Hero Points are a type of score-keeping in Tri Force Heroes. It was introduced in the version 2.1.0 update.
Hero Points are awarded whenever a player clears a Level via local play or Download Play, or when a player is playing online and clears a Level that they did not personally vote for. Hero Points are also awarded if a player selects "I cannot decide!" during the Level selection screen and clears the Level chosen. A single point is awarded for every Level that the player successfully completes in this way. The number of Hero Points can be tracked by speaking with Mr. Tudor or by inspecting the southeast tree in the town of Hytopia; the number of cicada shells displayed are the number of Hero Points currently earned.
Hero Points have a few uses. Hero Points can be saved up and shown to the Street Merchant to receive free Materials as a reward; the kind of Materials the Street Merchant will give will always be a Material that is required to craft an unfinished Outfit. The Street Merchant will also keep track of Hero Points earned, and tell how many more are needed for the next Material. Through this, it is possible to receive the rare, gold-ranked Materials normally only given out by King Tuft after completing Drablands Challenges or through the Coliseum. The Street Merchant, however, will not give out free Friendly Tokens. Once Link has crafted all Outfits that do not require Friendly Tokens, the Street Merchant will no longer give out free Materials.
Hero Points are also used to upgrade the effects of the Bear Minimum Digs. After acquiring 30 Hero Points, the Outfit grants two extra Hearts, increases the chance at dodging attacks, and produces a visual sparkling effect. A crown is also added to the Outfit's bear insignia. It, however, still causes Link to take double damage.
According to Mr. Tudor, it is also possible to lose Hero Points through bad behavior, which can cause the upgraded Bear Minimum Digs to lose its effect. It is, however, possible to regain its effects after collecting enough points. The exact prerequisites for losing Hero Points and the Outfit's effects are unknown.
- "You can also earn them by completing levels via Local Play or Download Play. Pretty snazzy, eh? It gets better too." — Mr. Tudor (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Heroes who complete a level they did not personally vote for in Online Play will be rewarded a hero point." — Mr. Tudor (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Ya seem happy. Content even. I'd like to keep rewarding you for your hero points, but to be honest... It doesn't look like there's anything more I can give you that'd make you happy. My work here is done. I'm gettin' all emotional now, pal! But hey, I'll still be cheering ya on from the sidelines." — Street Merchant (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Furthermore, once you have at least 30 hero points, the Bear Minimum outfit will gain extraordinary powers!" — Mr. Tudor (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Naturally, only those who follow the way of the hero can make use of this special gift... To prevent such power from falling into the hands of false heroes, it will be taken away if you step out of line" — Mr. Tudor (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Of course, to err is human, is it not? Quite so. All is not lost if you lose the power you earned. To regain this gift, simply resume heroic activities by helping fellow heroes and earning more hero points." — Mr. Tudor (Tri Force Heroes)