the game, the Egg is to the complete north of the Island, up in Tal Tal Mountain Range.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 234 (LA)
- "Koholint Island Map" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors Legends)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 38
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 109
- "Okay, listen up! If the Wind Fish wakes up, everything on this island will be gone forever! And I do mean... EVERYTHING!" — Facade (Link's Awakening DX)
- "C-C-CRACKLE! Why did you come here? If it weren't for you, nothing would have to change! You cannot wake the Wind Fish! Remember, you... too...are in... ...the dream..." — Hot Head (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoooot! The Wind Fish sleeps long and dreamily in the Egg above... When you play the eight Siren Instruments in front of the Egg he will awaken. This, my friend, is the only way for you to leave the island! Hoo!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoot! How many Instruments have you gotten so far? When you play the Instruments in front of the Egg, the Wind Fish will wake and you will leave this island. Now, you must hasten to the Yarna Desert! The dark, monstrous inhabitants of the sand will show you the way! Hoot Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CASTAWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH! ... ... ... ... What? Illusion?" — Writing on the Wall (Link's Awakening DX)
- "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ... BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD... ... ... ... ... COME, Link ... LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!" — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Follow the lane south to reach the beach where I found you. Since you washed ashore, lots of nasty monsters have been in the area, so be careful, okay?" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Oh, yeah... Some other stuff like this washed up on the beach... If'n you go look watch out for monsters! Ever since you showed up, Link , I've seen 'em all over the place!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoot! The many monsters of this island fear that the Wind Fish is about to awaken! The monsters' power is real! They may conquer the island and destroy their foes! That day may come soon! Now, go to the mountain tower! Fly like a bird! Hoot! Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "We were born of nightmares... To take over this world, we made the Wind Fish sleep endlessly! If the Wind Fish doesn't wake up, this island will never disappear! We would have been the masters of this place... But you had to come here and disrupt our plans! Heh heh! You can never defeat us!!! Let's rumble!" — Shadow Nightmare (Link's Awakening DX)
- "To you who has traveled to this island... I present you with a challenge. In your travels, you've relied on the equipment you've found along the way. Here, you must cast this equipment aside and face this trial with only your wits and whatever you can scavenge." — Korgu Chideh (Breath of the Wild)