Features and Overview
Koholint Island is the illusory land on which the entirety of the events of Link's Awakening take place. This tropical Island exists solely in the Wind Fish's dream. This is reminded to Link throughout his quest. Since the arrival of Link, the Island has been overrun by monsters trying to prevent the Wind Fish from waking up in order to take over its dream world.
The Island consists of the Wind Fish's Egg set high up in Tal Tal Mountain Range surrounded by key locations such as the Mysterious Woods, Kanalet Castle and Toronbo Shores.[note 1] It is arranged in an array of 16 per 16 sections which can individually be consulted in the Atlas of Koholint Island. Scattered among those sections are Caves, Dungeons and populated areas such as Mabe and Animal Village.
Among the changes that Link's Awakening DX incorporates are the addition of the Color Dungeon which can be accessed by moving tombstones in the Graveyard in a specific pattern and the Camera Shop which can be found north of that very same Graveyard.
- In Breath of the Wild, Eventide Island is a reference to Koholint Island. It holds the similarly named Koholit Rock and Toronbo Beach.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Île Cocolint||Cocolint Island|
|FrenchEU||Île Cocolint||Cocolint Island|
Artwork of Koholint Island from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc.
Koholint Island Map, a Map for Adventure Mode from Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
- Although artworks and texts depict the Island as having the Wind Fish's Egg at its center, in the game, the Egg is to the complete north of the Island, up in Tal Tal Mountain Range.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 234 (LA)
- "Koholint Island Map" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors Legends)
- "Though the world was an illusion, Link's memories remain. It could be said that the memories themselves are the world of Koholint Island." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 38)
- "Not far from the kingdom of Hyrule, there lives a sky spirit known as the Wind Fish. Massive and powerful, the Wind Fish is said to control the wind—and within its dreams lie an entire world. This is where the subtropical Koholint Island resides, in the dream of a great whale in the sky. The island is a peaceful domain of song-loving people who know nothing of existence beyond its shores." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 38)
- "LINK'S AWAKENING / DX
The entirety of Link's Awakening plays out on Koholint Island, later revealed to exist only inside the dream of the Wind Fish. A relative paradise but still with its share of danger, the island has one Hylian village and another populated by animals and Zora. Outside these hubs, shops like the health spa, as well as phone booths, are scattered inland." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 109)
- "The World
The game takes place on Koholint Island, a world within the Wind Fish's dream. It takes the form of a tropical island, as lush as it is perilous. Each area has a specific name, and moving a cursor over the map screen displays the name of the region for that block. The field is large at 16 x 16 blocks, but the presence of warp holes and warping songs like Manbo's Mambo make later traversal easy." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 234)
- "Okay, listen up! If the Wind Fish wakes up, everything on this island will be gone forever! And I do mean... EVERYTHING!" — Facade (Link's Awakening DX)
- "C-C-CRACKLE! Why did you come here? If it weren't for you, nothing would have to change! You cannot wake the Wind Fish! Remember, you... too...are in... ...the dream..." — Hot Head (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoooot! The Wind Fish sleeps long and dreamily in the Egg above... When you play the eight Siren Instruments in front of the Egg he will awaken. This, my friend, is the only way for you to leave the island! Hoo!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoot! How many Instruments have you gotten so far? When you play the Instruments in front of the Egg, the Wind Fish will wake and you will leave this island. Now, you must hasten to the Yarna Desert! The dark, monstrous inhabitants of the sand will show you the way! Hoot Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CASTAWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH! ... ... ... ... What? Illusion?" — INVALID OR MISSING TERM (Link's Awakening DX)
- "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ... BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD... ... ... ... ... COME, Link ... LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!" — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Follow the lane south to reach the beach where I found you. Since you washed ashore, lots of nasty monsters have been in the area, so be careful, okay?" — Marin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Oh, yeah... Some other stuff like this washed up on the beach... If'n you go look watch out for monsters! Ever since you showed up, Link , I've seen 'em all over the place!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Hoot! The many monsters of this island fear that the Wind Fish is about to awaken! The monsters' power is real! They may conquer the island and destroy their foes! That day may come soon! Now, go to the mountain tower! Fly like a bird! Hoot! Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening DX)
- "We were born of nightmares... To take over this world, we made the Wind Fish sleep endlessly! If the Wind Fish doesn't wake up, this island will never disappear! We would have been the masters of this place... But you had to come here and disrupt our plans! Heh heh! You can never defeat us!!! Let's rumble!" — INVALID OR MISSING TERM (Link's Awakening DX)
- "During the events of Link's Awakening, the island has become the target of Nightmares attempting to overtake the dream world. The Wind Fish is unable to wake, its soul fading. It creates a version of itself inside its dream in the form of an owl, awaiting the arrival of a hero who will wake it. As it slumbers, the wind around it kicks up, creating a massive storm. Link, the very same hero from A Link to the Past, is caught in the storm and marooned on Koholint. The Wind Fish guides Link on a quest to awaken himself." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 38)
- "If the the Wind Fish is woken up, this world will vanish. To the parasitic Nightmares living off the dream, this means destruction. To avoid the destruction of the world, the Nightmares began creating monsters. So long as they do not relinquish the musical instruments of awakening, they can obstruct the hero. Ultimately, the hero wakes the Wind Fish and escapes the island. Koholint Island vanishes into the sea." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 28)
- "It is said that life on the island began with a giant egg. The island formed around it, and on the island, people and animals were born. Beyond being surrounded by water, Koholint's geography closely resembles that of Hyrule." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 38)
- "CONTENT ADDED FOR Link's Awakening DX
In Link's Awakening DX, a dungeon and new buildings were added. Under the right conditions, the photographer from the Camera Shop will appear with perfect timing to take commemorative pictures of Link and his friends. Link can view these photos whenever he wants by going to the shop. The Color Dungeon makes ample use of the new color palette, using red, blue, and green colors for puzzles. Clearing the dungeon rewards Link with a choice of Red Clothes or Blue Clothes, which improve his stats significantly." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 234)
- "To you who has traveled to this island... I present you with a challenge. In your travels, you've relied on the equipment you've found along the way. Here, you must cast this equipment aside and face this trial with only your wits and whatever you can scavenge." — Korgu Chideh (Breath of the Wild)