- This article is about the Dungeon in A Link to the Past. For other similar Dungeons, see Ice Temple (Disambiguation).
Entrance to the Palace
Entrance to the Palace
It is located in the middle of Ice Lake, the Dark World counterpart of Lake Hylia. Access to the dungeon is granted by swimming to the largest island in the Light World. Lifting up the black rock (which requires collection of the Titan's Mitt in Thieves' Town) reveals a portal; Link must step on it to be transported to the middle of Ice Island, where he can enter the dungeon.
The Ice Palace is possibly the first ice-themed dungeon in The Legend of Zelda series, followed six years later by the Ice Cavern from Ocarina of Time. As such, the ground is frozen in most rooms, making Link's traction more difficult. It contains numerous floors as well, although none of them have too many rooms, and the main objective is to descend to the last floor, where the boss resides. Link frequently has to move blocks that obstruct his way, and some creatures can only be defeated with the Fire Rod or the Bombos Medallion. This dungeon is considered to be one of the most difficult in the game, although one of its rooms has its complexity lowered in the Game Boy Advance port. A similar location called the Ice Ruins exists in Lorule in A Link Between Worlds, though it is on Death Mountain while Lorule's version of Turtle Rock is located in the middle of a swamp.
Enemies and Traps
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||氷の塔 (Kōri no Tō)||Ice Tower|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 147 (ALttP)
- "Level 5
Ice Palace" — N/A (A Link to the Past, Game Boy Advance version)
- "The Ice Palace (in the Dark World) has been revamped in an area, making it twice as easy as it used to be. Instead of having to push a block from the floor above and onto a switch to hold a door open like in the SNES version, the GBA version has been revamped so this entire process can be skipped over." — N/A, Remake Changes - The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past Wiki Guide, IGN, published December 14, 2013, retrieved October 6, 2018.
- "I don't want any trouble! I just want to see the map of the Dark World!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "This map you speak of is Kholdstone's greatest treasure! I will never let you gaze upon it! Arise, Stalfos! Destroy him!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 6)
- "It's impossible to keep them down! Aaaargh!! I've had enough!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- "You've got quite a temper... If you bring the place down, you will destroy the map also! [...] Look down, fool!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 8)
- "Ah...the floor is the map?! Now...where's Turtle Rock?!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 8)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Vol. 2 (Shogakukan 2) pg. 3