Location and Uses
The Hero's Shield is used by Link at the beginning of Majora's Mask. It is a strong metal shield that can also be bought at the Trading Post in Clock Town for 80 Rupees, in case Link gets his shield swallowed by a Like Like.
The shield bears many similarities to the Hylian Shield's features, including a red bird, the blue base, the Triforce, and the metal decals. However, the Hero's Shield features a simplified and abstract style in comparison. The bird's head is more hunched, and the shape cannot be seen, but its face is visible. Its wings are also much larger than its body, and point down. The Triforce has moved from above the bird to below it, greatly decreased in size.
The Wind Waker
The Hero's Shield is the basic Shield received at the beginning of The Wind Waker. It bears a slight resemblance to the Hylian Shield once used by the Hero of Legend. The Shield is sturdy and provides adequate protection against most attacks, although its flimsy appearance is mocked by Tetra. Despite this, the Hero's Shield will not burn upon contact with fire like most wooden Shields.
The Shield is an heirloom belonging to Link's family. It is said that the family Shield was the legendary Shield used by the Hero himself. The Shield is given to Link by his Grandma before he leaves Outset Island to save his sister, Aryll. It is with sadness that Grandma gives Link the Shield, as it symbolizes his departure from the island to face great danger. Link uses the Shield throughout a large portion of the game before obtaining the Mirror Shield in the Earth Temple, after which the Hero's Shield disappears from Link's inventory.
The Shield is predominantly brown as opposed to the blue seen in Majora's Mask. The Triforce is in the very center of the shield. There are long swirls surrounding it as well as three bolts at its corners. A winged creature with horns replaces the bird, but unlike the Majora's Mask version, it faces up with wings spread out like the original Hylian Shield.
Breath of the Wild
- The Hero's Shield appeared in the SpaceWorld 2000 Tech Demo for the Nintendo GameCube. It was however wielded by the older incarnation of Link.
- The Small Shield in The Minish Cap, and the Shields in Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, resemble the Hero's Shield in The Wind Waker.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||勇者の盾 (Yuusha no Tate)||Hero's Shield|
|FrenchCA||Bouclier du Heros (MM3D)|
|FrenchEU||Bouclier du Héros (TWW)
Bouclier du Brave (MM)
|Italian||Scudo dell'Eroe||Hero's Shield|
|Spanish||Escudo del Héroe||Hero's Shield|
|SpanishLA||Escudo del héroe (MM3D)||Hero's shield|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 127 (MM | TWW)
- "In the olden days, this was the day boys were finally considered to be men. They were taught the ways of the sword to prepare them for battle with their enemies. Hanging the family shield on the wall as decoration is another tradition that has been carried down from those days." — Link's Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "You got the Hero's Shield! This is the legendary shield said to have been used by the hero himself!" — N/A (The Wind Waker)