Hitch in the Works
|"Hitch in the Works"|
|Original airdate||November 10, 1989|
|Country of origin||United States|
"Hitch in the Works" is the tenth episode of The Legend of Zelda TV series, but the twelfth in production order. It was first aired in the United States and Canada on November 10, 1989.
- See also: Episode transcript
Link attempts to sneak out of the castle in order to go fishing, but Zelda runs into him and informs him that he needs to do chores around the castle if he wants to earn his keep since Ganon hasn't attacked in weeks. While filling the castle's lamps with oil, Link spies a strange mechanical robot that takes a few steps toward him and promptly shatters; much to the dismay of its builder, Doof the handyman. Doof tells Link that the robot was supposed to be his assistant. Link encourages him to try again so that the young hero will do less work, but Doof's magic only causes the robot to go haywire, using a mop as a pogo stick and making a mess.
While Link and Doof are chasing the robot, some of Ganon's Moblins infiltrate the castle by using a secret trapdoor under the floor tiles. The Moblins break Doof's robot again, and during their battle with Link, ensnare him in a net. Doof attempts to help by casting a spell on the robot again, allowing Link enough time to defeat the Moblins while they are distracted by it. Unfortunately, a hit from a Moblin's Boomerang causes the robot to collapse once more, knocking Link unconscious. When he wakes up, he is being scolded by Zelda for making such a mess and sleeping on the job. He tries to tell her about the Moblins he defeated, but she doesn't believe him. Link then asks Doof if he can conjure up some fake Moblins so he can "rescue" Zelda and get out of doing the chores. However, Zelda overhears their discussion as she was cleaning a nearby door.
Meanwhile, in the Underworld, Ganon reveals his plans to put a Jewel of Control on Zelda, forcing her to marry him and make him ruler of Hyrule. Back at the castle, the Moblins catch Zelda and Link off-guard, because they both assume that they are Doof's fake Moblins, and not real ones. Despite Link's attempts to stop the Moblins, Zelda is taken to Ganon's lair where he places the Jewel around Zelda's neck, forcing her to say yes to his marriage proposal.
After defeating several Stalfos, Link makes his way into Ganon's lair and interrupts the ceremony, only to discover that Zelda does not want to be rescued. Ganon tells him that she is under his control, and then summons a Gleeok from the Evil Jar to attack Link. Link fires three Sword Beams at the monster's necks, but the heads separate and come after him. He skillfully dodges their attacks, causing them to fly straight into Ganon. Back above ground, Link tries to get Zelda to kiss him for rescuing her, but the princess blames the debacle on Link, who was trying to scare her with fake Moblins. She then promptly screams and jumps into Link's arms when she sees one, which turns out to be Doof's fake Moblin after all.
- This episode marks one of the few times Ganon has shown any romantic interest in Princess Zelda.
- The monster presiding over the wedding ceremony looks similar to the Magician from The Adventure of Link. He also appears to be based on the Grim Reaper, but may be a Wizzrobe holding a scythe.
- "No! Ganon hasn't attacked in weeks and it's time you started earning your keep. There's chores to be done." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Oh, it was supposed to be my assistant. Help with the chores. Didn't work though." — Doof (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Hey, don't give up yet. Any adventure that means doing less work is ok with me. Go on, give 'er another try." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Oh, darn it! I just fixed that!" — Doof (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Oh, I must help Link! Alakazoo!" — Doof (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "You were sleeping on the job, THAT'S what happened." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "No, no. I remember now! There was a bunch of Moblins. Like 50 or 60 of them, yeah! And I bravely and heroically fought them off. So, uh, yeah." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "A likely story. I don't see any Moblins. All I see is a bunch of junk on the floor that needs to be picked up. So get to it, hero. And no more naps, ok?" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Say, Doof. Could you make up some fake Moblins, that look real, I mean. [...] That way, see, I can save Zelda from the fake Moblins and get out of doing these stupid chores." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Hmm...that's what YOU think, Link." — Princess Zelda (, Episode 10 )
- "I wanted that princess. But once I place this Jewel of Control around her neck, the princess will do anythingI say--even "Marry me!" Aha ha ha ha! And make ME ruler of all Hyrule! Aha ha ha ha!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "If Link thinks his fake Moblins will scare me, he's in for a surprise." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "Those Moblins are real!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "What?! If you think I'm gonna marry you, pigface, you're--absolutely right. I WILL marry Ganon." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "No. I'm marrying Ganon." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "She's under my control, hero! And as for you, you have your own problems!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )
- "No! I just remembered, this is all YOUR fault! [...] Yes! If you hadn't been trying to scare me with those fake Moblins, this never would've happened!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 10 )