Irene befriends Link early in his adventure, and offers to transport him to any Weather Vane he has activated. She gives Link a Bell that he can ring at any time to call her. Irene offers her assistance after receiving an alarming fortune from the Fortune-Teller in which she is told to "take care of green" in order to avoid the worst outcome.
Irene is attacked by Yuga and turned into a Painting while at the Witch's House, sometime after Link has collected both the Pendant of Power and the Pendant of Wisdom. When Link visits the Witch's House, the Witch tells him how she was powerless to stop Yuga from taking Irene.
The Painting of Irene appears in Lorule Castle when Yuga is using the power of the Seven Sages to revive Ganon. After Yuga merges with Ganon, the Painting is sent to Misery Mire (A Link Between Worlds), but can only be accessed after traversing the Desert Palace in Hyrule. Link rescues Irene after defeating Zaganaga. Inside the Chamber of Sages, she yells at Link for taking so long, but quickly forgives him and urges him to rescue the other Sages. She also tells the young hero that she'll write him a long thank-you letter once he has rescued all of the Sages. Irene remains in the Chamber of Sages until the Triforce is returned to Hyrule, at which point, she returns to the Witch's House to continue her training. Even after being rescued, Irene continues to speak to Link whenever he uses the Bell.
- Irene is similar to Maple in both appearance and personality.
- Internal file names refer to Irene as "Maple", indicating that she may have been planned to be Maple or was intentionally based on her.
|Names in Other Regions|
Possibly from 藍 (Ai)
- "Oh, heavens! My dear grandchild Irene was snatched! It happened so fast! Some awful man came through, very full of himself, and transformed her into...a painting! I-I-I was flummoxed! I just stood there helpless! Oh, my dear granddaughter--GONE! And she'd just been saying how she'd made a new friend of late... I know, I know... This isn't the time to be mixing potions like nothing's wrong... But I just can't calm down if I'm not keeping busy..." — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 300
- "H-hey! You came to rescue me? Well, I...I don't know what to say, Link! But, uh, HEY! My fortune came true after all! you took your sweet time getting here, didn't you?! I was in big trouble! And I've got to get back to my gram! That's all right, I forgive you. Just don't take that long to rescue me next time. And don't make any of the other Sages wait that long either. C'mon, get to saving the rest!" — Irene (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What...? Want more thanks? Tell you what, Link. Save all seven of us Sages, then I'll write a big, long thank-you letter. But for now...? Just be careful, OK?" — Irene (A Link Between Worlds)
- "All right, Irene's Taxi here. That'll be 9,999 Rupees. Nah, just messing with your head. I couldn't take money from you. So buckle up." — Irene (A Link Between Worlds)