Karane is a senior student at the Knight Academy in Skyloft. She is a red-headed youth who sports a light green tunic and round, flat hat. She spends most of her time near the classroom in the day, and can be found in her room on the upper floor at night. She is somewhat conservative, but is very popular among her male peers.
Karane has a keen interest in Pipit and sometimes wonders how she can capture his attention. She will often ask Link for his opinion on Pipit. If Link tells her that he is nice, she will begin listing his good points, but if she is questioned, she will become flustered. When Link accomplishes something, such as obtain his tunic or learning the Spiral Charge, she compliments him, but then goes on to say that Pipit could do better.
Later, Link is asked by Cawlin to deliver a love letter he wrote to Karane. If Link delivers the letter to Karane, she will initially think it is from Pipit. She comments on the bad handwriting and discovers that Cawlin sent it. Although she appreciates the effort that went into the letter, she laughs at the thought of entering a relationship with the boy and wonders what Pipit would think of the situation. If Link talks to Pipit about this, he also becomes flustered and concerned for her.
When Link returns to Karane, she will be confronted by Cawlin. She politely compliments him on his letter and thanks him. He asks her if she would go out with him, and just as she is about to reply, Pipit runs in, shouting that she should go out with him instead. She hesitantly accepts his offer in an effort to prevent breaking Cawlin's heart. Despite this, Cawlin still runs away crying.
After that, Karane and Pipit will begin dating. Pipit thanks Link for helping him find true love and gives him five Gratitude Crystals. Karane will admire Pipit even more, and thanks Link for his role, but she still feels sorry for how things turned out for Cawlin. By sitting a bench seat in the front row of the classroom, Link can listen to Karane and Pipit discussing their relationship as well as how Karane wants to visit Pipit's mother, much to Pipit's dismay.
- If Link speaks to Karane after seeing Fi for the first time, she will react as if Link claims to have seen a ghost, much to Karane's disbelief.
- During the evenings, Karane will complain that she wants to take a bath, but someone is always in there.
- There is an inscription in the lower right hand corner of the chalkboard in the Knight Academy classroom that reads "Karane + Caw...". Although the source of the inscription is unknown, it was likely to have been written by Cawlin.
- In Karane's bedroom on her desk is a drawing of Pipit's face in one of her books next to a heart symbol on the same page. Nearby, there is also an envelope with a heart symbol on it, possibly an unsent love letter to Pipit she wrote.
Karane's name is derived from the crane bird.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
Concept art of Karane from Hyrule Historia
- "A senior at the academy, she is learning to be a knight like you, Master. I have observed that she is quite popular with the male students." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 294
- "What do you think you're doing sneaking into a girl's room at this time of the night?!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Sigh... Oh, Pipit... How can I get you to notice me?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, Link, what do you think about Pipit?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Yes! Yes, he is! He's kind and caring. And handsome and wonderful! Oh dear... I don't know what's come over me all of a sudden... Sorry for bothering you with such an awkward question..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh? Oh... Well, you know... I just... Oh, forget about it. I don't even know what I was thinking asking you a strange question like that. Silly me..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa, you can already Spiral Charge?! Wow...that's so cool, Link! I mean...whatever. I'm sure Pipit can do it, too!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "That outfit looks great on you! Not as good as it looks on Pipit,though!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh? A letter? For me...? Could it be from Pipit?!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Wow... This Cawlin guy... Isn't he one of Groose's flunkies? And...this... This is a love letter from that Cawlin kid...right?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "So, yeah... I have to say, he really put his heart into it and everything... I don't know... Maybe I should consider going out with Cawlin. ...Hah! As if! Sigh... I wonder what Pipit would think if he knew about this..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "...Oh! I mean, uhh... It's not like there's anything going on between me and Karane, you know? We're just friends... So it's not my business who she goes out with. I don't have much to say about it." — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "Tee hee. It was a wonderful love letter. Thank you!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Wait! I think you should go out with me instead! I mean...er...I want to ask you out!" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "Errr... I want to go out with... Pipit..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "My guy is going out on patrol again tonight. It's not even required of him--it's just something he feels he has to do... Just thinking about him makes my heart start pounding like I just ran up a flight of stairs!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Hee hee! Thank you, Link. Thanks to you, I have an amazing new boyfriend! But I feel kind of bad about Cawlin, you know?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "I guess I should hustle over and say hello to your mother too. I'm sure she's just like you, Pipit--trustworthy and dependable." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa! Uhhhh, that's moving a bit too fast, don't you think?" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "You saw a ghost?! Are you sure you weren't just in shock and maybe imagined it?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "I need to take a bath, so get out of here, Link! Well...I mean I WOULD take a bath if whoever is in there now would hurry up and get out. They've been in there a loooong time..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 25 (SS)