|Title||Protector of the Seal|
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
The Poes that make up its body
Enhanced Master Sword
Jalhalla resides in the core of the Earth Temple, and is responsible for the death of the Earth Sage, Laruto. He owes his existence to a small group of about fifteen normal Poes, and a mask that uses their power to form Jalhalla. This beast must be brought down in order to partly restore power to the Master Sword, by placing Medli in her new position as the Earth Sage.
When Link enters the deepest room of the temple, he finds several Poes running about. Suddenly aware of Link's presence, they all turn towards him. They then jump into a mask in the center of the room to form Jalhalla. The battle thus begins.
Jalhalla employs a variety of attacks in the battle. His most common one involves scattering fireballs from his lantern. He can also forcefully blow out air, enough to push Link toward the spiked wall, or suck in air and breathe fire. Touching Jalhalla causes Link to become confused, making him move in the opposite direction of his intended course. During this time, an image of Jalhalla's mask rotates over his head and he appears dizzy. Confusion lasts for approximately 5 seconds, but can be quickly removed by taking damage.
The trick to bringing him down is to direct light at Jalhalla with the Mirror Shield, causing him to materialize and fall. Link must then lift the giant off the floor with the Power Bracelets and throw him, causing him to roll into one of the purple columns of spikes on the walls. This will cause his body to split into many Poes for the young hero to dispose of. Link can use the Hurricane Spin technique to make this task easier if he has already learned it. However, only five Poes can be killed at any time. Link repeats this process to destroy all the Poes by any means to destroy Jalhalla. The boss's mask then appears, dumbfounded that there are no more Poes to use. When he tries to escape, a beam of light solidifies him and causes him to fall to the ground and shatter. Defeating the boss yields a Heart Container and allows Medli to take her place as the Sage of Earth, restoring some of the Master Sword's lost power.
|Jalhalla, Protector of the Seal (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Habitat: Earth Temple|
This gigantic ghost rules over all Poes. After reflecting light onto it with the Mirror Shield, you can lift it and throw it around.
- In Four Swords Adventures, the Big Poe resembles Jalhalla.
- In the GameCube version of the game, the Light Arrows can be used to stun Jalhalla during its battle in Ganon's Tower. This is odd as the Light Arrows can only be obtained after defeating all four bosses in Ganon's Tower. This was changed in The Wind Waker HD.
- Jalhalla's name may be a play on "Valhalla", a kind of warrior's heaven in Norse mythology. His name also sounds similar to "Jahannam", the name of the Islamic equivalent of hell.
- His name could be derived from the Japanese word for belly, 腹 hara, as his oversized stomach is one of his main features.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||封印の守護者ジャイ・ハーラ||Guardian of the Seal: Jai Hāla|
|German||Bannsiegelwachter Jalhalla||Guardian of the Ban-Sigil: Jalhalla|
|Italian||Jay-Harla, guardiano del sigillo||Jay-Harla, Keeper of the Seal|
|Spanish||Fati Triputis||Fate Trinity (Sanskrit)|
- "Jalhalla, Protector of the Seal..." — Nintendo Gallery (The Wind Waker)
- "The temple ahead is the nest of an evil creature...the same creature that stole the life of your predecessor, the sage. It is a dark and frightening place." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- Wind Waker Oddity: Light Arrows, YouTube, published August 18, 2014, retrieved August 18, 2014.