From left to right: Tingle, Ankle, Knuckle, and David Jr.
Era of Shadow
Era of the Great Sea
The Tingle Brothers, consisting of Tingle, Ankle, Knuckle, and David Jr., are recurring characters in The Legend of Zelda series. They play a minor role in Four Swords Adventures, where they transport the Links between minigames in the Tingle Tower.
|Tingle Siblings? (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||Tingle (in green) and his twin younger brothers Ankle (in purple) and Knuckle (in blue). They believe fusing Kinstones will help them meet fairies, so they are recording Kinstone data on their maps. David Jr. is not technically a relative.|
In The Wind Waker, Ankle, who considers his twin Knuckle to be lazy and good-for-nothing, was taught how to decipher maps by his older brother, Tingle. He resides at the top of Tingle Tower, helping David Jr. to spin it. He initially mistakes Link for Tingle, saying that he was very worried about him. The only time he feels he can truly be himself is when he's tending to the flower garden on Tingle Island. His favorite proverb is "One may as well hang for a stolen sheep as for a stolen lamb." Unlike Tingle, he wears pink and the mole on his face is above his mouth rather than below it. In addition, the rosy patches on his cheeks are completely filled in.
In The Minish Cap, Ankle appears on a ledge in Lon Lon Ranch, where he offers to fuse Kinstones with Link. When Link successfully fuses Kinstones with him, the northeasternmost tree in the group of four trees in North Hyrule Field will open with a chamber containing a room with a switch connected to a Torch and a Chest with a Kinstone Piece.
|Ankle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Unknown|
Favorite Proverb: "One may as well hang for a stolen sheep as for a stolen lamb."
Since being taught how to decipher maps by his older brother Tingle, Ankle has been supporting his good-for-nothing twin brother Knuckle.
The only time he feels he can truly be himself is when he's tending to the Tingle Island flower garden.
In The Wind Waker, Knuckle originally left Tingle Island because he got angry at Tingle for writing "For Tingle Only" on a sign next to Tingle Tower, which Knuckle built when he was ten years old. He can only be found by using the Tingle Tuner; Link can find him by going to Outset Island and stepping into the boats on the beach. Knuckle will appear on the Game Boy Advance screen and get into an argument with Tingle, which ends with him commanding Link to visit various places on the island. After Link completes this, Knuckle gets annoyed and gives Link the Hand-me Down Tingle Tuner before returning to Tingle Island. From then on, he stands guard rather than helping Ankle and David Jr. spin the top of the tower. Unlike Tingle, he wears blue and the mole on his face is on the right side rather than the left. In addition, the rosy patches on his cheeks aren't filled in.
In The Wind Waker HD, he appears on Tingle Island when all five of the Tingle Statues have been collected. Ankle gives Link Rupees for finding the statues instead, since Knuckle isn't present until they have been collected. Additionally, his figurine is required in order to complete the Nintendo Gallery, unlike in the original version of the game. A reference to this fact was added to the description of Knuckle's figurine.
In The Minish Cap, Knuckle appears in Trilby Highlands. Like the other brothers, he has some Kinstone Pieces to fuse with Link. When Link successfully fuses Kinstones with him, the southwesternmost tree in the group of four trees in North Hyrule Field will open with a chamber containing a room with a switch connected to a Torch and a Chest with a Kinstone Piece. After fusing Kinstones, he says that he doesn't understand why David Jr. dresses like him and his brothers.
|Knuckle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Unknown|
Knuckle is another of Tingle's younger brothers-he happens to be Ankle's twin. He finished carving Tingle Tower when he was ten years old. The head is his studio.
(The Wind Waker) Supposedly, he felt unsatisfied completing his collection without this figure. He loves his special vertically aligned Tingle Tuner.
(The Wind Waker HD) Supposedly, it used to bother him that this collection was considered complete, even without his figurine.
In The Wind Waker, David Jr. stays at the top of Tingle Tower, where he works with Ankle. Despite this, he is not actually related to the other brothers. According to him, he was originally a sailor who sailed the sea aimlessly, and ended up on Tingle Island after being shipwrecked by a storm one night. However, according to his figurine and the Prima Game Guide, he was in search of the Ghost Ship's treasure which his father (presumably David Sr.) had also found, and ended up at Tingle Island after feeling seasick. He awoke wearing his current uniform, which he hates, and was forced to work for Tingle. He looks very similar to Tingle, except he wears white, and he does not have rosy patches on his cheeks.
In The Minish Cap, David Jr. appears in Lake Hylia by the water south of Stockwell's vacation home. He is not enslaved and actually appeared to enjoy the company of his "brothers." When spoken to, David Jr. offers to fuse Kinstones with Link after recognizing him as "Mr. Fairy." When Link successfully fuses Kinstones with him, the southeasternmost tree in the group of four trees in North Hyrule Field will open with a chamber containing a room with a switch connected to a Torch and a Chest with 200 Mysterious Shells. David Jr. will also express surprise that they managed to fuse Kinstones, claiming to not expect it "to work." He also aids Link by informing him how many more Kinstone Fusions he has left to complete. If spoken to afterwards, David Jr. will acknowledge that he is not related to Tingle or his brothers, and questions why he helps them.
|David Jr. (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Windfall Island|
Occupation: Treasure hunter
Seventeen-year-old David Jr. set out at sea with dreams of finding the treasure of the Ghost Ship that his now-deceased father once saw.
He gets seasick quite easily and was in just such a state when he awoke in a daze on Tingle Island.
Ankle told him that "self comes before wealth" and he's been working in the tower ever since. He really hates the uniform.
- Four islands in Breath of the Wild (Tingel Island, Ankel Island, Knuckel Island, and Davdi Island) bear the names of the Tingle Brothers, though each island has the last 2 letters of the name transposed.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||アンクル (Ankuru)||ナックル (Nakkuru)||デイビッドjr. (Deibiddo jr.)|
- "Ankle" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 238 (TWWHD))
- "Knuckle" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 238 (TWWHD))
- "David Jr." (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 238 (TWWHD))
- "Ankle is Knuckle's twin brother, and both are Tingle's younger brothers. Ankle is more responsible and harder-working than his twin." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 23)
- "Big Brother! I was worried about you! Huh?!? You are not my brother! My brother said he was going to Windfall Island, but it has been so long...and still he does not come back!" — Ankle (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, Mr. Fairy. Hello. My brother Tingle is always telling us about you. He says he owes a lot to you fairies, and I know he'd want me to thank you. In fact, he gave me some Kinstone pieces that you might want to fuse! What do you say? Want to try it?" — Ankle (The Wind Waker)
- "You want to fuse Kinstones? I hope you've got one that fits!" — Ankle (The Minish Cap)
- "They fit perfectly. Why...I can see my brother's smiling face..." — Ankle (The Minish Cap)
- "Have you seen Knuckle? He's my twin brother, and he's dressed all in blue. I don't know where he is!" — Ankle (The Minish Cap)
- "How many Kinstones do you have left to fuse? Let's see... XX Kinstones? You've only just begun your quest for happiness, Mr. Fairy!" — Ankle (The Minish Cap)
- "Don't play dumb! Why'd you doodle on Tingle Tower? I built that thing!" — Knuckle (The Wind Waker)
- "What, that "For Tingle Only" sign I wrote? Sorry! Please forgive me!" — Tingle (The Wind Waker)
- "Hmmph! Well, I might consider it if the fairy will do as I ask...[...]Just don't open any doors before you finish doing what I tell you! You'll fail if you do!" — Knuckle (The Wind Waker)
- "Uggghhh...! Enough! Enough! I've lost the contest on this island! What can I do? Oh! I'll give you the Hand-Me-Down Tuner! Ugh. I'm going back home." — Knuckle (The Wind Waker)
- "That guy's younger brother down below... That blue guy... He doesn't help out at all! He just hangs out down there, standing guard and making sure no one writes any graffiti on Tingle Tower! That's all! No manual labor whatsoever!" — David Jr. (The Wind Waker)
- "Hey, Mr. Fairy! I've been holding on to this, just like my brother Tingle asked! And I have Kinstone pieces! Want to try and fuse with me?" — Knuckle (The Minish Cap)
- "Let's fuse Kinstones! I hope they fit..." — TMC
- "All of us brothers look alike, but the one in white isn't really our brother. What I can't figure out is why he tries to dress up like us, though..." — Knuckle (The Minish Cap)
- "This guy here and I are complete and utter strangers! I kid you not!" — David Jr. (The Wind Waker)
- "Once upon a time, I was a sailor. One night, as I was floating aimlessly across the sea as I usually did... That night... Yes, I remember it vividly. There was a fierce and terrible storm! I was swallowed up by a giant twister, and my boat was spun round and round! ...That is the last thing I remember." — David Jr. (The Wind Waker)
- "David Jr. embarked on a quest to recover the Ghost Ship's treasure, just as his father did before him. One bout of sea sickness led him in a daze to Tingle Island, and he's regretted it since." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 23)
- "When I awoke, I was dressed like this! And what do you think I was doing? But I guess telling this story to you won't do me any good... It sure won't get that crazy guy in green off my back!" — David Jr. (The Wind Waker)
- "Are you Mr. Fairy? Oh, yeah. Look at those clothes. You've got to be him! I received some Kinstone pieces from Tingle. He said I should try and fuse them with you, Mr. Fairy! So what do you think? Should we try to fuse?" — David Jr. (The Minish Cap)
- "Let's fuse Kinstones! I hope they fit..." — TMC
- "Wow. I didn't actually think that would work..." — Ankle (The Minish Cap)
- "So. Fused a lot of Kinstones already? Let's see here... Ooo, no... Man! You've got XX Kinstones left? Goodness, man! Get to it! Time's a-wastin'!!!" — David Jr. (The Minish Cap)
- "I'm not even related to that Tingle! So...why am I helping him so much?" — David Jr. (The Minish Cap)