In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Joanne loves to dress up as a mermaid, much like her sister, Jolene, likes to dress up like a pirate. She lives on Bannan Island with the Old Wayfarer after Link completes the Mermaid Sidequest (see below). While she is living in the Wayfarer's hut, Link can give Jolene's Letter to Joanne.
The sidequest begins when Link talks to the Old Wayfarer on Bannan Island. The Wayfarer tells him about a mermaid who appears if no monsters are present on the island. After Link defeats every monster on the island (besides the ones in the nearby cave), the mermaid appears by the coast. However, every time Link gets near her, she ducks down into the water and appears in another spot.
The only way for Link to talk to this mermaid is to aim his Boomerang at her. When it hits the "mermaid", she tells Link that she is just a girl who loves dressing up like a mermaid and demands an apology. Upon hearing Link's story, she agrees to visit the Old Wayfarer.
When Link returns Old Wayfarer's home, he tells Link that he has still not seen the mermaid. He sadly realizes that the mermaid must have found another old wayfarer. Link leaves the hut, and Ciela suggests that Joanne may have confused the Old Wayfarer with Linebeck. When Link talks to Linebeck, he tells Link that a tan girl appeared and started talking to him. As soon as Linebeck said hello, she disappeared. 
When Link returns to the Old Wayfarer's home, he finds that Joanne sitting in the Wayfarer's pool. She tells him that she loves listening to the Wayfarer so she is going to pretend to be a mermaid a little longer. The Old Wayfarer thanks Link for his part in capturing the mermaid and gives him the Fishing Rod he used to try and catch her.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ジョアン (Joan)||Same as English.|
- "The mermaid, she is a sly, elusive creature. She will not show herself if monsters lurk nearby." — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 282
- "You came to this distant island in search of the elusive beast... The mystical creature that bewitches sailors from the waters of this island... You came in search of the mythical mermaid, right?" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What's your problem? So I like getting dressed up like a mythical creature! I'm a human being, treat me like one! I'm not some freak you can throw stuff at! Don't just stand there staring at me! Apologize!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Between us... I've always thought that wayfaring tales were neat... In a high-seas adventure kind of way. Maybe we're fated to meet...I'm gonna go to that old man's hut and visit him!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "WHAT?! My wayfaring heart is filled with the thrill and romance of adventure! You found the mermaid, and she enjoys listening to old wayfarer's tales?! And she said that she would come visit me one day?!" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Ahh... I'm a fool to believe such a wild tale. How could you toy with the hopes of my romantic, wayfaring heart?! I've been waiting here, but no mermaids fond of tales of wayfaring have come. Or...could it be? She must have met another old wayfarer to enchant with her mermaidish song..." — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Tee-hee! You think he's talking about the lazy old guy who drives our ship?" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "OK, get this: a little while ago, this girl came up and started talking to me! She had really tan skin, and she was really spirited. I'd say saucy, even! Wahooooo! But the thing is, I think she might have thought I was someone else. I only had a chance to say "Hey, there. Hello!" Then she disappeared... Well, the life of a dashing sea captain isn't always easy." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, it's you! I found this old wayfarer, all thanks to you! He's great, always raving about the romance of the sea and call of adventure! I'm going to pretend to be a mermaid for a bit and let him think I'm the real thing! Shhhh! It's our little secret..." — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Haha! I finally met the mermaid of my dreams! Never would I have dreamed the mermaid would come to ME! You had a hand in this, young man, and so I want to give you this! I had that fishing rod made so that I could hook the mythical mermaid, but... I obviously don't need it anymore...so you can have it!" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)