Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Guru-Guru artwork from Majora's Mask 3D
|Race||Hylian (OoT | MM)|
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Light and Dark
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Phonograph Man stands inside the Kakariko Windmill playing his Phonograph. If adult Link pulls out his Ocarina of Time in front of him, he will teach Link the "Song of Storms." If young Link plays the song inside the windmill, it will start spinning really fast, draining Kakariko's well and opening the way to the Bottom of the Well.
In Majora's Mask, Guru-Guru is the Gorman Troupe's musician. Guru-Guru is seen at night in the Laundry Pool area of Clock Town playing his Phonograph since he has been kicked out of his room for practicing too loud. He is usually a happy person, and long ago was a member of an animal troupe. However, he was jealous of the dog being the leader of the troupe, who could always get any animal to follow his command. As such, Guru-Guru stole the dog's mask, called the Bremen Mask. He gives Link the mask as a reward for listening to his story and to get rid of his guilt.
He also appears during the day in the Stock Pot Inn in the room at the end of the hall.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Guru-Guru is located in the Eastern Suburbs. He can be found standing by his windmill playing his Phonograph, wanting to oil the windmill to make it go faster. Link can give him the Engine Grease in exchange for his Phonograph. This will make the windmill go faster.
His name is a Japanese onomatopoeia for "turning round and round, going around in circles," which also happens to be the Phonograph Man's favorite expression in Ocarina of Time.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "The official musician for Gorman's traveling troupe. He's so talented, he can even compose songs right on the spot!" — Bombers' Notebook (Majora's Mask 3D)
- "Guru-Guru" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 195 (MM3D) & 209 (OoS))
- "Phonograph Man" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 239)
- "I'm trying to come up with a musical theme inspired by this windmill...going around and around and around!!!" — Phonograph Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "What?! You've got an ocarina!! What the heck! That reminds me of that time, seven years ago! Back then a mean kid came here and played a strange song. It messed up this windmill! I'll never forget this song!" — Phonograph Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "Go around, go around, go around... What? It's going way too fast!" — Phonograph Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "Guru-Guru / Musician in the Gorman Troupe" — Bombers' Notebook (Majora's Mask)
- "They said I was much too loud when I practiced in my room. They got mad. Sigh...Now I'm sad I'll just stay here all night and away from their pad." — Guru-Guru (Majora's Mask)
- "Dear guest...Long ago, I was in an animal troupe, with dogs and donkeys and such." — Guru-Guru (Majora's Mask)
- "Why was the dog the leader?!? Was it 'cause something was wrong with me, sir??? Oh, that dog was an amazing leader! He always had a stellar troupe no matter what animals he had to work with..." — Guru-Guru (Majora's Mask)
- "That's why I stole it... The dog's mask. I stole it." — Guru-Guru (Majora's Mask)
- "But I no longer need it... I give it to my guest." — Guru-Guru (Majora's Mask)
- "It seems Guru-Guru, the traveling musician, had the Bremen Mask..." — Gossip Stone (Majora's Mask)
- "Go around, go around! If I could just oil it, it would go around more quickly..." — Guru-Guru (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Engine Grease? Will that make it go quickly? Really? Take my Phonograph!" — Guru-Guru (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Go around, go around! Is it going too fast?" — Guru-Guru (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Go around! Go around and around and around! What fun! I'm so happy!" — Phonograph Man (Ocarina of Time)