Magic of The Adventure of Link
Magic, also known as Spells, are abilities in The Adventure of Link. In most cases, the effect of the magic will wear off as soon as Link leaves to another room or the scenery changes. Each Magic Container holds 16 Magic Points, and each magic uses a different amount of Magic Points. Link will learn these eight magical powers from old men in different towns, typically as a reward for a specific task.
Description and effect
The Shield magic is an extremely useful ability that increases Link's defensive abilities (similar to the Red Ring), reducing the damage he takes by half. Link's tunic turns red to show that it is in effect, and it wears off as soon as Link leaves a room and the scene changes. It is the first magic Link should obtain, and can be found in an Old Man's house in Rauru Town.
The Jump magic makes Link jump twice as high as before, allowing access to areas that would be otherwise unreachable. He can learn it by claiming the stolen Trophy in the Tantari Desert and taking it to a woman in the Town of Ruto. This magic is required to get to Midoro Palace, and will surely help the young hero get to other places as well. The magic also increases the width span of Link's jumps, which assists in jumping over deadly pits.
The Life magic recovers some of Link's life energy, and it is one of the magic that uses the most Magic Points. It is probably the most useful magic in the game, as aside from finding rare Fairies or leveling up, it is the only way for Link to recover health when away from towns. By finding a Mirror under a table in a house in the Water Town of Saria, Link can then take it to the woman who lost said mirror. In return, the woman allows him into her house to meet the Old Man who teaches him this magic. While the Life magic only recovers approximately three squares of life energy, it will surely save Link's life many times.
The Fairy magic is a unique ability that temporarily turns Link into a Fairy. While Link can't attack enemies in his fairy form and leaves him defenseless to enemy attacks, he'll have some great advantages in it. The ability to fly will help Link get into high places and cross dangerous pits of water or lava, and the small size of a fairy will enable him to get through small holes. When he activates the magic in a palace, he can fly through the keyholes of locked doors.
In order to obtain this magic, Link must find the Water of Life in a swamp cave to the west of Midoro Palace and bring it to an Old Woman in the Harbor Town of Mido. It is required to enter the Island Palace.
The Fire magic is useful when it comes to defeating tough enemies such as Tektites. It allows Link to shoot fireballs out of his Sword from a distance. The young hero can obtain this powerful magic by taking water from a nearby fountain to a woman who is thirsty in Nabooru Town. As a reward, she lets him in his house to meet the Old Man in the basement.
The Reflect magic increases the strength of Link's shield. As its name suggests, it is used to reflect magical attacks with the Shield, and also allows the shield to block several otherwise-unblockable attacks such as fireballs, axes, and clubs. Link learns this magic from an old man in Mountain Town of Darunia, after retrieving a lost child from Maze Island.
The Spell is one of the most enigmatic magic abilities learned in The Adventure of Link. It is learned near the end of the game in the Hidden Town of Kasuto, and seems to have only one plot-related use, which is to open up another building at the edge of the same town. The other use of it is to turn several enemies into Bots. Link learns this magic from an Old Man in the Hidden Town of Kasuto.
The Thunder magic is one of the most important magical abilities in the game. It is the only way to cause Thunderbird's face to appear, which is its weak spot. The Thunder magic is also a very powerful ability in general, as it destroys all non-boss monsters on the screen. The only drawback is that it is an extremely expensive magic to cast. Link learns this magic from the old man in the Old Town of Kasuto only after the young hero has increased his Magic Meter to the highest possible level by finding the four hidden magic containers.
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5||Level 6||Level 7||Level 8|
|Names in Other Regions|
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Magic wears off if the display changes to another." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 43)
- "Raises Link's life level temporarily. Reduces damage inflicted by the enemy by half." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 43)
- "Using this magic increases Link's jumping power. He can even climb to heights he could not reach with a normal jump." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 43)
- "This can recover Link's LIFE points (but only to a certain extent!). You should use this magic before all is lost." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 43)
- "Magic which makes you a fairy. You can fly by using this." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 43)
- "When this button is used you can throw a fireball while swinging a sword using B button." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)
- "A mysterious magic that can bounce back the magic cast by magicians in the palace. Usually shields can only deflect a magician's magic." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)
- "Magic to cast eerie spells. Its effect is still not fully known." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)
- "It is also said that it'll make the enemy tremble in fear." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)
- "The most powerful of the 8 magics, it can damage all of the enemies on the screen." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)
- "However, Link has to be very strong in order to use it." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 44)