Before the Wing Ceremony, he asks for Link's help retrieving Gaepora's Remlit, Mia, who has climbed atop the academy's roof. Horwell explains that, although Mia looks harmless, he lets the Remlit roam free outside at night since the creature transforms into a vicious monster.
After Link's Loftwing is kidnapped by Groose, Headmaster Gaepora informs Horwell about the incident so that he may delay the Wing Ceremony. When Horwell learns of this, he reassures Link not to worry about the race, pointing out that he owes the young hero for having recovered Mia for him.
- As most residents of Skyloft are modeled after birds, Horwell's and Owlan's designs were based on the Rito from The Wind Waker.
|Names in Other Regions|
Concept art of Horwell from Hyrule Historia
- "His name is Horwell. This instructor at the Knight Academy is recognized as an expert on animals of every shape and size." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 294
- "You see, Zelda's father--Headmaster Gaepora--has a pet named Mia, and, well...she's scampered off again." — Horwell (Skyward Sword)
- "Such an odd creature, the Remlit. She may look cuddly now, but at night, it's another story entirely! When night falls here in Skyloft, creatures like this Remlit become possessed by an evil force." — Horwell (Skyward Sword)
- "I keep my distance from Mia at night. There was that one time when she snuck into the academy after nightfall." — Horwell (Skyward Sword)
- "If I recall correctly, this year Instructor Horwell is presiding over the ceremony. Link, you should go explain the situation to him and see if he's willing to delay the race a little so that you can find your bird." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "I still owe you for helping me out earlier, so don't worry about the ceremony for now. You focus on finding your Loftwing!" — Horwell (Skyward Sword)
- "Look, Link! Though night has come, Mia exhibits none of the nocturnal aggressiveness we've come to expect in Remlits! It's just amazing!" — Horwell (Skyward Sword)
- "In the beginning, it was decided that all residents of Skyloft would be modeled after birds. That's we're the idea to give Henya a rooster's body came from. Groose's pointy hairstyle was inspired by a rooster's comb. Owlan's and Horwell's designs were based on the Rito tribe from The Wind Waker." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 23)