Kaepora Gaebora artwork
from Majora's Mask 3D
|Gender||Neuter (OoT, MM)|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Four Swords Adventures
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Shadow
Ocarina of Time
In ancient times, Rauru built the Temple of Time. Afterward, he remained within the Temple of Light, only leaving the Sacred Realm as Kaepora Gaebora, his owl form. According to a Gossip Stone, he is rumored to be the reincarnation of an ancient Sage.
After Link defeats Gohma and leaves the Kokiri Forest, Kaepora Gaebora is found for the first time in the edge of the woods in Hyrule Field. He then directs Link to Hyrule Castle. Afterwards, he constantly appears before Link in various areas. He can also transport Link to various locations, including a secret entrance to a house in Kakariko Village where a Piece of Heart is located.
In the world of Termina, Kaepora Gaebora makes two appearances. In the Southern Swamp beside the entrance to Woodfall, he teaches Link the "Song of Soaring", which allows Link to warp between the various Owl Statues. He says that the act of playing the song binds them as eternal friends.
He later reappears in the Goron Village of Snowhead, inquiring if his Owl Statues have been helpful, and hoping that Link has the courage to change Termina's doomed future. He guides Link to the Lens of Truth by dropping his feathers on each of the invisible platforms that form the path to the Lone Peak Shrine. Later, Darmani's ghost hints that Kaepora Gaebora had told him that Link would soon be coming. This implies that Kaepora Gaebora led Link to the Lens of Truth so he would be able to help the lingering spirit of Darmani.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Kaepora Gaebora first appears when he found the Links collapsed in Lake Hylia after Link draws the Four Sword, then reappears throughout Hyrule to give the Links advice on how to proceed.
- When Link meets Sheik outside the Spirit Temple, the sound of wings flapping can be heard as Sheik jumps down in front of him. Kaepora is then briefly seen flying away. Given that Kaepora Gaebora evidently flew Sheik to the Spirit Temple, it is possible that this is also true for the other times Sheik falls from the sky.
- The Majora's Mask 3D guide refers to Kaepora Gaebora as the Great Owl.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ケポラ・ゲボラ (Kepora Gebora)|
|FrenchCA||Kaépora Gaébora (OoT3D)|
|SpanishLA||Kaepora Gaebora (OoT3D)|
- "They say that strange owl, Kaepora Gaebora, may look big and heavy, but its character is rather lighthearted." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Once the wise bird takes wing and flies across the chasm, the feathers it sheds in flight will land seemingly in midair." (Majora's Mask Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 51)
- "Kaepora Gaebora will check in with you at the outskirts of the village. Listen to his words of encouragement, then do as he says and forge on." (Four Swords Adventures Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 60)
- "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 87)
- "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoot! Link... Look up here! It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times! Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Continue hovering until you reach the waterfall where Kaepora Gaebora the owl is perched" (Majora's Mask Official Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 38)
- "From the first time you play this song, we shall become eternal friends, transcending time and place!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! We meet again, fairy child! Have my stone statues been of help?" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Well, it seems you may have the strength to change the fate of this land as I had expected. But the road ahead is even more challenging. Many trials await you. Please watch over these Gorons around you. Their land is doomed to be smothered in snow and ice forever. It will become a land where no living thing can survive. Without courage and determination, you surely will collapse from the extreme conditions... But if that courage and determination burns bright within you, then that's another story..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! You are a child of many strengths! Well, perhaps you do have enough strength to change the fate of this mountain after all." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "I shall take to the air now, flying toward that shrine across the way, so follow behind me. Do not be daunted by appearances. Instead, let your feelings guide you, and the true path shall open before you. Are you ready? Follow behind me!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! I have certainly been assured of your courage and determination. From here on, you must not be fooled by appearances. You must rely on your feelings... Now, enter the shrine. Something that will aid you in your quest lies within. Use that item when returning from here." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "The soaring one said the one who could see me would be arriving soon... It seems that it turned out to be true." — Darmani the Third (Majora's Mask)
- "Link! Link! You must awaken, Link! I am Kaepora Gaebora. Mine is the voice you've been hearing since you left the Four Sword Sanctuary." — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I know you are worried about finding Vaati, but you must not act rashly. Find the six shrine maidens and find Princess Zelda, and you will also find Vaati. As for that dark shadow... Let's call him Shadow Link. That one is up to no good. Your sword is weak, but you can restore its power by infusing it with Force Gems. Hoo hoo! The four of you must move together as one! I must fly, but we will meet again on the road ahead!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Great Owl
This aged owl watches over all and uses its vast wisdom to aid Link at key moments in his quest. It's the great owl that teaches Link the Song of Soaring: a magical tune that lets the lad soar around Termina, greatly hastening his travels." (Majora's Mask 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 7)