A Human woman and a Human man, from Twilight Princess
|Special Characteristic(s)||Round ears|
Humans,(MM | TP) also known as Human Beings,(PH) are a race in the The Legend of Zelda series. Humans go unnamed in A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, and Tri Force Heroes.
Unlike Hylians, who are more prolific and possess wide, pointed ears, Humans have rounded ears and are much less commonly seen in the series. Human may also be a term sparsely mentioned in the series, which more often than not applies to Hylians, at least in the case with Twilight Princess, but would also seem to be a wider umbrella term that includes others outside of the group as well.
Humans are seldom seen in The Legend of Zelda series, as Hylians and other humanoid races dominate the land of Hyrule. Round-eared Humans, however, do occasionally appear and seem to thrive in lands that exist outside of Hyrule, including Koholint Island, Labrynna, Holodrum, certain islands in the Great Sea and World of the Ocean King, the Ordona Province, and Hytopia.
On Zelda Wiki, characters whose ears are obscured are assumed to be Humans.
Humans are for the most part identical to Hylians, with the sole exception being their small, rounded ears in contrast to the Hylians' pointed ears. As it is often said that the Hylians' long ears allow them to hear the voice of the gods, it can be assumed that Humans do not possess this same ability. The origins of Humans and their relationship to Hylians is never quite elaborated in the series, and indeed, round-eared Humans are never given any specific name in the games.
Humans are seldom seen in contrast to the more prolific, dominating Hylian race. Nonetheless, round-eared Humans do still occasionally appear across the series, and are often especially populous in lands in outer Hyrule. Labrynna, Holodrum, Ordon Village, and Hytopia are notable places whose populations consist almost entirely of round-eared Humans. In fact, round ears are so commonplace to Hytopia that pointed ears are seen as something of a rarity, enough to be one of the prerequisites for being a Tri Force Hero of legend.
Round-eared Humans first made their appearance in Link's Awakening, in which all of the people living on Koholint Island have round ears, making Link the only Hylian to reside on the island during his stay. They mostly live in Mabe Village, but several others also live in remote houses across the isle. Tarin is a notable Human in this game, whose round ears are clearly visible in his artwork.
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
Humans predominately live in Labrynna of Oracle of Ages and Holodrum of Oracle of Seasons. Nearly the entire population of these lands consist of round-ears Humans, with only the three Oracles as the sole residents with pointed ears. Interestingly, a number of characters who were Hylians in other games now appear as Humans with round ears; including the Happy Mask Salesman, the Head Carpenter and his assistants, Mamamu Yan and the Postman of Labrynna, and Guru-Guru, Malon, Talon and Ingo of Holodrum.
In Twilight Princess, Humans predominately live in the autonomous Ordona Province, which is said to not be a part of Hyrule proper. Link is the only Hylian to live in the village. While Humans are most populous to the Ordona Province, a couple of round-eared Humans also live within the kingdom of Hyrule, including Barnes of Kakariko Village, Hena and Iza of Zora's River, and their brother Coro living in the Faron Woods.
Tri Force Heroes
In Tri Force Heroes, the kingdom of Hytopia is entirely inhabited by round-eared Humans; no Hylians or other races live as residents in the state. This fact is pointed out by many of the inhabitants, as notably demonstrated when the populace reacts with surprise to Link's pointed ears or regards them as fashionable. Round ears are so common to Hytopia that pointed ears are even regarded as one of the prerequisites for being a Tri Force Hero.
- The Street Merchant in A Link to the Past is the first round-eared Human to appear in the series, as indicated by his noticeably round ears.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Did you memorize the code? If only you were human...then I could make you a Bombers member... Too bad!" — Jim (Majora's Mask 3D)
- "In this shadow realm...of twilight...the insects...are invisible...like the humans...of this world..." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess HD)
- "What's your problem? So I like getting dressed up like a mythical creature! I'm a human being, treat me like one! I'm not some freak you can throw stuff at! Don't just stand there staring at me! Apologize!" — Joanne (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I am a Goron elder, little human." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "Really, dear, you can't blame the humans for tossing you out, the way you look." — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "Ganon... This beast was once of the Gerudo... Once human. He was called Ganondorf!" — Princess Zelda (Four Swords Adventures)
- "They say we Hylians have big ears in order to hear the voices of the gods...but I've never heard them!" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Those ears are a dead giveaway... So positively pointy! I must say, they're rather chic!" — Madame Couture's Apprentice (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Oh? My! Oh my, oh my, oh my! Ears fit to pierce the heavens! An impeccable side parting! And the universal symbol of heroism...magnificent sideburns! I say, my boy, you are the spitting image of a Tri Force Hero!" — Bearded Baron (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Oh, no, I don't believe he's from Hyrule proper at all. No, my understanding is that he's from the big neighboring province of Ordona." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "I was supposed to deliver something to the royal family of Hyrule the day after tomorrow... Yes, it was a task set to me by the mayor, but...would you go in my stead? You have...never been to Hyrule, right?" — Rusl (Twilight Princess)
- "That noisy child over there... He seems to have a lot of friends, even though his ears are round. Hasn't anybody told him?" — Woman (Tri Force Heroes)