We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule|
The Last King of Hyrule
King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule is a character in Breath of the Wild. He is the former King of Hyrule and the first person that Link encounters after awakening in the Shrine of Resurrection, under the guise of a simple Old Man.
King Rhoam was once the King of Hyrule, one century prior to Link's awakening in the Shrine of Resurrection. Following Link's resurrection, King Rhoam assumes the persona of an Old Man living alone atop the Great Plateau. When Link first meets the Old Man, he is seen camping in an alcove just east of the entrance of the Shrine of Resurrection. The Old Man follows Link throughout his journey through the Great Plateau, often deflecting Link's questions into what he is doing. He repeatedly exhibits a knowledge of the Sheikah Slate's capabilities as well as Sheikah culture and technology. He requests that Link bring him the Spirit Orbs from within the Ancient Shrines in exchange for his Paraglider, the means of escaping the Great Plateau.
When Link obtains all four Spirit Orbs on the Great Plateau, the Old Man will meet Link outside of the final Shrine. There, he promises to tell Link the truth about who he is, asking for Link to meet him at the spot where the four Shrines intersect before mysteriously fading away. The location at the intersection of the four Shrines is the Temple of Time, where Link can pray to the Goddess Statue to receive either a Heart Container or a Stamina Vessel. Upon doing so, the Old Man will speak to Link from the rooftop of the Temple of Time, urging him meet him there. Once Link enters the rooftop tower of the Temple of Time, the Old Man will congratulate him on his progress and announce that he will tell Link his true identity. Here, the Old Man reveals to Link that he was King Rhoam, the leader of the former Kingdom of Hyrule. As he does so, the Old Man begins to shine brightly and assume his true form as the Last King of Hyrule, King Rhoam.
King Rhoam informs Link that he chose not to bear his true form while Link's memories were still fragile. He also shares the story of how, by the Royal Family's own folly, they brought about the destruction of the Kingdom of Hyrule at the hands of the Calamity Ganon, as well as how Link came to awaken inside the Shrine of Resurrection. After hearing an ancient prophecy of a means to combat the Calamity Ganon lying underground, King Rhoam decided to heed the prophecy. Sending an excavation team comprised of members of the Sheikah clan, they carved out swaths of land looking for the prophesied means of defeating the Calamity Ganon. In doing so, they uncovered the Divine Beasts, gigantic machines intended to be piloted by warriors. They also uncovered a large number of Guardians, both types of machinery having been crafted by ancient Hyruleans and told of in legend. King Rhoam sought to fulfill these legends and sent his daughter and her personal knight, Princess Zelda and Link respectively, to the Sacred Ground Ruins. Alongside them, King Rhoam appointed four great warriors, known as Champions, from various tribes across Hyrule to pilot the Divine Beasts. However, as the Princess and Champions were preparing to seal Calamity Ganon, Ganon infested the Divine Beasts and the Guardians with Malice, bringing them under his control. In the ensuing battle to defend Hyrule from their own technology, Link was mortally wounded. The Champions and the denizens of Hyrule Castle lost their lives as well. King Rhoam's daughter, Princess Zelda, survived and directed members of the Sheikah tribe to place Link within the Shrine of Resurrection to revive him as she went to contain Calamity Ganon alone. The King's spirit remained to watch over Link in his hundred-year rest.
King Rhoam warns Link that Princess Zelda's power is draining and soon Calamity Ganon will escape her seal on him at Hyrule Castle and pleads for Link to save her and destroy Ganon. To achieve this, King Rhoam suggests that Link heads to Kakariko Village to meet with Impa, the elder of the Sheikah tribe. This grants Link the Main Quest "Seek Out Impa" as he magically marks the Sheikah Slate's Map and provides directions to get to Kakariko Village through the Dueling Peaks in West Necluda. He then grants Link the Paraglider, fulfilling his promise to allow Link to safely leave the Great Plateau. Having served his duty, King Rhoam tasks Link with the Main Quest "Destroy Ganon" as he bids farewell and fades away.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "King Rhoam
The Last King of Hyrule" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "After you acquired the Spirit Orbs from the shrines, the old man told you that he'll be waiting in the place centered amid the four shrines, before mysteriously disappearing..." — Seek Out Impa Description (Breath of the Wild)
- "I was King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule. I was...the last leader of Hyrule. A kingdom which no longer exists." — Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, well, well... So we meet again. [What are you doing?] Blast it all! My back is acting up again... I suppose that means this old man has had enough hunting for one day." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "With this, you have now acquired all of the Spirit Orbs from the shrines on this plateau. Oho ho! Extraordinary! That means...it is finally time. Link, it is finally time for me to tell you everything. But first... Imagine an X on your map, with the four shrines as the end points. Find the spot where those lines intersect. I shall wait for you there. Do you understand? Where two lines connecting the shrines would cross... There...I will...be waiting..." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "The blessing of the Goddess has made you that much more resilient, I see... Here I am... Get up here—quickly!" — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well done there, young one! Now, then... The time has come to show you who I truly am..." — Old Man (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Great Calamity was merciless... It devastated everything in its path, lo, a century ago. It was then that my life was taken away from me. And since that time, here I have remained in spirit form. I did not think it wise to overwhelm you while your memory was still fragile. So rather than that, I thought it best to assume a temporary form. Forgive me. I think you are now ready. Ready to hear what happened 100 years ago." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "To know Calamity Ganon's true form, one must know the story from an age long past. The demon king was born into this kingdom, but his transformation into Malice created the horror you see now. Stories of Ganon were passed from generation to generation in the form of legends and fairy tales. But there was also...a prophecy. "The signs of a resurrection of Calamity Ganon are clear. And the power to oppose it lies dormant beneath the ground."" — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "We decided to heed the prophecy and began excavating large areas of land. It wasn't long before we discovered several ancient relics made by the hands of our distant ancestors. These relics, the Divine Beasts, were giant machines piloted by warriors." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "We also found the Guardians, an army of mechanical soldiers who fought autonomously. This coincided with ancient legends, oft repeated throughout our land." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "We also learned of a princess with a sacred power and her appointed knight, chosen by the sword that seals the darkness. It was they who sealed Ganon away using the power of these ancient relics. One hundred years ago, there was a princess set to inherit a sacred power, and a skilled knight at her side." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "It was clear that we must follow our ancestors' path. We selected four skilled individuals from across Hyrule and tasked them with the duty of piloting the Divine Beasts. With the princess as their commander, we dubbed these pilots Champions—a name that would solidify their unique bond." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "The princess, her appointed knight, and the rest of the Champions were on the brink of sealing away Ganon... But nay... Ganon was cunning, and he responded with a plan beyond our imagining. He appeared from deep below Hyrule Castle, seized control of the Guardians and the Divine Beasts, and turned them against us." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "The champions lost their lives. Those residing in the castle as well. The appointed knight, gravely wounded, collapsed while defending the princess... And thus, the kingdom of Hyrule was devastated absolutely by Calamity Ganon. However... The princess survived...to face Ganon alone." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "That princess was my own daughter... My dear Zelda. And the courageous knight who protected her right up to the very end... That knight was none other than you, Link. You fought valiantly when your fate took an unfortunate turn. And then, you were taken to the Shrine of Resurrection. Here you now stand revitalized, 100 years later." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "The words of guidance you have been hearing since your awakening are from Princess Zelda herself. Even now, as she works to restrain Ganon from within Hyrule Castle, as she calls out for your help. However, my daughter's power will soon be exhausted. Once that happens, Ganon will freely regenerate himself and nothing will stop him from consuming our land." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "Considering that I could not save my own kingdom, I have no right to ask this of you, Link... But I am powerless here... You must save her...my daughter. And do whatever it takes to annihilate Ganon." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "Somehow, Ganon has maintained control over all four Divine Beasts, as well as those Guardians swarming around Hyrule Castle. I believe it would be quite reckless for you to head directly to the castle at this point. I suggest...that you make your way east, out to one of the villages in the wilderness." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "Follow the road out to Kakariko Village. There you will find the elder, Impa. She will tell you more about the path that lies ahead. Consult the map on your Sheikah Slate for the precise location of Kakariko Village. Make your way past the twin summits of the Dueling Peaks. From there, follow the road as it proceeds north..." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "Go on... Here is the paraglider, just as I promised." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "With that, you should be able to safely fly off the cliffs surrounding this area." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "And...I think that's it. I've told you everything I can... Link... You must save...Hyrule..." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)