Hyrulean Civil War
|Hyrulean Civil War|
Link's Father describes the war in a comic based on Ocarina of Time.
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Occurrence(s)||Hyrule erupts into a civil war for unknown reasons.|
|Resolution(s)||The unification of the realm under the banner of the Royal Family. Link's Mother is wounded and dies, leaving the infant Link in the care of the Great Deku Tree.|
The war was first referenced by the Deku Tree Sprout to explain Link's origins after he lifted the curse on the Forest Temple. To escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy went to the Kokiri Forest. Before passing away, the mother left her child under the guardianship of the Great Deku Tree. The Great Deku Tree proclaimed that the child was fated to save the world. The child, named Link, was raised as a Kokiri and a few years later became the Hero of Time.
After many Hyruleans had perished, finally the war ended and resulted in the unification of Hyrule under one banner. Ganondorf once again swore fealty to the King of Hyrule, placing the Gerudo Desert under Hyrule's control, though Ganondorf only did so to secure the king's trust so he could move freely in Hyrule while enacting his plans. Races such as the Zora, Gorons, and Kokiri became rare sights in central hubs like Kakariko Village and Castle Town, but contact was generally limited to diplomatic reasons. Many regions were inaccessible without the Royal Family's permission, and cultural exchange was essentially nonexistent. The peace was short lived however, as some years later, Ganondorf acquired the Triforce of Power and the conquest of Hyrule began.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 10 (Series)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 84
- "Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest. The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest. The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!" — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 19
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 68
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 20