Gwonam is a wizard from the island of Koridai. When Ganon and his evil forces conquer the island, he rides to King Harkinian's palace on his magic carpet to warn the King, Link and Zelda of the siege. Although the King readily offers their aid, Gwonam states that, according to a written prophecy, only Link can defeat Ganon and beseeches that he hurry and bring only his Sword. He takes Link to Koridai and instructs that he must conquer each of the island's "Faces of Evil"; mountains that are controlled and in the likeness of Ganon's minions.
Gwonam accompanies Link throughout his adventure and is seen in several cutscenes. He often points out the bosses that Link must defeat and their actions. In Firestone Lake, he also informs Link that Zelda had been kidnapped by Ganon during his absence from the castle. After defeating Lupay and finding the Crystal of Vision, Link locates Gwonam's house at the Hermit Flat. Gwonam gives Link the Lantern of Vision to help him see the invisible Sancromies that swarm the way to Ganon's Lair.
After Link defeats Ganon and wakes Zelda from her cursed sleep, Gwonam takes them back to Hyrule. He states that Koridai will return to harmony, and declares Link as the Hero of Koridai.
- In the area where Glutko is introduced by Gwonam, Gwonam is located two screens from the lava cavern's entrance. In the game's European back cover however, Glutko's introduction is seen with the cave entrance as the background. This suggests that Gwonam may have originally been located at the cave entrance in early versions of the game.
- "As you speed towards Koridai on Gwonam's magic carpet, you have only one thought: find Ganon and defeat him." (The Faces of Evil manual, pg. 2)
- "Your Majesty, Ganon and his minions have seized the island of Koridai!" — Gwonam (The Faces of Evil)
- "It is written, only Link can defeat Ganon." — Gwonam (The Faces of Evil)
- "At last, you have the vision to find my house!" — Gwonam (The Faces of Evil)
- "Now you will see the Sancromies that prevent your approach to Ganon! Go, with many blessings!" — Gwonam (The Faces of Evil)