Reaching faraway areas and objects
Hookshots (pronounced /ˈhʊkˌʃɒt/ HUUK-shot),(ALttP | LA | LADX | OoT | OoT3D | MM | MM3D | TWW | TWWHD | ALBW | SSB | HW | CoH)[name reference missing], also known as Hook Shots,(ALttP | LA)[note 1] are recurring Items in The Legend of Zelda series. They are machines consisting of a chain and hook. When used, the chains extend and send the hook attached towards their targets. If the hooks latch onto certain objects, Link is projected towards those objects. Link can also use them to pull enemies and objects towards him.
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Non-Canon Appearances
- 3 Nomenclature
- 4 Gallery
- 5 See Also
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
Location and Uses
In nearly all games, the Hookshot is almost always found inside dungeons. A recurring trend in the series is that the Hookshot is typically found inside water-themed or flooded dungeons, such as the Swamp Palace in A Link to the Past, or Catfish's Maw in Link's Awakening. The Hookshot is usually guarded by the dungeon's mini-boss and often becomes necessary to navigate the remainder of these dungeons it is found in. It is also often required to defeat the dungeons' bosses.
The Hookshot is used most commonly to grapple onto far away objects so that Link can reach previously inaccessible areas. In addition, the Hookshot can also be used as a replacement for the Boomerang by allowing Link to grab far away objects (like hard to reach Rupees or out of reach switches) and attack enemies. In most cases, attacking an enemy with the Hookshot will only stun them, but some weaker enemies such as Keese will be defeated when hit with the Hookshot. Other enemies, such as Like Likes, will instead pull Link towards them when hit by the Hookshot, which can potentially hurt Link or threaten his other items.
In 2D Zelda games, the Hookshot will latch onto specific solid objects that stand in any of the four cardinal directions and can include blocks, chests, specific stones, or pots. It is often used to pull Link over pits and unsafe hazards. In the 3D console games, the 3D environment makes greater use of the Hookshot as it can also be used to reach higher or lower heights. In these games, objects that can be grappled onto are usually marked with a bulls-eye target. In Ocarina of Time, the Hookshot also produces a laser light used for aiming the Hookshot. In Ocarina of Time 3D, the laser dot is surrounded by an extra red ring when the Hookshot is pointed at a viable object. In said game, the Hookshot can also be aimed by moving the Nintendo 3DS.
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
The Wind Waker
A Link Between Worlds
The Hookshot can be rented for 50 Rupees or bought for 800 Rupees from Ravio's Shop in A Link Between Worlds. The Hookshot can be upgraded to the Nice Hookshot by Mother Maiamai, if Link has purchased the Hookshot from Ravio's Shop and has found at least 10 Lost Maiamais. The Nice Hookshot deals more damage and extends farther.
The Hookshot can be used to grapple onto switches as well as wooden walls, which Link can then quickly merge with.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||フックショット (Fukkushotto) (ALttP | LANS)||Hook Shot|
|FrenchEU||Grappin (OoT3D)||Grappling Hook|
|German||Enterhaken (LANS)||Boarding Hook|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Climb up walls with the Hookshot" — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 127(ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | TWW | ALBW)
- "Hookshot: Use this on distant targets to pull yourself to them." — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "BOING! This is the Hook Shot! It extends and contracts and... BOING! It can grapple many things!" — N/A (A Link to the Past)
- "You've got the Hook Shot! Its chain stretches long when you use it!" — N/A (Link's Awakening DX)
- "This is the Hook Shot in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Latch it onto something far away and ZIP, off you go! It's also great for stunning enemies if you hit them with it." — The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Hook Shot | Facebook, Facebook, published August 15, 2019, retrieved August 15, 2019.
- "Hookshot -- Assign it to
Use it to pull yourself to certain objects or stun and knock back enemies." — Inventory (Cadence of Hyrule)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Shogakukan) pg. 13
Une chaîne montée sur ressort qui se déroule puis se rétracte. Visez une cible pour vous y tracter." — Inventory (Ocarina of Time 3D)