We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Knights of Hyrule
|Knights of Hyrule|
The Blue Knight from Four Swords Adventures
|Game(s)||The Adventure of Link|
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Seasons
Four Swords Adventures
Breath of the Wild
|Establishment||Era of Prosperity|
|Leader(s)||Royal Family of Hyrule|
|Members||Link (Breath of the Wild)|
The Knights of Hyrule, also known as the Hylian Knights or Royal Guard, are referred in several Zelda games as the protectors of the Royal Family of Hyrule. They played a large role in A Link to the Past, in which they fought valiantly against Ganon in the backstory; and in Four Swords Adventures, in which they guarded the Royal Jewels but were cast into the Dark World and corrupted by Ganon.
The Knights of Hyrule are revealed to be a powerful clan that were descended from the legendary hero's spiritual successors who governed the crest of courage. The knights serve the purpose to protect the Royal Family of Hyrule, the Goddess Hylia's mortal descendants for generations. An incarnation of the legendary hero, Link, usually is born from the knightly bloodline and often has the objective to be Princess Zelda's personal guardian.
Their symbol is the Hylian Crest used to represent the Crimson Loftwing and the sacred relic of the Golden Goddesses: the Triforce, which are also featured on the Hylian Shield, said to be used by the knights.
With the history of Hyrule splitting and taking three different paths after the events of Ocarina of Time, the historical appearances of the Knights of Hyrule also splits, giving them three different destinies over the course of the three histories.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Non-canon Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 See Also
- 6 References
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, before the story of the Knights of Hyrule was told in A Link to the Past, two Hyrulean Knights appear to teach Link their sword techniques. One, found in Mido Town, teaches the Down Thrust and the other one, found in Darunia Town, teaches the Up Thrust.
A Link to the Past
The backstory of A Link to the Past tells of a conflict known as the Imprisoning War in which the Knights fought valiantly to protect the Sages while they cast their seal over the Sacred Realm. These Knights were almost wiped out in the war against Ganon, but their line continued until the last of the Knights' bloodline, Link, could fulfill the prophecy of the Great Cataclysm.
Ocarina of Time
While only the Soldiers make on-screen appearances in this title, the Knights are mentioned in dialogue. The Hylian Shield is mentioned as being the type of shield used by the Knights. Link finds a wounded soldier in a back alley who tells Link of how he tried to save Zelda from Ganondorf. The death of this soldier is seen by many fans as a nod to the heroic knights who defended the Sages during the backstory for A Link to the Past. It is never stated whether this soldier is a member of the Knights, however.
The Hero of Time might have been a Knight of Hyrule or was descended from the knights.
Oracle of Seasons
The Hylian Knights make an appearance in Oracle of Seasons, disguised as a Troupe of Performers. Under orders from Princess Zelda, they sneak Din out of Holodrum into Hyrule. However, they are quite easily taken out by the General Onox.
The Wind Waker
The Knights are only mentioned in passing in this game, but it is mentioned that even they could not attempt to lay siege to Ganon's Tower. A common spoils item found in the game is the Knight's Crest, which is said to signify a mastery of swordsmanship for its owner.
These crests are the "symbol of a courageous knight". It is possible that swordsmen like Orca collect these crests to honor the Knights' legacy or as a symbol of courage. Collecting 10 of these crests allows Link to learn the Hurricane Spin, a move that is known to have been used by the Knights.
Four Swords Adventures
Breath of the Wild
- The Knights of Hyrule in Four Swords Adventures share a similar physical appearance with the Hero's Spirit from Twilight Princess.
- In Twilight Princess, Ashei's father is said to be a knight in his own right. However, it is unclear if he was actually a Knight of Hyrule.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| ハイラル騎士団 (Hairaru Kishidan)
ナイトの一族 (Naito no Ichizoku) (ALttP)
| Hyrule Knight Corps.|
Clan of Knights
|FrenchEU||Chevaliers d'Hyrule||Knights of Hyrule|
|German||Ritter von Hyrule||Knights of Hyrule|
|Italian||Cavalieri di Hyrule||Knights of Hyrule|
|SpanishEU||Caballeros de Hyrule||Knights of Hyrule|
- "Yet the only thing people ever said... was that you were born into a family of the royal guard, and so no matter what you thought, you had to become a knight." — Princess Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "However, their lives were not lost in vain, for they brought precious time for the Seven Wise Men to magically seal Ganon in the Golden Land." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 5)
- "The Knights of Hyrule are a clan that protect the Royal Family, their members descended from the Hero who governed the Crest of Courage. Legend has it that the Hero will one day reappear within their ranks." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Comics), pg. 93)
- "The heroes of these chronicles all share the name Link. These Links might have been the same person, a series of familial descendants, or a numbers of heroes with different names entirely. The Links of certain eras may also have been named after the legendary hero." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Comics), pg. 68)
- "Only a person of the Knights Of Hyrule, who protected the royalty of Hylia, can become the Hero... You are of their blood-line, aren't you? Then you must rescue Zelda without fail." — A Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "You are perhaps the last one to carry on the blood-line of the Knights... It is ironic that the last one in the line has the potential to become the Hero of legend." — A Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "This is a big, heavy shield just like the ones Hylian Knights use. It can stand up to flame attacks!" — Bazaar owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "As the sages sealed the way to the Dark World, the Knights of Hyrule defended them from the attacks of evil monsters. I heard that the Knights of Hyrule were nearly wiped out in that battle..." — Thieves' Town Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "You are perhaps the last one to carry on the bloodline of those knights..." — Thieves' Town Maiden (A Link to the Past)
- "The Hero's triumph on Cataclysm's Eve wins three symbols of virtue. The Master Sword he retrieves, keeping the Knight's line true." — Master Sword pedestal (A Link to the Past)
- "Unnngh...are you the boy from the forest...? I-I-I've finally met you...I-I-I have something to t-t-tell you...Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves, betrayed our King...Zelda's nanny, Impa, sensed danger and escaped from the castle with our Princess...I tried to stop Ganondorf's men from chasing them...but...The Princess was...waiting for a boy from the forest...that's you...She wanted to give something to the boy...If you received it from the Princess, hurry...to the Temple of Time...." — Wounded Soldier (Ocarina of Time)
- "Looking back through the ages, it is possible that Link, the Hero of Time, was once a Hylian Knight himself. This may be the reason his mother became embroiled in the fires of war." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Comics), pg. 93)
- "That's just our guise. I can't say it too loud, but we're really Hylian Knights." — Male troupe (Oracle of Seasons)
- "When I returned to Hyrule, Zelda told me that in addition to Nayru, Din, the Oracle of Seasons, was also in danger. So, as she requested... We've posed as a traveling troupe so we can sneak Din into Hyrule." — Impa (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Long ago, Ganon's Tower was an impenetrable fortress that not even the daring and dauntless Knights of Hyrule could hope to assail." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "All who are skilled in the ways of the sword know the value of a crest such as this!" — Knight's Crest item description (The Wind Waker)
- "The Knight's Crest...It is the symbol of a courageous knight...But not just anyone can gather them...No! It takes a soul who possesses not only power, but wisdom and courage as well!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "On the island due east of here lives an old man who was once a master swordsman. He's got proof of it, too: he has a Knight's Crest." — Fishman (The Wind Waker)
- "I shall teach you one of the secret sword techniques used by the Knights of Hyrule...Hold the B Button to focus power in your blade. Release it to unleash the power." — Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past)
- "In Hyrule, four sacred jewels can open the path to the Realm of the Heavens. The safety of these jewels has for ages been entrusted to the Knights of Hyrule." — Green Maiden (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I am the Knight of Hyrule charged with guarding the blue royal jewel. To my shame, I fell under the sway of dark powers and was transformed into a base creature of magic." — Blue Knight (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Hear now the doom of the knights. We were bested by a foe with a mighty weapon. He cast us into the Dark World, where we and the jewels were lost in shadow." — Red Knight (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Your path seems to mirror your father's. You've dedicated yourself to becoming a knight, as well. Your commitment to the training necessary to fulfill your goal is really quite admirable. I see now why you would be the chosen one." — Princess Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "I thought the old fool I destroyed in the castle was the last one! Could it be the whelp is also of their bloodline? Find him! And leave no stone unturned in your search! Do not return to this castle until you witness his last breath! Is that understood?" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 3)
- "Your parents were Knights of Hyrule... But they stumbled into the Dark World... You will never be able to enter the Dark World and find your parents! [...] They dwell now in the Dark World... After they disappeared, your uncle adopted you and shielded you from the intrigues of the Royal Family..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- "Do you mean to tell me that the boy has the Pendant of Courage?! And you weaklings came back here without stopping him? ...I have tried to be merciful to the people of this kingdom, but those in the Knight's Line...they must be TERMINATED!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 2)
- "Roam is the descendant of one of the Knights of Hyrule who was a master archer." Chapter 8 of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past comic by Shotaro Ishinomori
- "Link was appointed as Master of the Knights of Hyrule by the newly-crowned Queen Zelda." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 13)
- "The Knights of Hyrule fought valiantly against the evil... Many giving their lives in the effort... Thanks to their bravery, the Seven Sages were able to create a seal to trap the darkness... And win peace for Hyrule." (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Viz Media), pg. 72)
- "I grew up in the mountains with my father, who was a knight in his own right. He taught me the arts of war as though I was his son. Of course, lessons in common courtesy were not part of the regimen, so forgive me if I come off as rude, yeah?" — Ashei (Twilight Princess)