Kina lives at the Pumpkin Landing, where she works as a waitress for her father, Pumm, at the Lumpy Pumpkin. Well-known and loved for her beautiful singing, Kina performs regularly at the bar's stage and has garnered fans because of it, although she had to stop due to a lack of a musical accompanist. In the afternoons, Kina picks the pumpkins that are in the patch behind the Lumpy Pumpkin; however, she finds this to be exhausting and would prefer someone to help her carry them to the storage shed.
When Link first talks to Kina, the waitress will remind Link not to shake the chandelier in order to get the Rupees and the Heart Piece sitting on top of the large chandelier in the establishment. However, Link ignores Kina's warning and manages to destroy the chandelier. As a result, Pumm forces Link to perform various tasks for the Lumpy Pumpkin in order to pay off the cost of the destroyed chandelier. The second of the three tasks involves helping Kina pick grown Pumpkins from the field and carry them over to a large shed found outside the Lumpy Pumpkin. In order to accomplish the task, Link is required to keep his balance and to not drop a single pumpkin. If done successfully, Link may help Kina again to receive 50 Rupees each time the task is completed.
After Link obtains the Goddess's Harp from Zelda in the Temple of Time, Pumm will request that Link accompanies Kina while she sings for the guests. In order to accomplish the task, Link has to strum his harp with the swaying of one of the customer's arms. After successfully accompanying Kina during her performance, Pumm will inform Link that he doesn't have to work for him anymore, and rewards the hero with a Heart Piece. Like the previous task, Link can come back at night and play the harp along with Kina again any time to receive Rupees depending on how well he performs.
Once the Fire Sanctuary has been completed, Kina remarks to Link that plowing the field is tiresome, and that she wishes that there were someone who was good at digging to help around in the field. The young hero can help her by bringing Guld, who is tired of his lifestyle, to Pumpkin Landing with the aid of Scrapper. After some skepticism, Guld learns to enjoy the job and happily shows off his skills to impress Kina, thinking that she has fallen for him. As a result, Kina's joy is transformed into five Gratitude Crystals, which Link receives as a reward.
Kina and her father's name are a pun on the word "pumpkin".
|Names in Other Regions|
Concept art of Kina from the Hyrule Historia
Kina's performance with Link
- "She is also in charge of their pumpkin patch. She finds the work exhausting and less than optimal." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Kina final version" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 36)
- "The owner's daughter, Kina, works there. She has the most lovely voice." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Kina's singing voice is beautiful! ...But her music partner quit recently, and so I haven't heard her sing in a while. I really wish I could hear her voice again. [...] I'm also...a fan of hers. But you don't need to tell anyone else about that, do you?" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "This should be an easy one for you. Kina spends her afternoons picking pumpkins in the patch out back." — Pumm (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh... and your next job has been decided! Looks like you'll be helping with the pumpkin harvest! What a relief! Do you have any idea how heavy those pumpkins are? Oh yeah? You think this is going to be a piece of pumpkin cake, do you? Heh heh... Let's make this interesting. How about you carry five pumpkins at once? You better take it slow, or you'll risk dropping them. Just get out there and haul those pumpkins!" — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "Well, well... Welcome! I can see from your handsome outfit there that you're a Skyloft knight! I hope you'll make yourself at home! Have the Rupees sitting on top of the chandelier caught your eye? Don't go thinking that you can get those down, you hear? You might think that you could knock the Rupees down by bumping something and making the chandelier shake, but... Don't even think about it! Are we clear?" — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "Don't even pretend that was an accident! I put signs up there to warn people to be careful of the chandelier and everything! Well I wash my hands of the whole thing! Don't be surprised if my dad gives you a royal chewing out!" — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "OK, then! I'll show you where you need to carry the pumpkins! See that storage shed up ahead? Carry the pumpkins there." — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "The trick to carrying several pumpkins at once is to walk slowly! If they start to lean right, move right. If they start to lean left, move left. Take your time, and keep your balance! But if you panic and start to rush, well, you're going to drop them. So... Good luck!" — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "I knew you would come through for me! Somehow you carried them all. You're the one I can trust to get the job done! Here's 50 Rupees for your hard work." — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "Ahh! You came! Let me see... What was it that I wanted you to do next...? Hey! What's that?! That's a strange-looking instrument you have there... Oh yes! You might just be surprised to hear that Kina is actually quite the singer! It wasn't that long ago that she would sing for our customers! But she had to stop because her partner quit. Think you'd be willing to do a quick duet with Kina?" — Pumm (Skyward Sword)
- "I think you've done enough work to make up for breaking my chandelier. You're off the hook, kid. I'd even say you did a good job! I thought you might give up part way through, but you stuck it out. I hope you'll come back and see us again, but as a customer next time!" — Pumm (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, that was fantastic! I'm giving you 50 Rupees for that performance!" — Pumm (Skyward Sword)
- "Thanks to you, we're ready to plant the new seeds! The only thing is, plowing the patch so that it's ready to be planted is hard work! If only there was someone who was really good at plowing the field..." — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "I gotta say, I'm tired of diggin' after my fortune in this blast furnace. I'm startin' to think it's time I gave up this life of treasure hunting and settle down to enjoy my twilight years. If I'm going to retire, I want to live in a place up high with a glorious view. I've lived most of my life underground, it's true, but I still gaze up at that sky. It's so...big and blue and fluffy. If I had my way, I'd like to come back in my next life as a bird and spend my time soaring the wild blue yonder." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Hah... Nothing better than a dirty day's work to make a guy feel alive! Especially when I see that girl. Makes all the tiredness just melt away! Say...have you seen the way she's been eyeing me? I think maybe that girl's fallen for me! Lemme tell you, it makes me want to work even harder tomorrow!" — Guld (Skyward Sword)