Happy Mask Salesman
|Happy Mask Salesman|
Happy Mask Salesman artwork from Majora's Mask 3D
|Race||Hylian (OoT, MM)|
|Other Media||Majora's Mask manga|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Light and Dark
The Happy Mask Salesman is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Happy Mask Salesman opens the Happy Mask Shop in the Market after Link delivers Zelda's Letter to the guard standing near the entrance to Death Mountain Trail. Once the shop is open, Link can speak to him to become a "happiness salesman." This starts a Mask Trading Sequence where Link can borrow each of the shop's masks and sell them to people. After selling all four masks, Link receives the Mask of Truth, which allows him to understand what Gossip Stones say. Along with this, he can return to the Happy Mask Shop to borrow all of the masks he has previously sold as well as four new mask.
Throughout the Trading Sequence, the Happy Mask Salesman is usually in a cheerful mood, encouraging Link as he is selling the masks. However, if Link does not return with the Rupees for the sold mask, the Salesman will become angry and threaten him. If Link returns to the shop later, he will no longer be upset.
As an adult, the Happy Mask Salesman is nowhere to be found. He is last seen during the ending credits celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch.
Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, the Happy Mask Salesman was traveling through the woods in search for masks. However, he was ambushed and knocked out by the Skull Kid and his two friends, Tatl and Tael. While the Salesman was unconscious, the imp stole Majora's Mask from his bag and became possessed by its evil powers.
When Link arrives in Termina, he too is assaulted by the Skull Kid, who steals his Ocarina of Time and rides away with Epona. Link chases after the Skull Kid, who turns him into a Deku Scrub. Tatl, who was left behind by the Skull Kid and Tael, decides to follow Link. The two of them make their way to the Clock Tower, where they meet the Happy Mask Salesman. He reveals that he has been following Link, and that he knows of a way to return him to his former self. However, he first needs to reclaim his Ocarina from the Skull Kid. In exchange, the Salesman asks Link to return the "precious mask" that was stolen from him within three days, before he has to depart from Termina.
Just a few hours before the Moon falls, Link and Tatl confront the Skull Kid at the top of the Clock Tower. The hero retrieves his Ocarina and plays the "Song of Time," which transports him back to the beginning of the three day cycle. He then returns to the Happy Mask Salesman with his Ocarina, who teaches him the "Song of Healing," a melody that heals troubled spirits and turns them into masks. After the song is played, the Deku spirit is encased in the Deku Mask and Link returns to his Hylian form. Having fulfilled his promise, the Happy Mask Salesman asks for his end of the deal. After learning that Link failed to retrieve Majora's Mask, he becomes distressed and shakes Link out of frustration. He tells Link of the great lengths that he went through to obtain the mask, as well as its true nature. He explains that if the mask is not taken back from the Skull Kid, something horrible will happen. He begs Link to recover the mask for him, once again stressing the fact that he must leave in just three days, which is the day of the Carnival of Time, as well as the time remaining before the Moon crashes into Clock Town. As Link and Tatl set off to recover Majora's Mask, the Happy Mask Salesman waits patiently inside the Clock Tower for their return.
Once Link successfully defeats the evil inside Majora's Mask, the Moon vanishes, thus saving the land of Termina from destruction. The Happy Mask Salesman finally obtains his mask, which has seemingly lost its evil power. As he is in the middle of his travels, he bids farewell and implies that Link should return to Hyrule. After commenting on the number of people who Link made happy, he walks away and disappears.
The Happy Mask Salesman seems to know a about Link and his previous adventures, mentioning that retrieving Majora's Mask should be of no difficulty to someone like him. Moreover, if Link wears a mask and speaks to him with it on, he will say something about that mask: what emotion it is filled with, its rarity, or something special about it.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, the Happy Mask Salesman owns a mask shop on the outskirts of Lynna City. He is starving and will give Link the Doggie Mask in exchange for something to eat, namely the Tasty Meat from the Tokay cook. His appearance is almost identical to previous games, the one notable difference being his ears which are rounded and not pointed.
- The Happy Mask Salesman has nine masks attached to his bag. One of them features the face found on the Mirror Shield and another one is based on Mario.
- Hacking into the Majora's Mask 3D files reveals that the face models used for the Moon Children is that of the Happy Mask Salesman. In the original game, their faces had no texture.
- The Happy Mask Salesman appears in a Miiting released to promote Majora's Mask 3D.
|Names in Other Regions|
| Happy Mask Shop Owner
(Ocarina of Time)
| Happy Mask Salesman|
|Japanese||店主 (Tenshu)||しあわせのお面屋 (Shiawase no O-Men Ya)|
|French||Propriétaire de la Foire aux Masques||Vendeur de Masques|
|German||Maskenhändler||Besitzer des Fröhlichen Maskenladens|
|Italian||Mercante di maschere (OoT3D)||Felice, Venditore di maschere (MM3D)|
|Spanish||Dueño de la Tienda de Máscaras Felices|| Viajero de la Tienda de Máscaras Felices (MM)|
Vendedor de máscaras (MM3D)
- "Have you been to the Happy Mask Shop that just opened in the Hyrule Castle Town Market? Everyone is talking about it!" — Guard (Ocarina of Time)
- "We deal in masks that bring happiness to everyone! How would you like to be a happiness salesman? I'll lend you a mask. You sell the mask and bring the money back here. If you want to read the fine print, take a look at the sign right over there. After you've sold all the masks, you will become happy yourself! Have faith..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "As a reward... I will lend you this special mask. This is the Mask of Truth. It is a mysterious mask passed down by the Sheikah." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh! You haven't sold the newest mask yet. Just have faith... Keep trying a little longer." — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "What?! You don't have my money?! How dare you! You'd better bring me my money...or else!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Ocarina of Time)
- "I own the Happy Mask Shop. I travel far and wide in search of masks..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you? Now don't think me rude, but I have been following you... For I know of a way to return you to your former self." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "If you can get back the precious item that was stolen from you, I will return you to normal." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "In exchange... All I ask is that you also get back my precious mask that the imp stole from me. Except... The one thing is... I'm a very busy fellow... And I must leave this place in three days. How grateful I would be if you could bring it back to me before my time here is up..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Then listen to me. Please play this song that I am about to perform, and remember it well... This is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled spirits, turning them into masks. I am sure it will be of assistance to you in the future." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Ah, yes. I give you this mask in commemoration of this day." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Now, I have fulfilled my promise to you... So, please, give me that which you promised me... Don't tell me... My mask... You did... get it back...Didn't you? What have you done to me!!!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "I went to great lengths to get that legendary mask. When I finally had it... I could sense the doom of a dark omen brewing. It was that unwelcome feeling that makes your hair stand on end. And now... that imp has it... I am begging you! You must get that mask back quickly or something horrible will happen!" — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh...So the evil has left the mask after all... Well, now...I finally have it back." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Since I am in the midst of my travels... I must bid you farewell. Shouldn't you be returning home? Whenever there's a meeting a parting is sure to follow. However, the parting need not last forever..." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "...But, my, you sure have managed to make quite a number of people happy. The masks you have are filled with happiness. This is truly a good happiness." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "What? Is it not a simple task? Why, to someone like you, it should by no means be a difficult task." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm so hungry my stomach hurts. AHH! I'M HUNGRY! Pardon me. I just thought you could help." — Happy Mask Salesman (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ho ho... They're off to confront that little demon. Now for the real show. If I can only get that mask back, I'll no longer have a need for this world. I just move on. Ho... Ho ho ho..." (Majora's Mask manga (Viz Media), pg. 144)
- NewSuperMoiWii, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Unused Models, The Cutting Room Floor, published February 18, 2015, retrieved March 15 2015.
- Shesez, Boundary Break: Majora's Mask, YouTube, published June 30, 2016, retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "This is the third time we've held a Miiting, so we thought we would try something a little different - my guest today is not a developer, but a certain important character from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D." — MariChan, Majora's Mask 3D Miiting, Miiverse, published March 13, 2015, retrieved July 25, 2017.