Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
- This article refers to the Ocarina of Time dungeon. For the Oracle of Ages dungeon, see Jabu-Jabu's Belly.
|Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Gold Skulltula ×4
|Boss(es)||Bio-electric Anemone: Barinade|
|Quest Reward(s)||Zora's Sapphire|
Entrance to the Belly
The dungeon is set inside the body of Lord Jabu-Jabu, who spends every day on Zora's Fountain. To enter, Link must drop a Fish from his Bottle in front of Jabu-Jabu, causing him to open his mouth and suck both the fish and Link inside. His mission here, while he is looking for the third Spiritual Stone, the Zora's Sapphire, is to rescue Princess Ruto.
While inside, Link must initially avoid the vast variety of parasitic enemies, including an especially large tentacle-like organism with electrified appendages in the shape of unstable pillars and jellyfish-like creatures called Bari, since they become much harder to kill without the Boomerang, the weapon found inside the dungeon. Shortly thereafter, Link locates Princess Ruto inside what appears to be the stomach, who initially refuses to accept any help from Link, and accidentally falls into a hole. Once found again by the young hero, she commands him to help her recover the Sapphire. Link must carry Ruto throughout many rooms to help her find it. These rooms include areas where Link must fight numerous tentacles with the help of the Boomerang, so that new areas can be explored. He eventually enters a large room that has a central platform with the Zora's Sapphire on it.
After taking the Zora's Sapphire, Ruto is captured, and Link is ambushed by a Big Octo that must be defeated in order to continue. After defeating it, Link continues until he locates the creature causing Jabu-Jabu's discomfort: a parasite called Barinade, the dungeon's boss. Link eventually defeats Barinade, rescues Princess Ruto, and receives the Zora's Sapphire as a reward.
The dungeon has many strange changes in the Master Quest version of the game. Instead of uvula-like switches on the ceilings of Jabu Jabu's intestinal tract, there are now cow head switches attached to walls that operate the opening of doors. As for enemies, Lizalfos and Like Likes were added to several rooms, the Parasitic Tentacles were dispersed evenly and in larger quantities throughout Jabu-Jabu's insides, and invisible Keese were supplied to one room that includes an extra Gold Skulltula. Only three Tailpasarans appear in an optional room with a Gold Skulltula, and Business Scrubs were deleted from the Master Quest version. In terms of items, the Dungeon Map, Compass, and Boomerang can be obtained much earlier; the room that contained the Boomerang in the original version now contains the Compass, and vice versa. Other changes include the placement of a grown cow in a room, the addition of a water pillar in the suckhole room, and the presence of Bombchus, which are used to complete various new puzzles throughout the dungeon. Princess Ruto is utilized much less as a gameplay mechanic, as she is only required to hit one switch.
Minor Enemies and Traps
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ジャブジャブ様のお腹 (Jabu Jabu-sama no Onaka)||Lord Jabu-Jabu's Stomach|
|FrenchEU||Ventre de Jabu-Jabu||Jabu-Jabu's Belly|
|German||Jabu-Jabus Bauch||Jabu-Jabu's Belly|
|Italian||Pancia di Jabu Jabu|
|SpanishLA||En la barriga de Jabu-Jabu (OoT3D)|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 148
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 208
- "The evidence seems clear. Of course, you'll go find Ruto. You can pass through here to the altar of Lord Jabu-Jabu." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Lord Jabu-Jabu is very strange today... There are electrified jellyfish and strange holes around..." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "You! Who are you?! I am Ruto, Princess of the Zoras. What?! Are you saying my father asked you to come here to save me? I'd never ask anyone to do such a thing! "Letter in a Bottle?" I have no idea what you're talking about! My father is worried about me? I don't care! Anyway, I can't go home right now. And you... Get out of here! understand?!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ooooh Noooooo!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "You're that worried about me? Then I will give you the honor of carrying me! However...I won't leave until I find the thing I'm looking for. You'd better believe me!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "That's it! That's what I've been looking for!Throw me up there! Onto the platform!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh my goodness! I finally found... My mother's stone... [...] Keeeyaaaah! What is this?! An octopus?!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Well, anyway, you saved me, so I guess I'll reward you. What do you wish? Just tell me... [...] My mother gave it to me and said I should give it only to the man who will be my husband. You might call it the Zora's Engagement Ring! All right! I'll give you my most precious possession: Zora's Sapphire!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)