Impa (pronounced /ˈɪm.pə/ IM-pə or /ˈɪm.pɑː/ IM-pah) is the family name of several female members of the Sheikah, a mysterious tribe that has served and protected the Royal Family of Hyrule for many generations. Every member of the Sheikah tribe so far has been associated with and taken on the role of taking care of an incarnation of Zelda, being a nanny and a bodyguard of sorts in some games. In addition, every Impa has given extensive information and guidance to the various incarnations of Link they encounter in their time.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
The Legend of Zelda
In both The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link, Impa only appears in the game manuals. When Hyrule was under attack by Ganon's forces in The Legend of Zelda, Princess Zelda ordered her old nursemaid Impa to secretly flee and find the one who could save them. Ganon soon found out and sent his men after Impa. Though she managed to stay out of their reach for a long time, she was eventually captured. However, she was saved by a strange boy who managed to chase away Ganon's henchmen. Knowing that this was the one she had been looking for, Impa told him the whole story and asked him to go save Princess Zelda.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, several seasons passed since Ganon was defeated by Link in The Legend of Zelda and Impa had resumed her normal duties. One day, Link came to her because he worries about a strange mark that had appeared on his hand. When Impa saw the mark, she was initially startled, but quickly regained her composure. She then took Link to a door in North Castle that only the members of her family knew how to open. In the room behind the door lay a princess of Hyrule from ancient times and before Link could ask any questions, Impa told the princess' story. When she was done telling, she picked up six Crystals and a scroll lying on a stand next to the altar and gave them to Link. She explained that these items were handed down in her family for generations while waiting for the one who was chosen by destiny to save the princess. She implored Link to follow his destiny and save the princess, to which he agreed.
In Skyward Sword, Impa appears tall and lithe. She has straight light blonde hair, very tanned skin and the standard red eyes of the Sheikah tribe. The Sheikah Eye Symbol is tattooed in red on her forehead, and her left eye is tattooed with the three white marks above and a white teardrop below in the form of the same symbol. She also dresses in blueish purple clothing marked with yellow lines, an orange belt around her waist, and briefly wears a black cloak also marked with yellow lines.
As an old woman, her hair is greyish blonde and has become very long, now braided and wrapped around her eyes and forehead; it hangs down on one side for use as a pendulum. The white teardrop is still visible, but elongated on her wrinkled cheek. She stands quite short and wears a pointed red hood and cape with a variation of the Sheikah eye symbol on the back.
Impa appears as one of the chosen guardians of the goddess Hylia, who is tasked with watching over Demise in the form of The Imprisoned. Impa is a loyal and dedicated guardian and servant to the goddess and states that she gladly will take on the duty.
In the final days of her life following a fierce battle with the Demon King Demise, the goddess ordered Impa to enter a Gate of Time to the far future to protect her eventual mortal incarnation and to help her remember her former life. When Hylia is reborn on the floating island of Skyloft as Zelda, she falls to the Surface. Impa then meets with the former goddess while saving her from a group of Bokoblins near the Earth Temple, later protecting her from Ghirahim's grasp as he is chasing after the young girl. Shortly afterwards, she voices concerns during her first encounter with Link at the fiery temple, believing that he is unworthy of being Hylia's chosen hero, as she was forced to intervene to protect the goddess incarnate during the young hero's absence. Later, at the Temple of Time in Lanayru Desert, she faces Ghirahim in a brief battle while Zelda escapes through a Gate of Time at the temple. She is saved by Link when her magical defenses are overwhelmed by her opponent's powers. She is thus able to proceed through the Gate of Time with Zelda after instructing Link to tell "the old woman" in the Sealed Grounds the recent events so that he may know where to go. Impa then escapes into the past, destroying the gate as it closes behind her and Zelda to prevent Ghirahim from pursuing them.
Link follows Impa's advice and returns to the old woman, who explains that Link will need to strengthen the Goddess Sword with the power of the three Sacred Flames in order to awaken the Gate of Time in the Sealed Temple. She also teaches the young hero how to play the Goddess's Harp as well as the "Ballad of the Goddess" to help him on his quest.
The young Impa remains in the distant past, her own time period, with Zelda and watches over her as she enters a deep slumber in the Temple of Hylia to keep the seal on Demise, who had only recently been sealed by her goddess incarnation, strong in that period of time. After the eradication of Demise outside of the temple in the present, an aged Impa witnesses Zelda finally awaken from her ancient slumber and briefly reunite with Link. The short-lived reunion is interrupted by an aggravated Ghirahim, who kidnaps the newly awakened Zelda and proceeds through the second Gate of Time that is located in the center of the temple, traveling to the temple's distant past. There, the young Impa is attacked and wounded by the demon lord. Once Demise is successfully revived and sealed once more by Link, the young Impa congratulates him on his world-saving accomplishment. After Zelda pleads with Impa to return to the present with them, Impa explains that she is a being of the past and must stay behind to take care of the Gate of Time and the Master Sword. She tells Zelda not to despair and promises that they will meet again one day, to which Zelda gives Impa one of her bracelets as a token of their friendship and the time they spent together before returning to the present.
In the present, an aged Impa awaits the return of the young heroes. As they step out of the Gate of Time, it closes behind them and disappears, revealing her to be behind it. As the heroes approach her, the bracelet given to her by Zelda many years earlier is visible to them, revealing she is indeed the same young, tanned and slender woman they had left behind in the past. She smiles at Zelda, telling her that they indeed did meet again. She then falls silent, steps backwards slightly and fades into particles of light, passing away. The bracelet given to her by Zelda falls to the floor and Zelda mourns her passing, thanking her for everything she did to help them.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Impa was born and raised in Kakariko Village, the village of the Sheikah. She was selected as Princess Zelda's attendant and likely left her village around that time, giving it to the people of other races. Though Hyrule Castle became her new home, she still kept a watching eye over Kakariko though, but most of her attention went to the young princess. Until Link came along, Impa was the only one who believed her visions.
Link met Impa for the first time in Hyrule Castle, where she taught him "Zelda's Lullaby". She then helped him leave the castle. Outside, she advised Link to head to Death Mountain to find the next Spiritual Stone and returned to the princess. However, while Link was searching for the remaining Spiritual Stones, Ganondorf attacked Hyrule Castle, forcing Impa to flee with Princess Zelda. She barely managed to escape Ganondorf and stayed in hiding with the princess for seven years. It is likely that she was the one who raised Zelda during those years and taught her what she had to know to pass off as a Sheikah. Impa also kept protecting Kakariko Village to her best effort.
When Zelda was old enough to take care of herself, Impa started focusing on her old village again. An old evil that had plagued Kakariko Village in the past and that was locked up by Impa, had returned. Impa went to the Shadow Temple in order to imprison the creature again. When Link went to Kakariko Village after his seven year slumber, Sheik greeted him and told him about Impa. Link followed Impa into the Shadow Temple and was able to kill the creature, awakening Impa as the Sage of Shadows. As her new duty as a Sage prevented her from being at Princess Zelda's side, her final words to Link were a request to protect the princess on her behalf. Before leaving, Link received the Shadow Medallion from her.
When Link defeated Ganon, Impa and the other Sages bundled their powers to seal away Ganon. During the ending, she could be seen overlooking a celebrating Hyrule on Death Mountain with the other Sages.
Oracle of Seasons
Impa is the trusted nursemaid of Princess Zelda in Oracle of Seasons, and she has been sent to bring the Oracle of Seasons away from the dangers that threaten her in Holodrum, and take her back to Hyrule. Impa poses as the cook for the Troupe of Performers accompanied by Din at the beginning of the game in a bid to stay close to Din. Unfortunately for her, before she could get a chance to relocate Din to safety, General Onox attacked the troupe and captured Din via a tornado. After Din is captured by General Onox, she puts all her trust into Link, as he bears the Mark of the Triforce. In addition, because of Onox's attack, she was unable to aid Link directly due to sustaining an injury.
Oracle of Ages
Impa is the trusted nursemaid of Princess Zelda in Oracle of Ages. Impa, sent by Zelda to bring Nayru back to Hyrule for protection, meets Link when she finds she cannot move a large rock with the Mark of the Triforce upon it: Link moves this with ease. However, Veran, Sorceress of Shadow, possessed Impa prior to Link's arrival. Veran transfers herself into Nayru, leaving Impa's body. After Nayru is kidnapped, she puts all her trust in Link to save Labrynna. Because Veran's possession of her proved taxing for her, she could not directly aid Link in his quest, though she did help Link regarding finding a secret passage in Nayru's house leading to the Harp of Ages.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, a violet-haired, aged Impa is once again Zelda's nursemaid and one of the descendants of the Seven Sages. Impa goes missing some time after Link clears the Eastern Palace, having been kidnapped by Yuga and turned into a Painting. Yuga eventually uses Impa and the rest of the Sages' power to release Ganon from his seal, in order to merge with the Demon King. Yuga then hides Impa's Painting within Turtle Rock, a magma-filled prison located in the middle of Lorule's Lake Hylia.
After Link rescues Impa from Turtle Rock, she acknowledges him as the hero of this era. Once each of the Seven Sages are rescued, they use their power to summon the Triforce of Courage; Impa then exhorts Link to return to Lorule Castle and use the Triforce to defeat Yuga Ganon.
Breath of the Wild
Impa presides as the elder of Kakariko Village in Breath of the Wild, awaiting the time for Link to awaken from his Slumber of Restoration. When Link arrives at her House, Impa remarks on how long it has been and asks if he remembers her. However, Link's lack of reaction to her makes her realize what his long slumber has done to his memory. Although disappointed, she admits that this may be for the best at the moment and beckons him closer. Once Link approaches her seat, she explains that 100 years ago, Zelda asked that Link be placed in the Shrine of Resurrection and went to battle Ganon by herself. Before she left, the Princess bid Impa give Link her parting words. Impa hesitates to give him Zelda's message, remarking that he should be prepared to risk his life if he hears it and that it may be too much for him without his memory. In the end, she allows him to decide when he is ready. If Link admits that he is uncertain, Impa will happily state that she is willing to wait longer for him to be sure and asks that he take his time.
Link will speak to her again to have her tell him her recounts of the past. She is impressed by his spirit despite his lack of memory and is reminded of why he is considered a hero. Impa knows that Link will need to know about the Royal Family and Calamity Ganon. She proceeds to retell the tale of 10,000 years ago to make up for the gap in Link's recollections. Impa explains that they had attempted to follow the steps that had been taken before, but they had failed. Finally, Impa gives him the last words from Princess Zelda.
Should Link ask what the Divine Beasts are, Impa can explain both them and their former Champions. She cautions Link against facing Ganon without them and asks that he instead recover them by visiting the other races. Impa adds their locations on the Sheikah Slate for him, beginning the "Free the Divine Beasts" Main Quest. It is then that Impa notices that Link's Slate is missing something and directs him to Hateno Village. If Link asks her, Impa will add another beacon on his Sheikah Slate to lead the way to the Village, beginning the "Locked Mementos" Main Quest. Finally, Impa bids that he go forth to meet his destiny, completing the "Seek Out Impa" Main Quest given to him by King Rhoam.
If spoken to again, Impa becomes concerned that Link is having second thoughts. She assures Link that she is not asking him to run to Ganon immediately and simply tells him to focus on the Sheikah Slate. Once their conversation is over, Impa reminds Link of Zelda's plight and urges him to face fate head-on. Should Link remain to speak to her again, she becomes a touch exasperated. She tells Link how important the Slate is to his quest and again reminds him that it must be fixed.
While Link speaks to her granddaughter Paya, Impa occasionally chimes in. As Paya warns the hero about the possible danger of the Yiga, the elder mentions a Great Fairy and tells Link it would be wise to find her. If Link asks Paya about where her birthmark is, Impa asks him to leave the subject alone for now. However, once Paya develops feelings for Link, Impa instead blurts out exactly where the birthmark is, much to her granddaughter's dismay.
- In The Wind Waker, one of the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle's basement depicts Impa along with the other Sages from Ocarina of Time.
- According to Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion, Impa is around 120 years old during the events of Breath of the Wild.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Impa (TLoZ | SS)|
|Russian||Импа (Impa) (BotW)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 238 (OoT)
- "By all rights the girl should have fallen into our hands already. She was nearly ours when that loathsome servant of the goddess snatched her away." — Ghirahim (Skyward Sword)
- "Each statue stirred up memories within me. After I visited them all, Impa, an agent of the goddess, led me here...to the past." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "If General Impa had to retreat, what hope do the rest of us have?" — Hylian Captain (Hyrule Warriors)
- "General Impa, terrible news! The enemy wizard has seized the castle!" — Soldier (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "No thanks needed, Commander Impa! I was just doing my duty as the legendary hero." — Linkle (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Link...I've made up my mind. I'm not going back. I'm staying right here with Grannie." — Groose (Skyward Sword)
- "You may already know this, but although Impa looks a looooot older than me, she's actually my little sister." — Purah (Breath of the Wild)
- "Grandmother says she conspired with Princess Zelda and Auntie Purah 100 years ago." — Paya's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) (VG), IMDb.
- "In addition to many Hyrulean soldiers, other characters, like Zelda, and Impa, will fight alongside you on the same field." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- "There you will find the elder, Impa." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 219,(TLoZ) 223,(TAoL) 250,(OoS) 254,(OoA) 295 (SS) & 300(ALBW)
- "They say that Princess Zelda's nanny is actually one of the Sheikah, who many thought had died out." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- The Legend of Zelda Manual; Page 3-4
- The Adventure of Link Manual; Page 3-4
- The Adventure of Link Manual; Page 5-6
- The Adventure of Link Manual; Page 7-8
- The Adventure of Link Manual; Page 9-10
- The Adventure of Link Manual; Page 11-12
- "Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade. His spirit must not reawaken. He must never be allowed to threaten the world again. This is the nature of the task given to my tribe. As a member of the Sheikah, the goddess's chosen guardians, I gladly welcome this duty. Zelda, I shall watch over the Triforce." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Zelda, at the command of the goddess, I passed through the Gate of Time. I did so to protect you and aid the fight to prevent the world's destruction." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "It took you far too long to get here. Looking at you, I fear the goddess is mistaken in her choice of agents. If this failure is any indication, you have no hope of defending Her Grace from those who seek to assail her." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "I will. You have my thanks, [Link]." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "[Link]! You must go now. Return to the old woman at the Sealed Grounds. Tell her what happened here. She will know where you must go!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Your Grace! Quickly, to the gate!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, sorry to disappoint you, boy, but for now your sword lacks the power necessary to awaken the gate. Faron Woods...Eldin Volcano...and Lanayru Desert... A sacred flame is hidden somewhere in each of these lands. Seek them out, and purify your sword in their heat. Only after your blade has been tempered by these three fires will it be fully imbued with the great power for which you search." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Focus and play in time with the pulsing of the circle of light. When your timing is right, I shall join my voice to your harp. Listen well, for the song I sing will be of great help to you in your journey." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "It's Ghirahim... He appeared out of thin air and got the drop on me. Don't worry about me... You must chase after him! He ran through the great doors at the front of the temple. You may yet catch him before it's too late. Hurry!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Zelda, Your Grace, you possess the memories of the goddess. You must understand why that is not possible. I am a being of this age. My place is here. You must return to your own time. I will take care of the gate once you have passed through. [...] The last remnants of Demise are decaying slowly within the sword. Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Do not despair, Zelda. You and I will surely meet again someday." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "...See? I told you we'd meet again." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Impa... Thank you. Thank you for everything." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You brave lad... We must protect this beautiful land of Hyrule! Take a good look at that mountain. That is Death Mountain, home of the Gorons. They hold the Spiritual Stone of Fire. At the foot of Death Mountain you will find my village, Kakariko. That is where I was born and raised. You should talk to some of the villagers there before you go up Death Mountain. The song I just taught you has some mysterious power. Only Royal Family members are allowed to learn this song. Remember, it will help to prove your connection with the Royal Family. The Princess is waiting for you to return to the castle with the stones. All right. We're counting on you!" — Impa (Ocarina of Time)
- "This used to be the great Impa's house, but she doesn't live here any longer. It is now open to all villagers. You are free to go on in. This village used to be a Sheikah village, but the great Impa opened it to everyone." — Soldier (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hello there, son. Zelda's attendant, the great Impa, opened this village to the common people. We have only a small population now, but someday this place will be as lively as Hyrule Castle Town! Oh, yes! It will! Climb up the stairs at the north end of the village to find the trail that leads up Death Mountain. But you need the King's permission to actually go up the mountain." — Soldier (Ocarina of Time)
- "Have you heard the legend of the "Shadow Folk"? They are the Sheikah...the shadows of the Hylians. They say they swore allegiance to the King of Hyrule and guarded the Royal Family. But with the long peace, no one has seen a Sheikah around here for a long time. However... I heard there is one Sheikah woman living in the castle..." — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am the boss of the Carpenters that Impa hired to improve this village and make it into a true city! But young men these days don't have any ambition... Do you know what I mean, kid? My workers are just running aimlessly around the village, and they're not making any progress at all... Even my own son doesn't have a job, and he just wanders around all day! They're all worthless, I tell you!!" — Master Craftsman (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am Impa of the Sheikahs. I am responsible for protecting Princess Zelda. Everything is exactly as the Princess foretold. You are a courageous boy... You are heading out on a big, new adventure, aren't you? My role in the Princess's dream was to teach a melody to the one from the forest. This is an ancient melody passed down by the Royal Family. I have played this song for Princess Zelda as a lullaby ever since she was a baby... There is mysterious power in these notes. Now listen carefully... Memorize this song..." — Impa (Ocarina of Time)
- "If the castle soldiers find you, there will be trouble. Let me lead you out of the castle." — Impa (Ocarina of Time)
- "The one riding on the white horse holding the little girl... Wasn't that a legendary Sheikah?" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time).
- "This is the great Impa's house! The great Impa has gone to the graveyard to seal up the humongous creature there. Since Ganondorf appeared, many monsters have been sighted around here. Only the great Impa has kept peace in our village. You have to remember that, young man! Oh well. Speaking of the great Impa, she hasn't come back yet. I wonder what happened to her?" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Looks like you're coming around... Link... A terrible thing has happened! The evil shadow spirit has been released! Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, had sealed the evil shadow spirit in the bottom of the well.... But the force of the evil spirit got so strong, the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world!! I believe Impa has gone to the Shadow Temple to seal it up again, but...she will be in danger without any help! Link! Impa is one of the six Sages. Destroy the evil shadow spirit and save Impa! There is an entrance to the Shadow Temple beneath the graveyard behind this village. The only thing I can do for you is teach you the melody that will lead you to the Shadow Temple... This is the melody that will draw you into the infinite darkness that absorbs even time... Listen to this, the Nocturne of Shadow!! Let me take care of the village! I'm counting on you, Link!" — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "The boy with the noble Zelda's Ocarina... As I expected, you have come. I am Impa, one of the Sheikah. I am Princess Zelda's caretaker, and I am also the Sage who guards the Shadow Temple. We Sheikah have served the royalty of Hyrule from generation to generation as attendants. However... On that day seven years ago, Ganondorf suddenly attacked... and Hyrule Castle surrendered after a short time. Ganondorf's target was one of the keys to the Sacred Realm...the hidden treasure of the Royal Family... The Ocarina of Time! My duty bound me to take Zelda out of Ganondorf's reach. When last I saw you, as we made our escape from the castle, you were just a lad... Now I see that you have become a fine hero... There's nothing to worry about... The Princess is safe now. Soon, you'll meet Princess Zelda face-to-face, and she will explain everything... That is when we, the six Wise Ones, will seal up the Evil King and return peace to Hyrule. I have to stay here... You go to Princess Zelda's side and protect her on my behalf. Now I put my power, which should be helpful to you, into this Medallion!" — Impa (Ocarina of Time)
- "You received the Shadow Medallion! Impa awakens as a Sage and adds her power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am Impa, the troupe's cook. And you are?" — Impa (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Yet as Hyrule is facing the same threat as in the legend of old, you have so much more to endure." — Impa (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You have claimed the power of the gods Link. With it you can stop the return of the Demon King-and thwart his evil ambitions. Now hero, you must take your battle to Lorule Castle, there awaits the Demon King." — Impa (A Link Between Worlds)
- "...So you're finally awake. It has been quite a long time...Link. I am much older now, but...you remember me, don't you?" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "What's the matter? You are looking at me as though I am a stranger to you. Those eyes... They lack the light of familiarity. It is I, courageous one. Impa. Surely you must at least remember the name Impa? I see... So you have lost your memory." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well, it matters not. In fact, that may actually be a blessing in disguise for the time being. Dearest Link... Please come a bit closer." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "A hundred years ago... Yes... A hundred years ago, the kingdom of Hyrule was destroyed. After you fell, Princess Zelda's final wish was to place you in a sacred slumber. And then...all alone... Alone she went to face Ganon." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Before Princess Zelda went to nobly meet her fate...she entrusted me with some words she wished to say to you. I have been waiting 100 years to deliver the princess's message." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "However! These words, which the princess risked her life to leave you... Well, if you are to hear them... You must be prepared to risk your life as well. But I am afraid that burden may be too much to bear while you are still without your memories." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "I leave the choice to you. When you feel you are ready to receive the princess's message, return to me." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I don't know...] I have been waiting for 100 years. Needless to say, I can certainly wait a bit longer, if I must. This is an important decision. You must not make it lightly. Please take your time thinking it over." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The words that the princess risked her life to impart to you...I cannot pass them on to someone who lacks conviction. Are you prepared to risk your life for the greater good?" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ha! Not a memory to your name, yet you are as intent as ever to charge forward with only courage and justice on your side. You have not changed a bit. Once a hero, always a hero." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Very well. Since you have lost your memory, I will recount for you all that has happened... The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of Calamity Ganon, a primal evil that has endured over the ages. This evil has been turned back time and time again by a warrior wielding the soul of a hero, and a princess who carries the blood of the Goddess. With the passage of time, each conflict with Ganon faded into legend. So listen closely as I tell you of this "legend" that occurred 10,000 years ago." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hyrule was then blossoming as a highly advanced civilization. Even the most powerful monsters posed little threat to the denizens of the realm. The people thought it wise to utilize their technological prowess to ensure the safety of the land, should Calamity Ganon ever return. They constructed four mechanical wonders that came to be known as the Divine Beasts. They also built a legion of autonomous weapons called Guardians. The Divine Beasts were piloted by four individuals of exceptional skill from across the land. And thus, the plan to neutralize Ganon was forged. Upon Ganon's inevitable return to Hyrule, the princess and the hero fought alongside these four Champions against this ancient evil. The Guardians were tasked with protecting the hero as the Divine Beasts unleashed a furious attack upon their terrible foe. And when the hero wielding the sword that seals the darkness delivered his final blow... The princess used her sacred power to seal away Calamity Ganon." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "A hundred years ago... in preparation for the foretold revival of Ganon, we strove to follow the lead of our ancestors of 10,000 years prior." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "But...in the end... Despite our best efforts and careful planning, we underestimated his power." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "In order to avoid ever making that grave mistake again, the princess left you these words... Free the four Divine Beasts. That is what she said." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The four Divine Beasts are the ancient Sheikah weapons weilded by the four Champions who Ganon defeated. The Divine Beast Vah Rudania, controlled by Daruk of the Gorons. The Divine Beast Vah Medoh, controlled by Revali of the Rito. The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, controlled by Mipha of the Zora. And the Divine Beast Vah Naboris, controlled by Urbosa of the Gerudo." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "It would be ill-advised to face Ganon without the power of the Divine Beasts to help you... You must infiltrate the Divine Beasts that were stolen away by Ganon 100 years ago and bring them back to our side. More information about these Divine Beasts can be found by locating the four races scattered across Hyrule." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Sheikah Slate will guide you on your way. You must go where it tells you and meet with each leader there." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "...It seems to me that your Sheikah Slate is not yet complete. The device Princess Zelda left you is your guide and also your memory. Now, let's see... Someone at the research lab in Hateno Village might be able to help you..." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The location shining on the eastern edge is Hateno Village. It is a small village... One of the very few places that avoided suffering significant damage during the Great Calamity." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "You are Princess Zelda's only hope...and Hyrule's, as well... You cannot turn back now. Follow your heart and seize your destiny!" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Is something wrong? Do not tell me the steel has slipped from your spine..." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "I realize you have just awoken. I am not suggesting that you must defeat Calamity Ganon right this moment. For now, you should focus on getting that broken Sheikah Slate fixed. Hurry to the research lab in Hateno Village." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Princess Zelda is fighting Calamity Ganon all alone. You are the only one who can save her—the only one who can save Hyrule. Now go. You must!" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "You're still here?" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Princess Zelda gifted that Sheikah Slate to you. It is the only guide that can lead you to Calamity Ganon. But you cannot use it to its full potential in its present state... Hurry to Hateno Village." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Great Fairy Cotera... Only a few remain who know this, but this village was built under her watchful eye. The mysterious power of Cotera is that of sacred protection... I suggest you seek her out." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Um, Master Link... I advise you change the subject." — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's smack in the middle of her left butt cheek!" — Impa (Breath of the Wild)
- Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion pg. 360
- Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion pg. 398
- "Zelda sent her loyal nursemaid Impa to find this hero..." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. Prologue [Issue 1])
- "Hyrule's North Palace destroyed. Ganon triumphant. Link doomed. Zelda's people enslaved. All these things will come to pass...if Link leaves the North Palace today. [...] Yes, Zelda! There can be no mistake. The Triforce of Wisdom predicted it to me this morning. Link, you must not leave the palace!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 1 [He Also Serves])
- "No! The Triforce of Wisdom is not a weapon. But it can grant you the wisdom that will help you use the weapons of truth and light! Find a Silver Arrow. If your heart is true, the Triforce will help you use it to destroy Ganon." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 4 [Choices])
- "Impa! The Triforce of Wisdom--! It's GONE!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 1)
- "Yes, Zelda! The day has come... Once each day, princess, all three Triforces--Wisdom, Power, and Courage--disappear from Hyrule for one day, from dawn to dusk!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 1)
- "'Link,' she says. 'Use this.' She shoves a green arrow into his hand. 'Why?' Link asks. Impa pinches Link's cheek. 'Magic,' she says and disappears back into the crowd." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 83)
- "Link feels his heart drop. He looks at Impa. 'What happened?' The old woman shakes her head. 'That arrow I gave you was magic. Some powerful force must have thrown it off.' 'Hmm,' Link says grimly. He stares at Charles. 'The more I see of Sir Charles, the more I wonder what he's really up to.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 75)
- "'There's only one thing to do. You must hold Charles up to the Mirror of Truth. Then we'll see his true self.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 88)
- "'Well, thing do get lost.' Impa sounds a little touchy. 'I hear it was last seen in Saria Town. You might start looking there.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 88)
- Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion pg. 398
- "The old female storyteller who feeds information to Zelda is named Impa; her name comes from the word impart." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 2-3)
- Hyrule Historia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 106 (TLoZ)
- Hyrule Historia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 16(SS)